close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Search working on desktop but not mobile

Thread began 3/31/2020 11:18 am by Charles | Last modified 4/27/2020 2:51 pm by Ray Borduin | 739 views | 10 replies |

Charles

Search working on desktop but not mobile

My Search products box is working on desktop but not on mobile. If you could look at the attached file, perhaps you can see what I'm missing. One Search section begins on line 19 and the other on line 66

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

The main issue was that your <button> for mobile didn't have name="Search" and your search uses that as the trigger.

Another issue is that you had a <label> tag wrapping both the button and input, which caused iphones to immediately submit when focus was put into the input field.

A third issue is that your top.php include has doctype and head tags and so did your page causing invalid html.

I fixed all of those issues on your products_results-search.php page, but you would have to update the position of the top.php page similarly on other pages.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Charles

I did a file compare and clearly see the changes you made. I also think I understand the doctype and head tag redundancies you pointed out. I'll need to fix that. Thanks again for the help!

Charles

Your change got the Search working on mobile and I made the header change you suggested, but now we're finding that the Search isn't working on MAC desktops and laptops. If you could take a look, I'd appreciate it.

Attached Files
index.php

Ray BorduinWebAssist

What browser are you using? I tested on my mac and it seems to work. I tested with Safari, firefox, and Chrome

Charles

It is Safari. The example one is a MacBook Air 2019 running Mojave 10.14.16 although several others on different Macs report what I also saw on Browser Stack - you try to place the cursor in the box but it won't stay in the box. If you click the magnifying glass, you get all products as a result as if you did a blank search. Hope that's enough of a clue. As an extra point, the Search does work with Chrome on the same MAC so it does seem browser-related.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I'll have to reproduce it to fix it. I can't seem to see the issue on my mac.

If you can reproduce it then I can do screen sharing with you to reproduce and debug it on the machine where it happens.

It could have something to do with browser settings, firewalls, browser version, OS version. I just wouldn't know where to start without reproducing it first.

If you can get access to a machine that has the issue or even let someone else that has the issue do screen sharing with me, then I could try to figure it out.

Charles

Understood and thank you. Can you give me a couple of possible times - either Monday or Tuesday that work for you and I'll put you together with one of the two people that have MACs with the issue.

Charles

My son is available anytime today for a screenshare on the Search on Mac not working issue. A link to a video screen capture he did that shows the problem. His contact info is below.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I was able to get this issue resolved with your son.

Your top.php page had a label tag that surrounded both the input and the button. So when you clicked on the input field, you were technically clicking in the <label> and the first form element in that label was the button, so it was submitting the form.

The solution was to replace the label tag with a div tag. I think it may have also worked if I added a for="inputname" attribute to the existing label tag to it knew the label was for the input and not the button, but I don't think the label tag is necessary since you don't actually have a label in the code.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...