close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Inadequate tutorials

Thread began 12/15/2010 4:56 am by p.woodall208922 | Last modified 12/16/2010 7:03 am by Jason Byrnes | 1539 views | 3 replies |

p.woodall208922

Inadequate tutorials

Jason it would have been very useful if, in the tutorial, the guide and the UTube video, the fact that validation must be actioned from the page the form is situated upon, had been mentioned. Perhaps this amendment could be made as a matter of urgency to prevent your Clients wasting valuable time.

I have now spent over a week following these guides religously only to note I was clearly wasting my time. Critical facts such as this should NOT be overlooked by WebAssist making the erroneous assumption that the Client will know.

That said for many people, myself included, having the action sent to the page that the form is on is of little use. I have a form which is not actioned on the "form" page at all, but rather via an external form processor and my previous validation method was done from an "onsubmit" action on the page the form lay on.

See contact.php

The form processor, is named formail.php, and is important, as it does many other functions not related to field validation at all. (e.g. redirects to a thank you page upon successful submission, checks that the form submitted is a valid submission)

If one is to use Form Toolkit we therefore require a facility to relate it to an onsubmit action - (i.e. Client side validation), on the submitted page, so that both our own form processor AND your field validation can work independantly of each other.

Regards

Peter Woodall

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you also have this posted in another thread, see my reply there:
showthread.php?p=84053#post84053

p.woodall208922

Hi Jason

I do appreciate that Spry validation has to be done server side but am unsure as to how I can integrate it, into my existing system, i.e. whilst also enjoying the benefits of my form processing programme. Can you detail exactly hoe I can get my formmail.php external form processor to work alongside this Spry validation? The "newForm.php" will not submit until this matter is resolved as it relies upon FormMail.php for submission. (newForm.php)

As far as Captcha is concerned I have got it to appear and refresh but cannot get it to verify. Also the validation "show if" does not work properly. Once I get it to show, the text stays regardless of whether the page has ben refreshed or not.

Also you made no comment on the important omission, in the tutorials and utube video. I note another customer has also made similar comments, albeit in a more generic sense, which surely is something WebAssist need to take on board.

Apologies the url I quoted in my previous post should have read contactus.php.

Regards

Peter

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Spry validation is not done server side, it is done client side. Spry is Adobes AJAX framework. the Spry Validation is done using Javascript in the client browser.

If you wish to implement spry validation in your form, you will simply add a spry validation form element.

Go to Insert -> Spry -> Spry validation Text Field to add a spry form element.

as for the Captcha validation, you need to apply that validation to the forms action page. In my reply to the other thread I gave a description on how to accomplish this:

in form toolkit, there is a form data binding tool added to the bindings panel.

this can be used to import form dynamic bindings from the form page to the forms action page enabling you to add the server validation to the action page if it is a different page from the form itself.

you could open you form processing page, then go to the bindings panel, click the plus button and select Form Data. in the form data window, click the folder icon and select the form page.  

you say:
"Also you made no comment on the important omission, in the tutorials and utube video."

In my reply to the other thread, i tried to direct you to the proper place to address your documentation concerns:

i you feel that something is missing from the documentation or have any documentation suggestions or feedback, please submit these directly to the documentation team through our feedback form:

feedback.php?type=docs  

All documentation feedback should be directed directly to the documentation team.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...