close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

I recently had a Geotrust SSL Certificate installed through 1 & 1. Now my store will not function properly at checkout.

Thread began 8/27/2015 12:39 pm by Adam | Last modified 9/08/2015 11:04 am by Ray Borduin | 3050 views | 16 replies |

Adam

I recently had a Geotrust SSL Certificate installed through 1 & 1. Now my store will not function properly at checkout.

When you add something to the cart it appears but once you select "Checkout" it thinks for a minute then goes to a page saying that my cart is empty...any ideas? I haven't touched any code at all, just added a few products. Checked Site Settings and everything seems the same. Not sure if the new SSL is messing with the checkout process, 1 & 1 installed the SSL.

http://www.plus-skateboards.com/store

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

This is because your ssl redirect doesn't include the www. in front of the url and you are starting with www. in the url when you start your session.

I think the solution is to add an .htaccess file with this code:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.plus-skateboards.com$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://plus-skateboards.com/$1 [R=301,L]

That way it will never use www. in the url so that when it redirects to the https:// version the cart will remain intact.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Adam

Thanks Ray!

Thank you so much Ray! I have not played with .htaccess files...do i just make a TXT file with that code in it and save as, .htaccess? Then where should it be placed? or should i find the original .htaccess and add the code to it? Sorry, i'm not a newbie but I'm really new to PHP...thanks again!

Ray BorduinWebAssist

If you already have a .htaccess file then you should add this to it. If you don't have one, then a text file with that name is all you need.

Adam

You are the Man.

Thanks again Ray, greatly appreciated. What folder should I be putting the .htaccess file in once complete? I've been looking through the folders on my server and can't seem to find an already existing .htaccess file...

Ray BorduinWebAssist

It would be in the root. It probably doesn't have one yet.

Adam

Works!

Thank you so much Ray, worked like a charm. Saving lives :)

Have a great day man!

Adam

Again...

Hey Ray, so it seems like the error was fixed and the checkout process worked. But now it seems that the same error is happening and I haven't touched anything at all on the site other than adding that .htaccess file the other day. Any idea why this would come up again? Thanks in advance Ray.

UPDATE: so I went back in to try one more time and it worked... i had a customer contact us saying the cart was saying empty when they went to checkout out and then when i tried it, it happened to me too. Not sure what's up. After i messaged you all I did was go into my server, open the .htaccess file, look it over, and close it. Then I checked one more time and the process worked. I don't want to have to check my store everyday to make sure that something weird isn't happening, you have any clue why this happened? Thanks man.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

It looks like I had .com.com in the htaccess rule, but it should have only had one .com. Try using the new code I've updated above.

Adam

Did it

Seems logical, just changed it and re-uploaded it to my server. At first it did the empty cart thing again but I exited and came back and tried again and it worked. Thank you so much Ray, you've been a great help.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...