close ad
Install the LAtest Updates to Work with CC 2017 and CC 2018
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

For what it's worth dept.

Thread began 5/07/2010 11:21 am by Peter | Last modified 5/07/2010 11:51 am by Peter | 679 views | 2 replies |

Peter

For what it's worth dept.

I have a couple items for the the WA suggestion box. First, before the re-design of the web site (which looks very nice) I used to be able to see all of my extensions along with their serial numbers on one page. I can't seem to be able to do that anymore. I have to go into the page for each extension. If I can still do that somewhere, I'd like to hear how. If I can't I suggest WA make that option available again. Secondly, I want to say that WA has done a tremendous job trying to improve the support documentation for each of the products. There still in my mind as a real newcomer to much of the technology a fundamental problem with the instructions--even solution recipes--not tailored to the most basic user. That is, stepping someone through a procedure at the most basic level. I know, because I'm at that level and as I go through much of the help documents, there frequently are steps that are too short and assume someone knows how to implement that step. As only one example, I'm looking at the Security Assist getting started file. Step 1 is pretty straightforward, no problem there. I get to step 2 and it says choose the database connection you intend to use. Well, how do I do that?? I have the solution recipe files, but the starter ones anyway don't have a database connection made in the server behavior panel yet. So I don't know how to implement this step. What step 2 should do is say for people like me something like, OK now we're going to set up a database connection using the BSM starter files and here are the steps to do this. My point is, you must tailor your products including continued improvement of the tutorial files to the lowest common denominator like me because we are your clients too. I would gladly volunteer to review your tutorial documents, new or upgrading, free of charge and provide you feedback if it meant I and many others like me got the support docs we need to successfully use your products right out of the box with the least amount of hand-wringing and wheel-spinning. I think WA products have a lot of untapped potential for me and I own many, but I frequently spend too much time trying to step through the instructions. That is very frustrating and unnecessary with the proper tutorials. I'm sure hearing this after the great improvements you have made is also frustrating. I'm trying to help you and me by sharing this and point out the need to keep working on this. It's getting there, but not there yet for many of your products. Whatever it takes, please keep striving to improve in this area. Thanks for listening.

Sign in to reply to this post

Neil Beadle

Thanks for your feedback. It is appreciated and we are working towards filling in some of these holes.

We have a number of resources for beginners to learn how to use databases so that they can succeed with our products. These are all available on the Support Home Page of our website support/.

Free eCommerce MySQL Database
ecommerce-database

Database Starter Kit for PHP
database-for-php

Managing your live database settings
change_db_pass.htm

Create a database connection in Dreamweaver
creating_db_connection.php

Importing a database (.SQL) file (PDF)
importing_sql.pdf

Peter

I know you are and I am familiar with many of these already and have been helpful. I still think though to some extent the documentation for individual extensions should be consistent in how the form in which they provide tutorials (e.g. step-by-step hands-on exercises using real-world examples) AND the documents be as standalone as possible with the needed details at each step provided to successfully do that step. I think I'm running on and you probably get what I'm saying. Do consider if you aren't doing already, including in your quality control preparing these guides draft reviews by a range of user abilities. Take it for what it's worth, I am still struggling with tutorials on a regular basis, recognizing some are more tailored for my kind than others. Thanks again for listening... and responding so quickly. That was appreciated.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...