close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Inserting eCart 5 into existing website

Thread began 3/09/2010 11:14 pm by Bruce | Last modified 3/23/2010 12:02 pm by Jason Byrnes | 6416 views | 39 replies |

Bruce

Inserting eCart 5 into existing website

Hi,
I finished all the preparative setup for inserting the eCart 5 into my existing website.
Here is the list of what I did so far:

1- Setting up a Testing Server (Successfully done)
2- Defining a dynamic site in Dreamweaver (Successfully done)
3-Importing .SQL file (from WA) into MySQL Query Browser and phpMyAdmin.
4-Creating of database connection in Dreamweaver (Successfully done)

I have a website with 400 items and I need to add ‘Add to Cart‘ button for all of them.
I was recommended here (in Forum) to do Dynamic eCart with database because of the high quantity of my items and because it’s easier than to add ‘Add to Cart ‘button separately for each item.
So I need some help and assistance to start this step correctly and efficiently.
Just I let you know this is my first time I do dynamic pages, so I apologize if I ask the questions that may seem easy and obvious to you but difficult for me. Please be patient.

1)
According to the ecart_gsg.pdf document it says:
Open any PHP page of your website from the Dreamweaver Files panel.
Question 1:
All my WebPages are in HTML format. Should I convert them to PHP format?
If the answer is yes, so how can I convert them to PHP file in order to add “eCart” and in which folder should I save them after conversion?

2)
According to the Help document:
To complete General configuration for the ‘Add to Cart’ button:
1. From the Cart name list, select the eCart object available on the page, which corresponds to the shopping cart to be populated with this item.
Question 2:
Since I have 400 products in my website do I need to create 400 different shopping cart each time I add the ‘Add to Cart’ button for each item?

3)
According to the Help document:
Dynamic Add to cart buttons:
Select a recordset on the page which provides the item's definition information.
Specify the column within the recordset, which contains the unique id for the item.
Question 3:
I made a Recordset in Dreamweaver CS3 and I selected from Database items > Tables > products and clicked OK.
Did I choose the right database item?
How can I edit and enter my items information (e.g. Item name, item description, prices, etc…) into Recordset in order to insert the ‘Add to Cart’ button to my items?

Thank you in advance.
Please see the snap shot:

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

1) yes, the html p[ages will need to converted to php pages. this simply done by changing the file extension to .php:

page.htm

to:
page.php

2) No, you will have one cart object.

Think in terms of a brick and mortar store.

The cart object is basically akin to the shopping cart trolly you push up one isle of products and down the other.

You pick an item off the shelf and add it to the cart trolly by using the add to cart button.

3) The products tabel contains columns for the Item name, item description, prices, etc….

A recordset is comprised of two main components:
the SELECT statement and the FROM statement:

SELECT *
FROM products

The SELECT statements determines which columns will be returned. The "*" means All Columns. The FROMN Statement determines which tabel the information is coming from.

When you insert the Add to cart button server behavior to the page, you will be able to bind the cart columns to the columns from the products recordset.

Bruce

Cart object, Recordset, Add to Cart button setup

Hi Jason,
Thanks for your reply.

The cart object is basically similar to the shopping cart trolley you push up one isle of products and down the other.  

Q1)
Is the cart object (called eCart1 in my webpage) that I inserted into my webpage going to be the shopping cart of my webpage?
Is that correct?

Q2)
I created a Recordset and called it ‘rsClassyJewelers’ (see the snap shot).
How can I insert and edit my own product’s information into this ‘rsClassyJewelers’ Recordset?

Q3)

I want to insert a’ Add To Cart’ button to my webpage for the first product.
What file should I select in display page window in ‘Redirect > Go to page’?
See the snap shot.
Thanks.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

1) Yes, the cart object is the Stores Shopping cart.

2) A recordset returns information that is stored in the database. For the rsClassyJewelers recordset to return your product information, you must first enter the data in the products tabel of your database.

You can either do that by manually adding new records to your tabel suing a tool like phpMyDAMIN or SQLYog to access your database, or you could create an administrative back end site to manage your database using DataAssist. see the "How to create an Administrative back-end" tutorial in the How To section of the DataAssist support page:
dataassist/

3) you need to create a master detail page set. The master page is a page that shows all of the products in a list with a link to a detail page. The link to the detail page passes the productID as a querystring variable.
productdetail.php?prodID=2

the details page filters the productID column of the product table on the querystring that is passed.

The add to cart button will be placed on the product detail page. by using the recordset bindings, it will get the informant for the correct product.

Bruce

Hi Jason,
Thanks for you reply.
Your reply regarding the Recordset is helpful.

