close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

don't get it

Thread began 5/24/2009 5:32 pm by mstruthers9080 | Last modified 5/27/2009 1:32 pm by Justin Nemeth | 6760 views | 18 replies |

mstruthers9080Beta Tester

don't get it

I watched the overview movie advert on this site. Then I bought PowerCMS and unzipped the files before copying them to my site. Then, I uploaded them with DWCS4. But I don't see what the 'advert' suggests I see!!!

Am I not supposed to see pretty much what the advert suggests?

Sign in to reply to this post

tom250037Beta Tester

There is a considerable amount more to do that just uploading the files.
Check out the read_me.htm file in the root. That lays out what you need to do. In a nutshell, you will need to configure your host to parse php, create a MySql database, use the included sql file to built the database tables etc.
The documentation that webassist provides is pretty detailed.

I also suggest that you remove the link to your site, or remove the pages until you get your server configured to parse php pages.

Hope that helps some.

Tom

Hello Tom,

When you say 'you will need to configure your host to parse php', do you mean I need to contact the hosting company and ask them to do this? Not sure I know what you mean.

Looking at the promotional text on the site seemed to indicate that it worked 'straight out of the box' and I would just need to be able to view it and make any visual changes necessary to 'brand it'. That's why I uploaded it to a testing site. However, I don't seem to be able to see anything useful to help me make necessary changes.

It doesn't seem to work. Oh well. Only £50. Anyone know of any other products other than 'Contribute' that can be set up easily for clients to manually adjust their sites?

Cheers for the help anyway.

webassist309571

Easy to set up CMS

I doubt that you find an even more easy to set up CMS than PowerCMS. All CMS that I know require a database (e.g. MySQL), need to parse PHP files (which is currently not the case on your server) and finally need some setup to connect to the database and inject the data into either a HTML page or a template.

You should definitely invest some time to understand how such a CMS works in general. Once you got that, you'll see, that it's quite simple to work with PowerCMS.

Regarding the PHP files on your server: you obviously run a Apache server, which is good. Usually these are set up in a way, that files with the extension .php are not delivered as such to the browser, but they are parsed through the PHP interpreter first and all PHP code within these files is executted and THEN delivered to the browser.

There are two ways to make this happen:

1. in a Apache config file, to which most hosting companys don't give you access

2. in a file called .htaccess which is a textfile, containing instructions for the Apache server

If in doubt, ask your hosting company to either set up the server (1.) or create the .htaccess for you (2.).

steve89430

Try this

www.smartdecat.co.uk does everything.

tom250037Beta Tester

I agree that PowerCMS is one of the easiest cms packages to set up.
When you bought it, and clicked download, there is a wealth of information on that page.
To get back to that page, log back in to your account in Webassist, Click on My Downloads. Choose PowerCMS from the list, then click on Support Resources on the left, then click on PowerCMS Help Resources.

Start with the getting Started Guide. In those pdfs on that page is all the information that you will need to set up PowerCMS.

Thanks.
Tom

Hello,

I looked at the How to import a MySQL file PDF and read the following:

What Do You Need to Start?

A .sql script file containing a CREATE TABLE command#

MySQL Query Browser or PHPMyAdmin Other MySQL database tools will require similar steps.

An empty MySQL database already created
Note: Most .sql script files provided through WebAssist.com require MySQL server 4.2 or higher for it to be successfully imported. Any previous version may return an error. If you receive an error when importing to your live server, you may want to contact your hosting provider to confirm the version that is being used.
Using MySQL Query Browser
MySQL Query Browser is part of the MySQL GUI Tools available at mysql.com/. These same steps can be used for most other MySQL administrator tools.
Using the MySQL Query Browser, connect to your MySQL Server.
From the Schemata panel, select the database you intend to add the new database table to.
Choose File > Open Script.
Navigate to the .sql file you wish to import.
Click Open.
................................................................................

OK - so I downloaded the MySQL GUI as stated (although doesn't appear to be included in my 'PowerCMS' download.

No 1. above states - 'Using the MySQL Query Browser, connect to your MySQL Server.'

Where do I find this in my PowerCMS folder, if at all?

To repeat the title of this thread, I don't get it.

When I've used Adobe Contribute in the past, I simply installed the prog and entered a couple of passwords.

webassist309571

Before you go any further with the database you should make sure, that PHP files are parsed. Otherwise PowerCMS will never be able to run.

You probably need to talk to your provider about this. While you're at it, ask, if they can set up a MySQL database for you. You will then get:

- Database address (e.g. localhost)
- Database name (can be anything)
- Username
- Password

Then ask, how to access phpMyAdmin (it's almost 100% certain, that you can have access to that). When you are in phpMyAdmin just import the SQLfile from PowerCMS.

Once you have these steps accomplished you're almost there...

tom250037Beta Tester

As stated above, be first thing to do is contact your hosting provider. You do not need to download mysql gui to your computer, those things will be installed on your hosting providers server.
If your host supports php and mysql, then contact them about how to get it working, and access to phpMyAdmin, which is an online tool to help you manage your mysql databases.

Any hosting provider should be able to answer those questions for you. You may need to change hosts, or plans

It looks like you are hosting through 123-reg.co.uk, and looking through their offerings, it looks like they might only support perl (cgi) scripting. In that case you would need to find a new host. I believe one of the earlier posts suggested a UK host.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the info.

You say, 'You do not need to download mysql gui to your computer, those things will be installed on your hosting providers server.'

Does this mean I should ignore the instruction in the PDF that states the following?

What Do You Need to Start?

A .sql script file containing a CREATE TABLE command

MySQL Query Browser or PHPMyAdmin Other MySQL database tools will require similar steps.

An empty MySQL database already created

Using MySQL Query Browser
MySQL Query Browser is part of the MySQL GUI Tools available at mysql.com/. These same steps can be used for most other MySQL administrator tools.
Using the MySQL Query Browser, connect to your MySQL Server.

Not quite sure, therefore, why it states I should download it from the link provided. All quite confusing then!

Thanks anyway for the assistance. I'll probably leave it now seeing as it isn't anywhere near as clear as suggested in the promo advert.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...