1) No, CSS Menu Writer does not have the capability off crating a horizontal menu with horizontal sub menus.
2) The menu writer interface will apply the same width to all of the menu items. Inline styles can be applied to each menu item after the menu has been created to fine tune the widths of each item, but this must be done manually.
3) Yes, the nav bar can be created with out borders.
4) This sort of control must be accomplished using inline styles on each menu item after the menu is created similar to widths in question 2.
5) You do not control the nav bar positioning in menu writer. The menu should added to a navigation div on your page. The menu position is controlled by positioning the navigation div element.
6) The sub menus in a horizontal menu will drop down. In a vertical menu, they will fly out.