3) you need to create a master detail page set. The master page is a page that shows all of the products in a list with a link to a detail page. The link to the detail page passes the productID as a querystring variable.
productdetail.php?prodID=2  

The layout of my website is different and does not have a master detail page for each product.
When mouse over the thumbnails we can see the enlarged image of the product. See the link:
colored_gemstones_rings1.html

Regarding databases:

You can either do that by manually adding new records to your tabel suing a tool like phpMyDAMIN or SQLYog to access your database…  

I looked at the document phpMyadmin and SQLYog in their respective web site and I can say it’s very complicated to me and it does not help me. I have no knowledge and experience in with these complicated software.

...or you could create an administrative back end site to manage your database using DataAssist. see the "How to create an Administrative back-end" tutorial in the How To section of the DataAssist support page:
http://www.webassist.com/support/dataassist/  

I looked also at your WA link about ‘Administrative back-end’ of the Data Assist. The problem is, I have to buy extra software from WebAssist to accomplish the database, and it’s going to cost me extra money that I cannot afford. This was advertised differently when I bought the eCart from WebAssist. I am really stuck and frustrated.

Here are the advertising features about eCart in WA website:
New Features in eCart 5!
o Quick set up and configuration
o No database knowledge required

Here are the extra software that I will need to make a ‘Administrative back-end’ according to the Support data assistance document:

Create an administrative back-end with WebAssist extensions
What Do You Need to Start?
Dreamweaver 8, CS3, or CS4
DataAssist
Digital File Pro (Dreamweaver CS3 or CS4)
SecurityAssist
Cookies Toolkit
Validation Toolkit
CSS Menu Writer

As you can see I have to buy all the above software to make an ‘Administrative back-end’ and this is out of my possibilities.
Sorry to say that but I am really confused and frustrated.

Regards.

Bruce

Excel database to Mysql

Hi,
Apparently my thread was forgotten and nobody from WebAssist replied.
I posted my topic in 3/12/2010 and I asked for support but nobday shows up.
Why? Is it something wrong with what I am saying here about your eCart advertising?...:confused:

Nevermind, you can maybe help me about Database Import to Mysql.
I gave a try to make my database with the Excel program that I have in my computer and I did some research on Google and I found out that we can import excel database(save as .csv file format) to phpMyadmin Mysql.
I save my Excel DB as .csv and try to import in phpMyadmin Mysql but I get the Error Message below:

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'ProductID,ProductName,ProductCategoryID,ProductPrice RW004,DIA .75CT 18KT/WG,Eng' at line 1.

What could be the reason?

I just let you know that I tried to install MySQL GUI tools for importing myDB to Mysql but it failed in installation.
According to Mysql website, it is not supported for my OS (Mac OSX 10.4.11 PowerPC G5).
See the link:
eol-notice.html

Any help would be appreciated.
Regards.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Your post was not forgotten. Our reply policy is 1 to 2 business days. 3/12 was Friday. We are not available on the weekends. I'm sorry I was not able to get to your post on friday, but I can address your questions today.

the marketing is correct, you do not need to have any database knowledge to use eCart when you are creating a static cart. In your case however, with 400 items, you would need to add 400 add to cart buttons.

If you do not wish to learn anything about databases, than this will be your best bet, create a static add to cart button for each product you wish to sell.

This is a rather tedious task however, and can be simplified by creating a database. the real question is:
Do you wish to embark on the tedium of creating 400 add to cart buttons, or learn to use a data base.

Are you crating this database locally? if so, a good tool to use is SQLPro
www.sequelpro.com/

it is a fairly easy to use GUI tool that will allow you to enter information directly to your db.

as for the error you are getting, I would need to see the .csv file you are using top trouble shoot.

Bruce

Hi Jason,
Thanks for your reply.

Do you wish to embark on the tedium of creating 400 add to cart buttons, or learn to use a data base.  

I prefer learning to use database and right now I am doing but I need your help and assistance.

Are you crating this database locally? if so, a good tool to use is SQLPro
www.sequelpro.com/  

If you mean if I create it in my computer, then the answer is Yes.
Thank you for the link. I will install and try Sequel Pro.

as for the error you are getting, I would need to see the .csv file you are using top trouble shoot.  

See the attachment file.
Regards.

Attached Files
CJ_database.csv.zip

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I'll give any help I can to get you started using a database. If theere are any specific questions you have, please let me know.

it looks to me like the error is being caused by the Column Names in the first row of the csv file.

Delete the first row so that the column names are not included.

Bruce

Hi Jason,
Thank you and I appreciate your assistance and help.
I did remove the first row with column names (ProductID,ProductName,ProductCategoryID,Prices ) from my database ,saved and tried to Import in phpMyAdmin MySQL but I got another error message:
#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'RW004,DIA .75CT 18KT/WG,EngagementRings," $3,150.00 " RW014,DIA 1.25CT 18KT/WG,E' at line 1.

I have no idea what's going on.
Could you please take a look at my database zip file (see zip attachment) and let me know if there is something wrong in.

Question:
How should I assign the thumbnails images for each product in database?
Thank you.

Attached Files
CJ_database.csv.zip

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...