close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

DataAssist Search in conjunction with empty menu pick doesn't work

Thread began 4/04/2009 1:43 pm by tomm | Last modified 4/06/2009 10:56 am by Ray Borduin | 1999 views | 3 replies |

tomm

DataAssist Search in conjunction with empty menu pick doesn't work

The Data Assist script that handles searches doesn't seem to handle the case of a Drop-Down Menu Label with no value as would seem to be the reasonable way to handle it.

Here are some steps to demonstrate the issue I am having:

• I have a search form created by Data Assist where a field, say "Color", is originally specified as a Text Field whose ID and Name is "S_Color".

• If the value is blank, then the search result is all colors. This is the correct behavior

• I remove the text field and replace it with a Drop-down menu using the Dreamweaver interface, I give this new menu the ID and Name of "S_Color" but don't populate the menu with any Labels-Values

• I can now do a search and the result is again all colors. This is the correct behavior

• I populate the menu list with the following Label-Value pairs:

• Select a Color-
  • Red-Red
  • Blue-Blue
  • Green-Green

Note that the "Select a Color" label doesn't have a value

• Now if I execute a search, but choose "Select a Color", I would expect to again see all colors. Instead the search returns nothing. This is the incorrect behavior.

• If I go into Dreamweaver code view and specify a value="" for the "Select a Color" label ( i.e. Replace <option>Select a Color</option> with <option value="">Select a Color</option>), then the search will return all colors, the correct result.

Am I missing something?

TM

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

That is correct. If you leave a value blank it will behave as if the label is the value. You have to specifically set value=""

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

tomm

Sorry for my ignorance. Is that a standard HTML behavior or is it an artifact of the WA Search implementation?

Thanks,

TM

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Standard html... has nothing to do with WA Search other than when WA Search gets the value of that form element using standard practices, that is what it gets.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...