close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

3 issues

Thread began 12/19/2009 11:03 pm by petermac | Last modified 1/18/2010 7:15 pm by petermac | 4647 views | 20 replies |

Peter

3 issues

I modified an existing form created originally with the contact form solution pack. The first issue is I need all of the labels and boxes aligned with each other on the left, which they're not doing now. Second, the log in and search boxes were pushed up into the masthead with generation of the form on the page. They need to go back just under the masthead. Finally, when I complete the form and submit, it doesn't re-direct to anything other than back to the form. Is that right? Please help. The page is here. contactus.php
I just thought of a 4th issue that didn't come to me late last night. The file attach fields are all marked with an asterisk as thought they're required fields. I noticed this on the previews when designing the form and made sure I wasn't creating it as a required field. But sure enough when the final form was generated there they were anyway. So I need help with that as well. I think overall I could likely have taken care of many of these things myself if there was a user guide sufficiently detailed in explaining which files to tweak to change features of these forms. As it is, there seems to be so much code in for example to the css files, trying to cover every possible design permutation I MIGHT have chosen during the design phase. Very challenging (and time-consuming) for someone with light-to-moderate experience to find the right code and adjust to needs. This is partly why I purchased WA products to help me build some of these things fairly smoothly and quickly, not to mention learn some things in the process.

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

I think that most all of these things are you having problems with can be adjusted in the design of the form. With the for on the page selected go to the property inspector and click on the edit design button. In this interface you can make edits and adjustments to all of the various css properties that are governing the form.

When it comes to the required fields you are seeing in the form are there validations applied to them or do they just have the asterisk next to them? If it is just the asterisk that is there you should be able to remove this as part of the design of the form.

I was not able to view your page as it is a local one, but if you can post back with a link to the live page and some more detail about exactly how you want the items arranged or adjusted I can give you some pointers on how you could accomplish some of these things.

As for the redirecting this will all depend on what server side code you still have on the page. when the form submits and stays on the same page what do you see in the URL bar?

Peter

Here is what I was left with after taking a contact form solution pack form and modifying it with the form builder:
contactus

Any tips how to get the labels and boxes roughly aligned vertically and all nicely centered or balanced with the page would be much appreciated. Again, the documentation is woefully inadequate in guiding someone to specific files and locations to make basic adjustments once the form is developed with form builder.

I also want to remove the asterisks next to the upload file labels. Those are not required items but form builder placed them there by default and refused to remove them. And if you look at the Contact Me block at the top of the page, it has obvious problems itself running off the right side of the page.

The form is also not re-directing to the thank you page from the solution pack files. It simply brings the form page back up. The url that I see when this happens is this:
contactus.php?invalid=true

If you try to submit the form sitting on the website above, you should see a similar response:
contactus.php?invalid=true

The next thing of course would be getting the email with the form results to work too. No email is coming in at this point.

I also need to know where in the code I identify the location of the folder to place uploaded files. I have created one on my c drive one called uploads_test but can't find where in the code to place that reference. Also when I place the form on the external server for good and have an uploads folder, what code should I use in that spot to direct the uploaded file/s to the correct folder. Need some insight there too.

Whew, I think that's it. Thanks a lot for your help. I spent hours 2 evenings to go grappling with all of this. I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but not so thick I couldn't figure some things out if at least pointed in the right direction with the documentation. But I also expected the form builder to do a much better job of seamlessly modifying my existing form created by another WA product, the solution pack.

Peter

Peter

Hi I was hoping someone could tell me if some assistance from WA is in progress on these items. I've noticed a couple emails come in from my website form with very cryptic addresses and wondered if they're a result of something happening behind the scenes at WA. I'd also like to know if I need to move on to a plan B. Thanks.
Peter

Pro Covers FX

Form Problems

Hi Peter,

I looked at your form and all the problems seem to be in the css file for the form.

Some of the text is being aligned to the right when it should be textalign left.

You could try to rebuild the form to see if that will fix it. The top Contact me is flowing out of its container.

Enjoy
Pro Covers FX

Let me know if this helps but it looks like a css problem, if you have firefox you can look at it in firebug, IE 8 also has a tool now to look at the code F12.

Peter

Thanks. Yes I assumed the layout problems were CSS related. My larger concern is that this all happened simply because I used the form builder extension to modify a form created by the solution pack. Unfortunately the extension and/or documentation makes it difficult for me to quickly resolve this. I am still learning this CSS stuff and purchased the WA extensions specifically to help me streamline some web design pieces, like forms. After all these products are marketed as "solutions" and "automatic" and I have high expectations when I buy them that indeed they live up to that billing. So I still need and expect WA to help resolve my issues, layout and the other separate problems with the file upload and email features. I'm certainly hoping that is happening behind the scenes as we speak. I do appreciate your input though and taking the time.

Office Guy-172461

Let's keep things in perspective. You started with:

"I modified an existing form created originally with the contact form solution pack."

And you go on with:

"After all these products are marketed as "solutions" and "automatic" and I have high expectations when I buy them that indeed they live up to that billing."

The solutions are designed to work out-of-the-box. If they don't do that, it needs to be addressed. But when you modify them, you share some of the responsibility for the changes. One bad change to CSS can look like a disaster, but it's often just as easy to fix.

"I'm certainly hoping that is happening behind the scenes as we speak", indicates that you missed this message at the top of the forum:

"The WebAssist office will be closed this Thursday and Friday for Christmas. The technical support team will be back in the office on Monday, December 28, by 9:00 a.m. PST and will resume assisting customers at that time. Please be patient as we tend to experience a high volume of threads over holiday weekends."

This is not a lack of support issue, but a support gone for the holidays issue. The best way to learn how these tools work is to try them on new pages before modifications. Once you get familiar with how they work, everything falls into place rather quickly. When you work with modified pages, you never know if the problem ls with the extension, or your code.

Instead of grouping all of the issues into one post that's hard to follow, I suggest you put each issue into a separate post. That will make it easier to track what's going on and people can work on the parts they know the answer to without the distraction of other issues.

It would be easier to help if we knew what documentation you are referring to when you say it's difficult. The more with know about your issues, the easier it is to help.

Have a look at this guide:

10 Tips for getting quick help from a support forum
145/

Peter

You're welcome to your perspective. I feel mine is equally valid and am looking for help from WA on my thread at this point, OK?

Office Guy-172461

Sure. They will be back Monday morning.

Eric Mittman

I have looked at your pages online and they do not appear the same as my pages that I have edited with Form Builder. If you can please detail the steps you have taken to implement CSS Form Builder with this form. If I can get the form looking the same I would be able to give you instructions on what you can do from within Form Builder to achieve the desired result.

When editing the form with Form Builder were you able to change any of the labels for the elements and remove the asterisk?

As for the problem with the form not going to the correct page it seems that there is some validations that are failing based on the URL that you posted with the invalid = true in it. What is the result that you get with this form when it is in it's default state?

I think it would be best to try and work these issues out one at a time, it can get very confusing to try and deal with multiple issues at once. For starters please review the steps you are taking with Form Builder to edit the form so we can work out the display issues, then we can move onto these other issues.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...