close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Adding Taxes

Thread began 9/29/2009 8:20 am by jenbar3378469 | Last modified 2/03/2010 1:15 pm by Jason Byrnes | 5828 views | 11 replies |

jenbar3378469

Adding Taxes

I have had my store up and running fairly smoothly for a while, but now I need to add tax for just one state. I apologize if this is a redundant thread, but I ran a search and could not find the info I am looking for.

How would I now go about adding in the tax rules? Do I first need to add something to my database? And then what?

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

When the user select s a state on the checkout page and pots to the confirm page, a session variable is create to hold the select ed state:
eCartCheckoutForm_state_province

on the confirm page, open the server behaviors panel. Double click the eCart object server behavior, it will be the first in the list, to open the eCart object editor.

On the Tax tab create a new tax rule.

Set the Triggers to:
If Session Variable exists "eCartCheckoutForm_state_province"

AND
based on Session variables value-
If the session variable "eCartCheckoutForm_state_province" has a value "=" to "CA"

Replace CA with the state abbreviation you wish to use.

For the calculation use:
Based On Taxable Subtotal
Cart Taxable Total 'Times" "<your tax rate>"

jenbar3378469

Thank you Jason, this solution sounds fairly straightforward, however what if I can only charge tax on some of the items in my store? How would I set it up so that the tax rule would only apply to certain items, but not other items?

Thanks!

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Crate a column in your cart for taxable items, for examples sake lets call it "taxable"

in the add to cart button behavior, set the taxable column to 1 for taxable items and 0 for none taxable items.

When creating the tax rule, for the calculation use "Based on Items with a Specific Value":
Total of [TotalPrice] where [taxable] has a value of [1] [times] [<your tax rate>]

jenbar3378469

Jason,

Thanks for your help with this! I did everything you said throughout the thread for the state of VA only tax and the taxable items, however my subtotal and tax rows are not showing up on the confirm page. I think I may be able to fix this myself, but my main problem is I can't create the tax rule because the pull down menu does not show my new "taxable" column. Any ideas? Or, perhaps you have the php code for how this should look on the confirm page?

Thanks again!

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

The taxable column must be created in the cart object on the Columns tab.

Can you send screen shots showing the columns tab of the cart object and the problem you are having when creating the rule. compress them in a zip file and attach the zip file to your reply so they will be large enough to read.

jenbar3378469

Hi Sorry for the long delay on this. This project was temporarily put on hold and it is now back on. Please see the attached files. Can you please tell me why my taxes are not working at all and why my "Subtotal" and my "Taxes" are not showing up on my shopping_cart.php page? I have attached those files also. Let me know if you need anything else!

I am uploading the screenshots and the confirm.php page along with the shopping_cart.php page.

Thanks!!

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

There are no files attached to your reply.

Can you please send those files again so I can look into the problem.

jenbar3378469

Here are the attachments again.
Please help!

Thanks!

Attached Files
jenbar_taxes_ecart.zip

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

so your tax rule is dependant on the eCart_checkoutForm_State_Province session variable and the Taxable column.

To Trouble shoot the issue, crate a new PHP page, and add a cart display to it, on the second page of the cart display, click the plus button to add more columns to the cart display, selct the taxable column so we can see the value that is stored in that column. Then, from the bindings panel, add the eCart_checkoutForm_State_Province session variable binding to the page so we can see the value being stored there. Once you have created this cart display page, please provide a link so I can test your cart.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...