close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

What is "->"

Thread began 5/03/2009 6:43 pm by dan361579 | Last modified 5/04/2009 1:44 pm by dan361579 | 2072 views | 2 replies |

dan361579

What is "->"

I can't find this in any PHP manual. I'm new to PHP, so maybe someone could help. I do find "=>" as an assignment operator equivalent to ".=" .

Is "->" the same idea as "=>"?? It appears to be used that way, but without a definition, I'm unsure what the scope of its use is.

Thank you!

Sign in to reply to this post

Danilo Celic

-> is not the same thing as =>

-> is used with objects to "point" to a method of the object to call, or a property value. For example:
$myClass->email='admin@example.com';

This says assign the value admin@example.com to the email property of the $myClass object.

=> is used with arrays in PHP. One example:
$arr = array('fruit' => 'apple');

The => in this case is used to assign the value apple to the fruit "index" within the $arr array.

=> is also used in looping over arrays, in particular over "keyed" arrays. Keyed arrays or as they are also called, hashes, use strings to access the items in the array. The previous example uses fruit as a key in the $arr array. To loop over the array, one way to do it would be:
foreach ($arr as $key => $value) {
echo($key . ': ' . $value);
}

This loops over the array, and for each item, $key is set to the key name, in our array example the first item is fruit. $value is assigned the value stored in the array with the key name, in this case apple.

Please do read up more:
PHP operators
PHP Arrays
PHP Classes
Make sure to visit the links on the left hand side of each page and there is further discussion of the main topic.

The PHP.net site in general is quite useful in figuring out what is going on, so please do wander around it.

dan361579

Great Response!

Although I used the links you added and still couldn't find "->" on the PHP.net website.

I understand your clear explanation without difficulty. Thank you!

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...