close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Newbie help needed

Thread began 7/13/2010 1:06 pm by FPeter297870 | Last modified 7/15/2010 7:56 am by Jason Byrnes | 2490 views | 10 replies |

FPeter297870

Newbie help needed

Okay folks

A bit of a diiference from the usual posts, I am a total newbie using Data Assist and need some help getting started so it shouldn't be hard for anyone on here to answer my questions.

I'm used to working with Dreamweaver, a little Flash and some scripts but have absolutely no idea when it comes to this.

I need a good tutorial which starts right from the start basically, as to what to have on my PC to be able to use Data Assist, create a database with a table and how they all link together to make a database driven website.

Right now I have Dreamweaver CS4, I have a website that I would like to add a property search to which gets results from a database, probably easy for everyone on here, but we all had to start somewhere.

Anyone want to point me to a tutorial that a 5 year old could understand.

Peter

Sign in to reply to this post

elewis93815

With a little more information it would be easier to pin point where you're having problems. As for a tutorial, we've found that the Web Assist pdf's are helpful, some are out datated, however they will get you close to setting up all of your files, databases etc.

I hope that helps

Jimmy Wu

Well, the first thing you want to do is to take a look at the support page:
dataassist/

Follow through some of the tutorials and if you have more specific questions, it will be easier for us to provide you with the help you need.

FPeter297870

Hi Jimmy Wu & elewis93815

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Some of the tutorials in Web Assist pdf's are outdated, this may be alright for some who have a bit of knowledge about these things but for a newbie its just a massive road block.
One has MySql Query database or something similar but I don't see this on the MySql site.

I will try to provide a bit more information on my problem.

I have been asked to create a website for a small property company, I have a page design that I want to use, I need to have a property search on the page which would include something like minimum number of bedrooms, maximum number of bedrooms, minimum price range, maximum price range, property type & postcode etc.

When the results are returned the results page returns the correct properties with photos, description, price and a link to a dedicated page for a lager or more photos, longer description etc.

I also want the database to be updated by the company themselves, if possible.

I would also like to be able to check the site works on my own PC before uploading to the clients server.

I have Dreamweaver CS4, XAMPP installed and just downloaded mysql workbench, on XAMPP I have Apache & MySql running.

When I open my page with Dreamweaver and start Data Assist Wizard I see Step 1-10.

Database

Server Model is PHP
Connection - Property
Table - greyed out
Key Column - greyed out

Template

Name - Template
Editable Region - EditRegion2 - I don't see an EditRegion2 on the page

Pages

All greyed out

This is af far as I have got, propably need to create a table but how do you do that?

Hope this sheds some more light on this and you are able to point me in the right direction.

Peter

Jaffa

First in your xaamp control panel click mysql admin, this is where you need to setup your database and tables prior to going into data assist wizard.

Once you have your database , tables and user permissions setup then move into dreamweaver and proceed to connect to them via the database panel.

Once dreamweaver has a connection to your database you can then start data assist and go through the wizards. Problem is it's hard to explain everything here in a post. Maybe you need to read a little regarding mysql and myadmin.

FPeter

Hi jaffa
Thanks for the reply and pointers, when I open phpMyAdmin panel it asks me for a username and password, I have tried every username and password I can think of but it won't accept any of them.

I even tried root and no password.

Any ideas?
Peter

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

if you cannot remember your phpmyAdmin login details, go to your xampp installation location and look for the following file:

\xampp\phpMyAdmin\config.inc.php

in this file look for the following lines:
/* User for advanced features */
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['controluser']
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['controlpass']

the controluser is the user name. the controlpass is the password.

FPeter

Just got phpMyAdmin opened and logged in, just need to find out how to use it now.

I thought this was going to be a lot easier that its been so far.

Got the fields in but how do you add details to it?

Do these fields sound right

ID - int(10)
Type - text - latin2_general_ci - auto_increment - "for type of property"
Beds - int(10) - "for number of bedrooms"
Price - int(10) - "for price or property, Ideally would like a price range option"
Address - varchar(100) - latin2_general_ci
Postcode - varchar(15) - latin2_general_ci
City - varchar(45) - latin2_general_ci
Extras - varchar(45) - latin2_general_ci - "thought this would do things like gas central heating and double glazing etc"

If this is fine would my next step be entering info for a property, if so how, if not what have I done wrong?

Again any help greatly appreciated
Peter

Jimmy Wu

Yes, that is sufficient to get started and familiar with the product. If you run through the DataAssist wizard, you will set up insert, edit and delete functionality that you can use to insert data into the database. Then you would want to set up the DataAssist search functionality to perform the search behavior. This is where the support documentation comes in handy. Try following the steps required to set up the wizard and search that the documentation goes through and ask if you have any questions on those steps.

FPeter

Hi all

Thanks for the tips folks, managed to stumble my way through some of the tutorials and will attempt the rest, no doubt I will be back again for some more help.

Sometimes a little help goes a long long way.

Thanks
Peter

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...