U got it right on....again!
I did a cheap trick and it worked. First I deleted the menu from the index.php file. Then I recreated it using CSS Menu Writer. This created another subdirectory called cssmw (as opposed to cssmw_content and _home created by SA Pro). The menu wasn't working but it did give me a .js file. I took the .js file from cssmw and overwrote the .js file in cssmw_home using your thoughts as my hint. Problem fixed.
I have no idea how I muxed up the java code. I only edited the php files, but I've learned to stay with the apps and out of the files they created. *Not a new lesson for me, BTW* and a lesson I keep learning repeatedly. Wow! two days troubleshooting and 2 minutes fixing.