close ad
WARNING: Do Not Install the DREAMWEAVER CC 2017 or 2018 Update »
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Created Menu in CSS Menu Writer displays too many products(all) in every Category

Thread began 6/29/2015 1:51 pm by Charles | Last modified 7/02/2015 7:56 pm by Ray Borduin | 439 views | 10 replies |

Charles

Created Menu in CSS Menu Writer displays too many products(all) in every Category

Created Menu in CSS Menu Writer and the Product Categories display properly. When you click on a category, you get all the products in the DB not just the products in the selected category and the submenu of products does not flyout. You can see the menu at http://outofchaos.net/gsc/www/menu2.php - eg select Products/Boulders and only 'Artic White' should appear or Products/GardenrockBags and many items should appear except 'Artic White.'
I created the submenu per the tutorial. The menu.php from CSSMenuWriter/cssmw/ is attached. Your help is much appreciated.

Attached Files
menu.php
Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

The code looks right to me. Are you sure the category ID values are set right in the products table in the database?

I'd have to look at the results page to see why it isn't filtering by the category properly.

Charles

The link being rendered looks right for the Category dropdown - key field is 'Category_ID' - /products_results.php?Category_ID=[Category_ID] and I rechecked the product setup and it is correctly labeled as 'ID" - /products_detail.php?ID=[ID] So I've attached the products_results.php as you mentioned to have a look. Thank you!

Attached Files
products_results.php

Ray BorduinWebAssist

It looks like you are storing the Cateogry text and not the ID to identify categories in the products table. That would explain both issues.

That would mean line 56 of your menu.php should probably be:

$_POST["menuwriter_products_Category_ID"] = $row_menuwriter_category["Category"];

and the link on line 53 should be:

Category=<?php echo $row_menuwriter_category["Category"]; ?>&Search=1

Charles

Mucked around for a few hours and made the changes you suggested above. Still got unfiltered - all results for all products when I click a dropdown product category at http://outofchaos.net/gsc/www/menu2.php The Category_ID field is in both the Category and Products tables of the DB and the generated URL looks right, eg http://outofchaos.net/gsc/www/products_results.php?Category_ID=6 but should show only the one product="Artic White' but shows all. Could there be some reference to Category_ID in products_results.php that I am missing? Any other suggestions? Thanks again for your help.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Your results page was filtering based on a Category column, not Category_ID. That is why I was directing you to use that column instead.

If your products table does have a Category_ID column, then you would have to update the results page to allow filtering based on that column as well by editing the Database Search server behavior.

You also have to include &Search=1 at the end of the URL to make sure it initiates a search. Please post a current copy of the pages with the updates I recommended so I can see what might still be wrong.

Charles

I regenerated the products_results.php(attached) adding the Catalog_ID as a filter. I attached a scrrengrab of that DA products filter screen - did I do it right? Now:
1> No products appear on that page
2> Wasn't sure what I needed to do re your comment, 'editing the Database Search server behavior.'
3> Not sure where in the code on which page I should add '&Search=1'
4> The DA generated pages are now being generated and appearing in the /CSSMenuWriter/cssmw/ subdirectory instead of the /www root directory. Redid it twice and not sure why but now all the internal references on the generated pages are to /CSSMenuWriter/cssmw/
Your help appreciated as always.
Note: your Forum file/attachment uploader has been freezing on me the last couple of days. But if I post my message and then 'Update,' I'm able to attach a file.

Attached Files
products_results.php

Charles

Forum attach uploader would only let me do one attachment to my above post - so here is the other . . . .

Ray BorduinWebAssist

The results page looks like it would work right now. You added the category_ID search to the recordset instead of the Database Search server behavior, and that should be fine as long as you always have it. Are you sure the data in the database is correct? If you manually add the Category_ID to the url, it should filter with it, and if it is blank I'd guess that Category_ID isn't saved in the database correctly.

Charles

Have to go out for a few hours, but I'm going to try again. Any idea why the DA generated pages(and consequently the internal references) are dumping into /CSSMenuWriter/cssmw/ instead of my /www root directory?

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...