close ad
Databridge V2 with MySQLi support IS Now Available!
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Trying to get to work a more simple registration

Thread began 7/11/2011 12:04 pm by henrik.schlegel400884 | Last modified 2/11/2012 6:40 am by ptp158834 | 2494 views | 10 replies |

Henrik

Trying to get to work a more simple registration

I 've bought PowerMessenger a few days ago, set it up and I really looking forward
to use it and the functionality it's providing for our mailings.

But with one thing I am not happy. The registering process is much to complicated!
With what I know about marketing you will want to make it as easy as possible for
an user to subscribe to your email list. It's not a good thing to have several steps
involved in this process and it's definitely NOT A GOOD THING to bother him with
having to create a password!

What I think is working best is just a form on your homepage or the page with the
offer with a field where the user can enter his email-address, maybe another field
for the name and a register-button, that's all. To provide the functionality to set
this up is what I would expect from a professional newsletter tool - and this is
what I expected as I bought PowerMessenger!

Now I am trying to accomplish this manually ...

Based on the full-registration page of PowerMessenger I have built a page with our
offer, the form with two formfields and the register button. I deleted all formfields
and the belonging code I don't want to have on the page. It works so far that if
the register-button is pressed all the needed information is propperly inserted in
the database.

What is not working is the forwarding to the "thank you" page. I guess that has to
do with the php code for sending the registration-email and the "accesscheck".
I can't figure out what this "accesscheck" is doing exactly - maybe it isn't working
because I use no password and in the database password field is inserted: NULL (?)
Also the registration-email is not sent.

So, I am stuck here with these issues:

1. How get I the page to forward correctly to the "thankyou" page after register-button is pressed?

2. How get I the registration-email sent?

Any help on this is grateful appreciated!

Files of my "offer" and "thankyou" page are attached.

Thank you!

Attached Files
index.zip
thankyou.zip
Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

In the design section of the power messanger admin, you can elect to use the simple registration form which requires only the mail address, password and password conformation.

Henrik

Yes, but like I described, I don't want to require the user to setup a password!

That's the point!

I used the full registration form as basis of my new page because I want to use
a name and an email field. So I could delete all the fields I don't need instead of
have to add a new one!

Is there a way to achieve my purposes like I described them with changing some
code of the attached files or other methods?

Thank you!

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

If the user does not set a password, how are they going to be able to login in at a later date.

the password is required.

Henrik

Why he should login later ? He is in the email-list, that's enough !

The only thing he may wants to do later is to unsubscribe.

For that I would like to setup a possibility like I posted as reply in the former thread "Unsubscribe".

Jason, I know your PowerMessenger system is based on setting up a password.
I ask you for a moment to consider that it maybe could also work without password.

(Thank you!)

I am already on track here. The data is propperly inserted in the database. The only
things I need to get to work is sending the registration email and the correct forward
to the thankyou page.

I would very much appreciate if you could take the time for checking my attached
pages and helping me to solve this issues.

Thanks a lot!

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

these are not supported modifications to Power messenger.

We do not offer support for modifying the solution packs in this manner.

If you would like assistance with this,I would suggest signing up for a premiere ticket where we would work with you through a screen sharing session to set this up.

Nico

I have to agree that asking for passwords is not a good starting point in order to make someone subscribe to a newsletter.
This solution pack has some great features but I think the subscription form could be just an email and I totally understand henrik.schlegel400884's recommendations.
I am trying to implement the same results without the need for a password and I am facing the same problem. No redirect is being done.

As I told you before PM is a great product but I think that the subscription process is very complicated in the eyes of our clients (owners of the website) and their end users.

To have the option not to use password and all that it supports (login system in order to unsubscribe) would be very useful.

Thank you.

elevy388997Beta Tester

I would have to agree with the others in the thread as I was looking to purchase this for the ease of managing a mailing list and having the templates to use. But there is no reason to ask for a password as all you want to do (as a user) is submit your email address to get news and if you don't want it anymore you click unsubscribe in the next email you get and it takes you off. I still don't understand what the user gets from having this messenger account. Why would they have to log into anything?

Thanks!

a2d

Yes, next update please

email subscribe only no password. Please add me as well to the suggestions list for the PM email only.

simon433077

Another vote for "no password" option

I'm a brand-new WA customer, purchased the Super Suite this week and was considering Power Messenger until I chanced to read this thread about password being required. Really not a Good Thing, I'm sure it keeps quite a few people from subscribing to emails. I'll reconsider if "password" becomes optional, but not before.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...