close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

CMS Problems Creating New Pages

Thread began 4/05/2011 6:47 am by Steve E | Last modified 4/20/2011 12:52 pm by Steve E | 4496 views | 11 replies |

Steve E

CMS Problems Creating New Pages

I have created a site using Site Sculptor, I have several main categories which have sub menu items, each of the main categories were defined as Template pages when defining the site to give me the ability to create new pages from them.

The Problem is when I create a new page from the Main Category page, it creates it but it does not really create it, If I preview the page it has the same url as the page I have created it from? then if I update the content within this newly created page it updates and then when I check the content on the page from which I created it, it has also changed, this is because it is the same page at the same URL?, the newly created page does not appear in the site directory it appears the only place it is in the admin panel, kind of weird.
Also it does not build this into the menu, I read a post on this which was posted in 2004 and got answered in 2008! with the response that it does not add the page to the menu and that you must update the menu.php file manually!

Anybody that has overcome a similar problem please can you get in touch, all comments are invited.
Thanks
Steve

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

The pages based on CMS Templates, are virtual pages.

any new page created from the template becomes the default page that will be loaded.

at the top of the page, right under the "Choose the content area you wish to edit below" is a "View This page" link

Click that link, and you will see in the address bar that there is a querystring variable:
template.php?Template=3

in my example, i created the template region as template, yours will be different.

This querystring variable is used to determine which virtual page is loaded.

to make the menu automatically populate with new pages template pages, you will need to edit the css menu writer menu contents.

In the main template, select the menu, then in the property inspector click the edit menu contents option.

Select the top level for your cms template page, then click the plus button and select Add New Dynamic Link.

set the table as pcms2_contents
set the label to ContentGroup
Set Key Column to ContentID
for the link, select the pcms template page, then add the question mark, querystring variable name and equal sig, click the plus button next to Add to link and select the ContentPageSetOrder column, as an example, my finished link would look like:

/template.php?Template=[ContentPageSetOrder]

Now open the CSSMenuWriter/cssmw_content/menu.php file, in the server behaiors section, double click the menuwriter_pcms2contents recordset, and change it to:

SELECT C2.ContentGroup, C2.ContentPageSetOrder
FROM pcms2_contents AS C1 LEFT OUTER JOIN pcms2_contents AS C2
ON C2.ContentPagesetParentID = C1.ContentID
WHERE C2.ContentPageSetOrder IS NOT NULL
GROUP BY C2.ContentPageSetOrder
ORDER BY C2.ContentPageSetOrder DESC

do the same thing on the index.php page to modify the home page navigation and edit the recordset in the CSSMenuWriter/cssmw_home/menu.php file

Steve E

Hi Jason
Thank you for your very comprehensive guide, I am going away for a long weekend,
I will try this out on Monday and let you know how I get on.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

have a good trip.

Steve E

Hi Jason

I have had a look at this, There is defiantly a problem as my newly created page has exactly the same uri as the template page I built it from, no query string variable at the end. so I can not try your solution.

My troubleshooting so far

From the Help Section

Creating new pages

You have the ability to create new pages that are based on a template. This feature is only available if the page was selected to be used as a content management template when the website was created.

THIS BIT IS OK
1.From the Content column, hover your mouse over the template.
THIS BIT IS OK
2.Click the green + icon that displays next to the template.
THIS BIT IS OK
3.Enter name for this new page..
THIS BIT IS OK
4.Edit the content of the new page like you would any other content location.
THIS OPTION DOES NOT EXIST FOR ME
5.Once you have updated the content, click the Create Link option to see how you can create a link to this new page.

My Navigation does not appear in the CMS as an editable region like my other editiable regions, I have a feeling that is why I am not getting step 5 and am unable to create a link to the new page?

I tried editing the menu from dreamweaver as you said however, the Dynamic Menu writer has 3 options for CONNECTION, none, My Site Name and a PowerCMSconnection, in the field below it says TABLE and shows **No Table Shown this does not change regardless of whatever option I select in the Option above.

So I am seriously confused and need some help, I know you guys know your stuff and would really appreciate some assistance with this.

