close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

sending encrypted password instead of random generated password

Thread began 7/20/2009 5:00 am by jenkolaka19379118 | Last modified 8/14/2009 10:52 am by Ray Borduin | 2436 views | 4 replies |

jenkolaka19379118

sending encrypted password instead of random generated password

I have just completed the security assist wizard and the solution recepie tutorials and Security Assist does not seem to be working. I have come accross the ff errors.

1. When I fill in the registration form it always seems to fail and take me to the forgot password page.

2. On my users_EmailPW.php page, I followed the solution recepie tutorial exactly but ended up with the following server behaviors

ecart set session value (NewPW)
! update record (users) - red exclamation mark appeared.
Security Assist Email Password
Security Assist Email Password
Security Assist Email Password - 3 instances appeared.

So in a nutshell when I test the registration page (fill in details), it takes me to the login page correctly. When I try to log in, (it appears to fail) it takes me to the forgot password page. When I type my email and submit, it sends the encrpted password email instead of the unencrypted password. When I check my database the registered details are there with the encrypted password. However when i try to log in it always sends me to the forgot password page. I cannot figured out what is wrong as I followed the tutorial word for word.

Sign in to reply to this post

jenkolaka19379118

Ok I managed to find out what is triggering the error. It works fine until I implement the solution recipie for encryption. The exact tutorial is "Setting Up Log In (Interactive Tutorial)" this is what appears to cause security assist to jump from login page to forgot password page, even though users are registered.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

You are probably forgetting the step of encrypting the password when it is passed to the login authentication. If the information is incorrect, which it would be if not encrypted properly, then it goes to the forgot password page.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

wpbweb

Why not in tutorial

I have the exact same problem. Could you explain the solution in more detail.

Everything works fine untill I add the encryption.

Thanks

Ray BorduinWebAssist

What is the exact problem?

Most likely you are trying to do something that isn't possible... like send the password in an email.

It isn't possible, because it is encrypted using a one-way encryption.

The solution is to instead send the user a link to a page where they can update their password, since you can't send them their password. That should be included in the tutorial if I'm not mistaken.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...