close ad
Install the LAtest Updates to Work with CC 2017 and CC 2018
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Edit contents not showing in property inspector

Thread began 3/24/2010 7:53 pm by dianadolce243401 | Last modified 4/19/2010 8:00 pm by Eric Mittman | 1005 views | 9 replies |

dianadolce243401

Edit contents not showing in property inspector

Hi,

This has been posted before, but the suggestions didn't work for me. I am trying to edit the contents in a .dwt file. All my invisible elements are checked, and scripts too. Even did a reboot as suggested. Any other ideas for me?

Do you have to edit contents within the menu writer interface or can I just make edits within the dwt file by hand?

Thanks for looking into this,

Diana

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

What versions of Menu Writer and DW are you using and what is your OS? Also what is the page type of your template file? You should always be able to edit an existing menu that you put on a page from the property inspector.

If the menu is static you can make edits to it directly on the page but any time that you edit the menu outside of the interface you can loose the ability to edit within the interface or have your changes reverted if you edit within the interface afterwards.

Can you post a copy of the template file in question and include a copy of your CSSMW folder in a zip archive? We can take a look at it for you.

dianadolce243401

Hi Eric,

I am using CSSMenu writer 2, Dreamweaver CS4 and Vista 64-bit OS. Attached is the zip of the CSSMenu folder and the amegaGlobal.dwt template file that I am using.

Thank you looking at this for me.

Diana

Attached Files
CSSMenu.zip
amegaGlobal.zip

Eric Mittman

When I test this out I can get the option to edit the menu, but not for editing the contents or the theme. It seems that there have been edits made to the code on the template page and the menu's contents are no longer editable on the page.

You could just choose to edit the menu, then make your updates to the preset and apply the newly updated menu to the page. Do you have the option to edit just the menu from the Property Inspector? It should be available to you if you have the invisible scripts enabled from the preferences and in the visual aids. You will need to select the shield icon for the menu, when I view your page I can see that the icon is partially hidden behind the tab for the main content. You can also select the js code on the page to get the edit option. Here is the code on the page you would need to select:

<script type="text/javascript">if(window.attachEvent) { window.attachEvent("onload", function() { cssmw.intializeMenu('cssmw',{select_current: 0, orientation: 1}); }); } else if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener("load", function() { cssmw.intializeMenu('cssmw',{select_current: 0, orientation: 1}); }, true); }</script>

It is on line 194 in the page you sent me.

dianadolce243401

hank you Eric,

Yes I do have the edit menu option in the property inspector, but in the past when I used it, it made a whole new folder so I must of did something wrong. Will try again and hopefully I can get it right. I will post back to let you know how it turned out.

Diana

Eric Mittman

Ok, let us know how it works out. When you edit the menu from the property inspector keep in mind that you are only editing the preset and not the instance of the menu that is on the page.

dianadolce243401

Hi Eric............sorry for the delay in what has transpired. I was able to edit the menu, took a few tries but right now the menu is correct on the whole site from the dwt file. Question, can I now make static content edits in the dwt file for the menu and have all pages changed dynamically? Or should I still use the edit menu in the property inspector on the dwt file for content names and or adding new pages?

view the site at: index.html

Thank you Eric,

Diana

Eric Mittman

If you have a static html menu in the template file you should be able to alter the menu there and have it update on all of the pages. However since the pages in the menu are also tracked with the treexml.xml file this will not match if you make edits directly to the code. It is best to make the edits to the contents with the Menu Writer interface.

dianadolce243401

Ok, that will be easier for the IT person that I have to hand this over too in the coming weeks. I will let her know that she needs to buy the Webassist CSS Menu extension for her dreamweaver.

Thanks for all your help with this.............

Dian

Eric Mittman

Your welcome, let us know if you have any other questions or if you run into any problems.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...