Thanks
Steve

Steve E

Hi Jason
I got some help from your Support guy who called about another ticket, He managed to get the page to show up in the menu, using a different technique than you described, by editing the menu directly from Dreamweaver's sever behaviours panel, then we had to create a page from the templated menu page and then link that page to the cms.
The menu displayed the newly created page link and everything seemed ok, so I thanked him and he hung up.
When I tried updating the content on the page, it still updates the page it was based upon? If I try to edit the content from the parent page, it has no effect when I view the page?

Having done some more searching through these forums, would I be correct in thinking that Site Sculptor is really just a good tool for building the initial website but if you have a large website with frequently changing data you are better using the Power CMS extension?

With my purchase of Super Suite I also have PowerCMS Builder 1.0.0 should I be using this after Site Sculptor to give me the functionality I am looking for?
Is Power CMS2 different to the version included in Super Suite?

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I have created a support ticket so we can look into this issue further.

To view and edit your support ticket, please log into your support history:
supporthistory.php

If anyone else is experiencing this same issue, please append to this thread.

Steve E

Hi Jason
I spoke to Ray yesterday and he managed to sort it out, I had no problem following his steps to create the dynamic menu items for all the sections that will need new pages created, using the same file as he worked on.
I thought that I had it nailed however having built the site it needed a lot of changes due to the new dynamic nature of the navigation, so I created a new site scuptor site definition and built the new site in a different directory, so as to not destroy what I achieved yesterday.
Everything worked great but for some unknown reason my new pages are not showing up in the navigation,
I am pretty sure I am doing everything correctly but I have probably missed out a vital step somewhere along the line.
I have since closed my ticket, and feel bad about bothering him again, is there any chance you could check with him to see if I am doing this correctly?

My Steps were

1/ Open menu.php, edit the very top line to

<?php
if (0==1) {
?>
<?php require_once('../../Connections/PowerCMSConnection.php'); ?>
<?php
}
?>

2/Duplicate a Sub Menu Page and rename it to PAGENAME_template.php

3/Update the content area names to the Top Level name

4/Save the template page

5/back to menu.php select the link I wish to make dynamic in design view, duplicate it and rename it as the newly created template page,

6/Go to behaviours panel and add a recordset name it NameRS enter the SQL query, and click ok (when I test this it says no records? If I look on the one we did yesterday it shows a record set)

7/From the behaviours panel drag the ContentPageSetOrder within the link,

8/Delete the original text link and drag the ContentGroup from the behavoirs panel to replace the text link

9/Add Repeat region
above the link<?php do { ?>
below link <?php } while ($row_NameRS = mysql_fetch_assoc($NameRS)); ?>

10/File Save

11/Put

12/No to dependent files

I believe Ray did something that I did not pick up on at step 6 when he went into the phpMyAdmin, I am sure this is pretty much all that can be wrong.

I would like to post the full solution to help others that may be having the same problem but I would like to check I have it 100% right so as not to mislead people.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

The problem is probably the recordset.

What is the recordset SQL you are using?

Steve E

Thanks for your reply

Heres what Ive got, I've checked it against the working version of the code it just is not building the pages into the menu?

mysql_select_db($database_PowerCMSConnection, $PowerCMSConnection);
$query_AboutRS = "SELECT c2.ContentGroup, c2.ContentPageSetOrder FROM pcms2_contents AS c1 LEFT OUTER JOIN pcms2_contents AS c2 ON c2.ContentPagesetParentID = c1.ContentID WHERE c1.ContentGroup = 'About' AND c2.ContentPageSetOrder IS NOT NULL GROUP BY c2.ContentPageSetOrder Order BY c2.ContentPageSetOrder ASC";
$AboutRS = mysql_query($query_AboutRS, $PowerCMSConnection) or die(mysql_error());
$row_AboutRS = mysql_fetch_assoc($AboutRS);
$totalRows_AboutRS = mysql_num_rows($AboutRS);
}

<li class="parent"><a href="<?php echo($assumedRoot); ?>about.php">About</a>
<ul class="level-1">
<?php do { ?>
<li><a href="<?php echo($assumedRoot); ?>about/allabout.php?About=<?php echo $row_AboutRS['ContentPageSetOrder']; ?>"><?php echo $row_AboutRS['ContentGroup']; ?></a></li>
<?php } while ($row_AboutRS = mysql_fetch_assoc($AboutRS)); ?>
</ul>

<?php
mysql_free_result($AboutRS);
?>

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...