close ad
Databridge V2 with MySQLi support IS Now Available!
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

Webassist competing with it's customers?

Thread began 2/26/2010 1:52 pm by info401979 | Last modified 3/19/2010 11:26 am by info401979 | 3595 views | 31 replies

Office Guy-172461

I think we're starting to drift from the original scenario:

1. Client gives you a project.
  2. You do project and bill $2000
  3. Client decides to research tools used to accomplish the project
  4. Client finds tools at WA - not a problem
  5. Client also finds that a ready made solution is available for $1800 less

Sure you can make money reselling a $200 solution. That's not the issue. We're talking about a professional developer with years of experience put in the position of justifying their price after the fact, when the client has the perception that all they did was put a new face on a $200 solution.

I wouldn't find that easy or justifiable, and I would certainly worry that it could easily turn round and bite me at some point in the future.  

You have to know the requirements of the project before you can judge this. Would you find $2,000 too much to pay for Amazon.com?

Years ago I wrote a pricing program that took 6 months to complete and was valued by the business's insurance company at $1.5 million. Would it be hard to justify charging $2,000 for that? This is exactly the problem we're up against. You have it in your mind that $2,000 is an unreasonable price to pay for a custom cart, because you know about the one for $200. There is no thought given to what it might take to implement a different type of solution. What if it had to connect to an EDI system, or a main frame, or an existing accounting system? What about unique security requirements? How about processing over a million transactions an hour? Would any of those requirements affect your fee?

I have no problem justifying my fees during the exploratory proposal phase, and have often sent people to canned solutions they could implement themselves, when the numbers weren't right. I'm also a big fan of Open Source. But if someone comes to me in the beginning with the wrong solution in mind, I usually point out the downside and send them down the road. We also have a responsibility not to get involved with solutions we know are destined to fail.

But I do not like to be put in a position of clients questioning my fees when the project is finished, because they become convinced I used an unreasonable markup. No one wins in that scenario.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...