close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

how do you add to base price with added product option?

Thread began 8/08/2009 10:09 am by ruffteam | Last modified 8/20/2009 1:51 pm by mick106153 | 2379 views | 6 replies |

ruffteam

how do you add to base price with added product option?

on my store at store I am trying to add product options. If you add a options to a leash, such as length, this will affect the base price. where do you add the $increment with the option.

thank you
david

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

When you add product options, each option is a unique item in the catalog. You can set a price for each option on the Product update page.

When you are on the products update page, select the product option from the Dropdown list to manage the Product details such as price for that product with the selected option.

ruffteam

re: close

thank you.
david

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you're welcome.

mick106153

Jason, a question

If I were to replace the word "price" with "SKU" in the following quote, would it still be true?
And if it is would all of the variants of shirt X be displayed in the same Product and Product Detail display?
Please say yes. Please Please!

Mick

Originally Said By: Jason Byrnes
  When you add product options, each option is a unique item in the catalog. You can set a price for each option on the Product update page.

When you are on the products update page, select the product option from the Dropdown list to manage the Product details such as price for that product with the selected option.  

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

each option is a unique record in the database. all of the attributes for each option can be customized.

as far as the user is concerned, it appears to be the same item, they are just making a selection form a drop down box. But the option can have it's own price, own inventory count etc.

mick106153

That's what I thought and after I made several entries employing that principle – changing SKU along with size and/or color – it seems to have worked.
Now what would be really trick would be to treat the SKU field as we do the options we create so we could enter all the variables for shirt x including the different SKU's and than select them from the "manage options" window. The only caveat would be that the SKU should not display to the customer. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to allow the choice of not displaying any option.
That would be a lot less work than what I'm now doing – enter all the options than the data about a product and "save" than "update" and change the SKU and choose the predefined size and/or color and "save" again, than do it all over again for the next iteration of the same product. So 5 sizes available in 2 colors each available with one of 2 different color designs means, if my math is correct, 40 trips through the process I've just described.
If SKU were an "option" a whole lotta steps could be saved.
The way I'm doing it now all iterations of the same product show up as a single item with size and color variables and thus enables tracking inventory by SKU.
Alternatively, you could use one overarching SKU and create a "part#" option or somesuch but that again would have to be not displayed to the customer.

If I'm right about all that I've said than I don't think I'm the only one who was unaware of the full potential available and this ought to be made more clear to everyone.

Mick

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...