close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Hoping someone can help...

Thread began 11/06/2010 9:08 pm by mglc83417609 | Last modified 3/22/2011 6:55 am by Jason Byrnes | 7349 views | 13 replies |

mglc83417609

Hoping someone can help...

Hi there!
I am ready to pull my hair out trying to install PalettePicker to my dreamweaver cs3. The file extension manager tells me every time that I need dreamweaver 8 or greater, I have 9.
It is driving me nuts! Anyone have any ideas why my extension manger wont recognize my dreamweaver?
It not just that extension either I tried the google package as well just to see.
Thank you very much for any help you can offer.
Mglc

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

This usually happens if a previous version of Dreamweaver is installed along side of Dreamweaver CS3 when you double click the extension to begin the install. It will happen if the older extension manager is the default appication for mxp files.

to get around the problem, start the install manually.

In Dreamweaver CS3, go to Commands -> Manage Extensions to open the extension manager. Once it is open, close Dreamweaver.

Now click the install button and browse to the mxp file to begin the installation.

phill401410

Dreamweaver Extension Manager

I am having a somewhat similar situation with Dreamweaver CS5 and Extension Manager 5.0 on Windows 7. DW will not open Extension Manager from within the program i.e. Commands > Manage Extensions. I can open Extension Manager through the start menu. Then when I double click on a WA extension (cannot access a WA extension through EM, Install Extension in EM is grayed out) EM starts to install but stops and gives the error, "This extension cannot be installed, it requires Dreamweaver version 8 or greater".
Have tried "Run as Administrator" per Adobe Forums on both DW and EM.
I do have a CS4 version of EM installed, do you think DW could be using this version of EM as the "default appication for mxp files"? Should I try uninstalling EM CS4?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the first thing I would try is to delete the Dreamweaver Configuration folder. See the Common installation issues pdf for details on locating the configuration folder:
common_installation_issues.pdf

In the same location you find the DreamweaverCS5 folder, there will be a Extension Manager CS5 folder as well, delete the configuration folder under that path also, this should hopefully correct the issue with the Install button in the extension manager being greyed out.

if you continue to have problems with the extensions manager, you should contact adobe support to get it sorted out.

phill401410

Adobe Extension Manager CS5

Should I take Adobe to heart when it says the requirement for EM CS5 is, " System Requirements - The Extension Manager CS5 requires Mac OS X 10.5-10.6.2 or Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3; Windows Vista Home Premium, Business, Enterprise with Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2; Windows 7 Enterprise, Ultimate with 1GB of RAM, 1,024x768 display with 16-bit video card, and at least one of the following products..."?

em_download/

I am willing to try upgrading to Ultimate (a possible $169 shot-in-the-dark) if I know it will work.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

what part of the extension manager system requirements are you questioning?

really since this is an issue getting the extension manager to work correctly, your best bet will be to contact adobe support.

phill401410

In answer to "What part of EM sys requirements are you questioning?" see #3 above.

And in answer to "really since this is an issue getting the extension manager to work correctly, your best bet will be to contact adobe support," I have been poking around in Adobe forums over the past days (nay months) to see this issue and others end up in a big finger-pointing stand off between developers. I'm not trying to blame either side (if I want to "blame" some groups I need go no farther than my own state government here in Wisconsin where the Republican Assembly just eliminated collective bargaining from unions). It just seems to be a sad state of affairs that Adobe and Web Assist cannot solve basic issues together when both parties reputations and revenue are at stake. Put yourself above being a bunch of politicians and find a path to solve these software problems.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

You dont have any numbers bullet points in your question, so i an still not sure what point "#3 above" relates too.

the crux of the issue that you are having is that the install button is not available in the extension manager, therefor, you cannot use the extension manager to install new extensions.

I have given some advice that believe should correct the issue and make the install option available in the extension manager, but if this advice is not working for you, the people to help you get it working are Adobe.

I'm not trying to shift responsibility simply because I'm being lazy and dont want to help. If i had other advice for the problem, I would gladly offer it up.

My suggestion to contact Adobe support is not just to search their forums, but get on the phone and contact them directly.

phill401410

Extension Manager CS5 on Windows 7

Thank you for your reply. Following is the question I submitted as "#3". The number is in the upper right hand corner of the request field.

"I am having a somewhat similar situation with Dreamweaver CS5 and Extension Manager 5.0 on Windows 7. DW will not open Extension Manager from within the program i.e. Commands > Manage Extensions. I can open Extension Manager through the start menu. Then when I double click on a WA extension (cannot access a WA extension through EM, Install Extension in EM is grayed out) EM starts to install but stops and gives the error, "This extension cannot be installed, it requires Dreamweaver version 8 or greater".
Have tried "Run as Administrator" per Adobe Forums on both DW and EM.
I do have a CS4 version of EM installed, do you think DW could be using this version of EM as the "default appication for mxp files"? Should I try uninstalling EM CS4?"

If I am following correctly I think your suggestion for "the crux of the issue that you are having is that the install button is not available in the extension manager, therefor, you cannot use the extension manager to install new extensions" is "the first thing I would try is to delete the Dreamweaver Configuration folder. See the Common installation issues pdf for details on locating the configuration folder:
technote...ion_issues.pdf In the same location you find the DreamweaverCS5 folder, there will be a Extension Manager CS5 folder as well, delete the configuration folder under that path also, this should hopefully correct the issue with the Install button in the extension manager being greyed out."

I could not delete the DW Configuration folder and am a little reluctant to do so as it looks like it contains far too many important folders and am not sure it would rebuild and I might have to reinstall DW CS5. Not that this would be too hard to do but would not look forward to reinstalling the SiteCache.
C:\Users\PixelDigit\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Dreamweaver CS5\en_US\Configuration\SiteCache

I was able to delete WinFileCache-530B2A19.dat as well as the DW Extension Manager CS5 Configuration folder - both to no avail.

I do not think you are lazy, you reply promtply and at least try to provide solutions. I am trying to find a better way to get Adobe's attention and I will take your suggestions to heart.

By the time this issue is resolved Adobe will be forcing us to upgrade to another version (I understand CS6 is in the works) and perhaps this issue will be resolved but I fear there will always be a new issue.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I'm sorry, but referring me back to your post in message three of this thread does not help me understand what part of the system requirements you are questioning.

can you please highlight the specific system requirement you are questioning and provide details on why?

What was the problem you had on deleting the Dreamweaver configuration folder in the users directory?

Instead of deleting this folder, try renaming it.

If the folder does not exist Dreamweaver will regenerate it when it starts up.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...