close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

need file made to get past firewall attn: eric

Thread began 10/22/2009 8:37 am by ruffteam | Last modified 10/22/2009 1:14 pm by ruffteam | 2835 views | 5 replies |

ruffteam

need file made to get past firewall attn: eric

hello eric. how are you?

could you make me a file to get past the firewall here at smc for
html editor
It's the same pc I always use (details are in support tickets from last time)

Q. I purchased iRite, so does this mean that I own html editor since I
participate in the annual subscription program? WA is keeping track of
this?

thank you.
david lawrence

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I have opened a support incident to help you with this issue.

The library subscription is currently a leasing option, so you will only have access to new versions while you are an active subscriber. You would not have access to HTML Editor v3 if you canceled the subscription unless you purchased it at that time.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

ruffteam

re: obsolete extensions when the subscription runs out

hello. thank you for making the file requested.

you wrote: "The library subscription is currently a leasing option, so you will only have access to new versions while you are an active subscriber. You would not have access to HTML Editor v3 if you canceled the subscription unless you purchased it at that time."

I thought one of the sales pitches for buying the annual subscription was that you get all the updates for the programs you own for free. In your answer above do you mean -
that new 'versions' are different from 'upgrades' and that although I would continue to 'own' all upgrades to my purchased product, I would not 'own' any 'new versions'. I would have to purchase any 'new versions' when my subscription runs out. In other words, my download list would roll back to the last 'upgrades' of my purchased products.
or do you mean -
that I don't get to keep the upgrades either and my download list will roll back to the original version of the product I bought up to the date I started my subscription.

In the past WA offered a substantial discount to customers who bought the 'new version' of a product they already had (within a certain time frame). Since I have the subscription, I am no longer offered any discount on purchasing a 'new version' in my 'upgrades' page offers. And with the subscription, any time frame for a discount on 'new versions' is on hold as long as the subscription runs. Does this mean, when my subscription runs out a year or more down the road, I will have to purchase all 'new versions' I have had access to for the retail price -- without a discount as an owner of the previous version of the same product?

No one will want to pay for a 'new version' while they have the subscription. But to be rolled back to an obsolete version and have to pay retail for everything that disappears when the subscription runs out, kind of makes ever cancelling the subscription not cost effective.

which takes me back to the original question everyone always asks -- what was the benefit of being a good customer when webassist was starting out and ramping up and purchasing all those extensions? When it looks like if you keep the subscription for a year or more and then it runs out, you will be rolled back to what you 'owned' before the subscription - all of which will be obsolete. On top of that, you will have to pay retail for all 'new versions' to maintain the websites you have written during this period. Is that the situation? It's not completely easy for me to understand. Thank you for your time in reading this and explaining it.

david

codamedia

Interesting post & question. I can see what "ruffteam" is asking here.

My position is that I own about 75% of anything WA has put out, and don't have a subscription yet. The subscription offer is great, and I am considering it moving forward.

But - What happens when I decide to cancel the subscription and all I own is "1 - 2 version old extensions". Will I be considered a long time customer that gets discounts on purchasing the latest versions - or will I be pushed back to a first time customer?

Why cancel a subscription: Well, I'm an ex Interakt user, and feel completely stung by their move to Adobe. Anything can happen, and should WA ever sell - I may want the change to buy hard copies/licenses of the software so I can support older sites.

Ruffteam brings up a great question! I'm interested in hearing an answer!

BTW: I think the subscription offer, the new products and your new support system is wonderful. WA has gained a huge amount of credibilty over the past year, and is doing a great job!

Anna Robinson

I will do my best to answer your questions. If you purchased iRite 1.x.x (i.e. 1.0.0), you own it and any *upgrades* to iRite 1 are free. Upgrades are considered any time the build number is updated where there are x's are in my example. So 1.0.4 would be free and 1.5.0 would be free and you would own those. As in the past, HTML Editor (which is like a iRite 2.0.0) would cost you an upgrade fee if you wanted to OWN it, which should show up on the Upgrades page under Your Account.

If you are in the subscription program, you are leasing the latest software, meaning now that HTML Editor is out, you are leasing v2.0.0. If there is an upgrade to it (2.0.1 or 2.5.0) or even a new version (3.0.0), you would be leasing those. The benefit is that you can use the latest and greatest for only your monthly or annual leasing cost.

The benefit of owning is of course that you own that license, regardless... but it is true that you must pay a purchase price to own. If we let everyone own the latest for a lease price, customers could cancel their subscription and we'd be essentially giving all of our software away.

In my opinion, the benefit of being a good customer to WebAssist years ago (as you asked, ruffteam) was that you purchased extensions that you have been able to use this entire time, which have hopefully paid off (and then some) in saving you time developing your websites or clients' websites. I guess I am saying that hopefully you have gotten value out of your purchase already. If you want to continue to have WebAssist's latest extensions, you can either continue to subscribe or you can outright purchase licenses.

As far as maintaining sites, the software you own isn't going away. If you have iRite 1.0.0 installed and never want to upgrade to the latest dot release or purchase a new version or subscribe to the extension library, you can still use iRite 1.0.0.

Codamedia, if you own the last version of an extension, you are offered a discount to purchase a new version, regardless of whether you've subscribed in between. If you are really concerned about having the rights to that license, owning may be a better option for you. The cost of leasing is hard to beat... but obviously you have to weigh out what is best for you. Hopefully this gives you enough answers to do so. You can also welcome to call/email Sales if you have further questions.

ruffteam

re: the benefit of being a good customer

hi Anna,
re: "the benefit of being a good customer to WebAssist years ago (as you asked, ruffteam) was that you purchased extensions that you have been able to use this entire time, which have hopefully paid off (and then some) in saving you time developing your websites or clients' websites. I guess I am saying that hopefully you have gotten value out of your purchase already."

I feel I should reply and say, yes I have already gotten full value out of the WA_extensions I purchased. Well, there were several extensions I hadn't got around to using before I bought into the subscription plan, but that's ok. And I haven't made any money or customers or even really, had any hits yet. But as a borderline programmer this has always been a fun way to spend time. When we talk about the old days, I could say I miss more direct access and help from certain WebAssist programmers who meant a lot to me when I was starting out. But I still get to see them from time to time in the forums and I'm sure we'll all get by as the process moves along. Thank you for your time in writing.

David

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...