close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

White label / Rebrand PowerGallery

Thread began 3/02/2010 5:52 am by PimpMyHoodie | Last modified 3/05/2010 3:46 pm by Ray Borduin | 2372 views | 8 replies |

PimpMyHoodie

White label / Rebrand PowerGallery

Please help this is driving me mad!...

I know enough about dreamweaver but am not a total expert, I have followed certain tutorials that I have found but things keep going wrong!!..

Basically, within the "admin" section I'm trying to completely clear out all of the Webassist:

1. PowerGallery™ references
2. PowerGallery & Webasisst logos
3. Page footers with html links to webassist
4. links to webassist (such as the Feedback links)

And anything else that will give the game away to a client that this is simply a pre-built php solution and not built from scratch!..

I've tried updating the templates and then applying the templates to all of the pages, it seems to work but then it simply stops all of the: "Manage Images" & "Add Images" functionality from working!!..

p.s.

I can remove / replace the .png images in fireworks, that's easy enough to do, but my real problem is changing all of the items on the .php pages (as mentioned above!) without messing everything up!!..

please help, asap..

If someone could provide me with a clear and simple set of instruction of how to do this in Dreamweaver CS4 I would be eternally grateful!!..

(this is the last thing I need to do to the site, and the client is expecting a site from me (not webassist!.. lol) by tomorrow!..

thankyou, and sorry for being a (dare I say it!) Noooooooob!.. ;-)

p.s.

If someone from webassist sees this:

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I though these solutions were supposed to be " White Label "? It just seems to me that you've taken every opportunity to add links and references back to webassist.. Fair enough if it's a labeled product, but not if I'm trying to pass pre-built applications off as part of my own work!

(that's face it that's why developers use your products isn't it??!!)

I don't mean this to be aggressive, just making a point.. If I (or any other developer) misses on small link (such a the "Feedback" > "Webassist" link in powergallery admin, or all of the PowerGallery™ references in the help pages!) it could mean a whole world of trouble if a client finds out you've charged them "X" amount of $ for a pre-built php solution that only cost you $100 or so...

thankyou again, and I hope you find this constructive, and perhaps can provide an answer!.. ;-)

Sign in to reply to this post

Office Guy-172461

I don't mean this to be aggressive, just making a point.. If I (or any other developer) misses on small link (such a the "Feedback" > "Webassist" link in powergallery admin, or all of the PowerGallery™ references in the help pages!) it could mean a whole world of trouble if a client finds out you've charged them "X" amount of $ for a pre-built php solution that only cost you $100 or so...  

Good points. Fits in well with this discussion:

showthread.php?t=10658

It makes it appear that WA is moving away from the developer market. Why else would there be so many attempts to point people back to WA? At the very least there should be a warning that it's not intended for reselling. It makes sense in Open Source solutions but usually you can pay a small fee to remove the links back to the developer. This is a paid solution and they're embedded into the product. Why should we have to spend our time hunting them down?

PimpMyHoodie

very interesting...

Hi Office guy, thanks for the link, it's makes very interesting reading, and I think I'm going to post there myself!.. but in the mean time, do you think you could help me out with the problem of rebranding as listed above?. (I'm getting a bit stressed now!.. :-S )

Office Guy-172461

Not sure I can. Using this method:

Find all instances of a variable in a site
185/

I came up with:

340 items for powergallery
195 items for webassist

Some of those might be from other extensions but it's not a straightforward task.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

The links were added in an attempt to improve our search engine rankings, not as an attempt to advertise to your clients. This was a side effect that people have now pointed out is worrisome and we will look into.

I'd bet that most of those are repeats because the page is based on a template. I think if you were to scrub three pages of links it would probably do the trick:

The Templates Main.dwt.php and Admin.dwt.php, and the index.php page.

Those are really the only three page layouts used throughout the site. Links that appear on the template pages are propogated to each page, so will appear many times on the site even though they only have to be removed once and then you can update the pages that are created from the templates to remove all occurrances.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

PimpMyHoodie

simpler...

Hi, thanks for the reply..

I too have done a similar search by opening one of the powergallery admin php pages (in my case addimages.php) using dreamweaver's "find and replace" function..

Accept, all I did was:

find in: "Current Document"

Search: "text"

Find: "PowerGallery"

and found just 2x instances....

In this instance I'm not bothered about the code and/or anything else that is hidden from the layman (joe public admin)...

To give an example the site I'm currently working on is for a female yoga instructor, who doesn't know the first thing about websites and code (why would she?), so all I need to do is remove anything that is visible to the "naked eye" of just a basic "Admin" user...

Like the thread you linked me to above suggests if the Admin user sees "POWERGALLERY™ ADMIN" it's not going to be hard to Google PowerGallery, find out what it is, how much it costs, and feel ripped off... (If I saw "POWERGALLERY™ ADMIN" in my new website googling it would be the first thing I would do!)

But, my average admin user is not going to be looking at code and other "hidden" parts of the site pages.

So, back to the point..

When I click "Find & Replace" in dreamweaver I get this message:

"The following replacements would have changed a locked region of a file that uses a template"

Now I know this is a really dumb question, but I'm self taught and am still trying to figure it all out, all I actually want to do is, unlock the locked regions in the template and update them all so that I can replace the basic visible text...

i.e.

I want to replace "POWERGALLERY™ ADMIN" with "MY YOGA SITE ADMIN" but can't do it because it's locked by the template, and I can't update the template without messing up the functionality of the .php page (as described in my first post)..

I'm pretty sure the answer is simple, and I'm going to feel silly when I know how.. but at the moment, I don't know how!.. lol!..

please help!..

(anyone!)

Thankyou!.. ;-)

PimpMyHoodie

Update pages..

Hi Ray,

Thankyou for your reply...

I already have updated the following files:

"The Templates Main.dwt.php and Admin.dwt.php, and the index.php page. "

And uploaded them to the server....

but it doesn't seem to propagate all of the pages,

All I'm doing is opening, editing, and then saving...

Is it because I'm not updating all of the pages created from the templates?..

(I don't getting a message asking me if I'd like to "update all of the pages created from this template", and I'm guessing I should right?)

Can you tell me how to do this correctly?..

Thanks.

Roland Rogers

I was able to do a full stripping of the WebAssist code to brand it as a custom gallery by adjusting the templates. I don't have time right now to document everything I did but just wanted to do a quick reply to assure folks that it can be done pretty easily!

I further pimped the gallery for a client to allow for multiple galleries to appear on one page and the visitor can select which gallery to view.

gallery.php

It was a bit of work but the client loves it - and the admin is custom branded with no link back to WebAssist.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Most likely the problem is that you don't have your dreamweaver site set up with the Templates folder in the root.

Dreamweaver will only scan and update all of the files if the Templates folder is in the root.

Just set up a new DW site and declare the root as the directory where the Templates folder exists. Then when you update the template in DW it will ask you if you want to update all of the pages.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...