close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

how do I display list label instead of ID value

Thread began 10/27/2009 2:54 pm by jenkolaka19379118 | Last modified 11/10/2009 5:03 pm by Jimmy Wu | 3789 views | 8 replies |

jenkolaka19379118

how do I display list label instead of ID value

Hi all,

I have a dynamic menu where users can make one selection. When the form is submitted however the value is passed so I get the ID number in my email instead od the label. How do i display the label field in my email as oppose to the value?

Sign in to reply to this post

Jimmy Wu

I'm not 100% sure on your situation, but what you can do is instead of sending the ID value in the link, you can put the label value instead. Or you can put both the label value and the ID value into the dynamic link and then you would be able to pass the label value into the email as well. If that doesn't help, please clarify your situation and how you are setting up your menu and email.

jenkolaka19379118

Hi Jimmy,

I have a form with a dropdown menu populated from a recordset. The dynamic menu value is set to the ID column and the label is set to the description column of my database table. I have set it up this way because I have an insert record on this page and need to submit the ID to the database table field.

My universal email behaviour is set up to echo the form fields from my form. Unfortunately this means it is echoing the value from my dropdown menu. The value in this case is the ID. so instead of getting the description e.g.

canada

I am getting the ID e.g.

So my email is looking something like this e.g.

Subject: hi welcome to 1

body: thank you for enquiring about 1 today  

I need it to say;

subject: welcome to canada

body: thank you for enquiring about canada today.  

I am not sure how to echo this because I am binding the form element which is passing the value, which is my ID column.

Jimmy Wu

Instead of getting the value from the selected item get the text from the selected item. This should be the display text that you want.

jenkolaka19379118

Hi Jimmy,

Would you be able to explain how do this? It is probably straight forward but I am not sure how to get the value (ID number) into my database and then echo the label for the ID in the email, based on the selection of the user.

Jimmy Wu

Could you post the code for your email so that I can point out where the change needs to be made?

jenkolaka19379118

Hi Jimmy,

It is set up just to simply echo the selection made by the user dynamic menu (joblist)

Application For <?php echo ((isset($_POST["jobList"]))?$_POST["jobList"]:"")?>  

jenkolaka19379118

would anyone be able to help me with this please

Jimmy Wu

Sorry about the slow response on the issue. Are you posting to the same page that your form is on or is it to a different page?

One way you can get the correct value into the email is to use the jobList Post variable and creating a recordset that filters on that value. You will then have the record that you want displayed and can get the value from that record.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...