close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Gap between menu/submenus (padding/margins don't get rid of it)

Thread began 6/26/2010 2:59 am by cldsk369146 | Last modified 6/26/2010 7:23 pm by neilo | 1236 views | 6 replies |

cldsk369146

Gap between menu/submenus (padding/margins don't get rid of it)

Hello, thanks for all the help with the forums, I am getting the hang of the Menu Writer, I am stuck on one more thing though. I have created my menu, have the links correct, but there is a big gap between my menu and the submenus that appeared after I played with the menu width. I tried messing with the padding and margins, but those don't seem to do anything for the gap. How can I get rid of the gap?
Thanks so much for your help!

www.olgteens.org shows the menu with the gap (sub menu located under "Programs")

I also uploaded my Menu Writer file, the template I created, and the index file.

On a side note: it seems I can only have this menu be a maximum of 150 pixels. I was hoping for 167, but anything beyond 150 just gives me an underscore line and a gap, instead of the background blue box.

Attached Files
index.zip
Sign in to reply to this post

neilo

Hiya cldsk,

To lose the gaps and resize to 167

Firstly the images, 'CSSMenuWriter/cssmw_images/bg.jpg' and 'CSSMenuWriter/cssmw_images/grad.jpg' need to be resized to 167px width. (If you have difficulties, replace with the attached).

Secondly, set the widths for Levels 0, 1, & 2:

In your stylesheet, CSSMenuWriter/cssmw/menu.css, or CSSMenuWriter/cssmw4/menu.css (depending on which one you will be using - or both to be sure):

Level-0: (ul#cssmw > li > a, ul#cssmw > li > a:link {) at about line 60:

width:162px;

(162px + 5px padding-left =167px)

Level-1: (ul#cssmw ul.level-1 > li > a, ul#cssmw ul.level-1 > li > a:link {) at about line 96:

width:151px;

(151px + 10px padding-right + 6px padding-left=167px)

Level-2: (ul#cssmw ul.level-2 > li > a, ul#cssmw ul.level-2 > li > a:link {) at about line 146:

width:151px;

(151px + 10px padding-right + 6px padding-left=167px)

Finally, set the 'left' positions for level-1 & level-2:

At about lines 89-92:

ul#cssmw ul.level-1 {
left:167px;
margin:0;
}

At about lines 139-142:

ul#cssmw ul.level-2 {
left:167px;
margin:0;
}

cldsk369146

Many thanks, will try--are there settings in Menu Writer Wizard?

Many thanks, I will try this when I get home. I am still new to coding, are there options in the menu writer wizard that also takes care of this? This is part of the reason that I bought the extension was for the lack of my coding--but I am learning so this is good experience!
Thanks for the advice, I look forward to trying it out!

neilo

Hi cldsk,

There is a huge number of possible combinations of menus in MenuBuilder, so I obviously haven't tried them all out, but of all those that I have tried, I have found them all to be properly customisable.

If you were to let me know the menu presets that you selected when you created the menu, I could recreate a similar one and have a look from this end to see what you would need to edit to make the adjustments you need from inside the MenuWriter interface.

cldsk369146

Thank you--almost there!

Thank you so much for your help. I did the coding (which was actually quite simple with your easy to follow instructions) and the gap and the width seems to be taken care of, but the background image isn't showing the whole 167 pixels. I do have it uploaded to www.olgteens.org and I can tell that the gap is gone, but you could see where a gap is from the background image (I used the ones you gave me and uploaded them to to the server). Any idea why this part isn't working? Other than that, the menu is finally working as I would like it to. Thanks for taking the time to help me out!

cldsk369146

Got it all working now--thank you so much!

Just realized the images uploaded weren't set to 167 so I did that in photoshop and it all works now. Thank you so much again for all your help! The menu looks great and was exactly what I was looking for!

neilo

Cheers cldsk,

I don't know why the images didn't upload as 167px, but you sorted it out nicely.

Great looking menu and page, nice one!

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...