For all Solution Packs / PHP web apps, you will want to upload all the files and folders that have been provided. Some Solution Packs require that you modify various files before uploading. If that is necessary, make sure you have completed those steps before proceeding with these instructions. This tutorial demonstrates the process for uploading files using three different methods. Choose the method that works best for you.
- Using the Dreamweaver Files panel
- Using Windows Explorer (Windows XP and Vista users)
- Using Transmit with OS X (Mac OSX users)
Note: Although this How To only covers using three FTP clients, there are a wide range of FTP tools to choose from. If one of these listed below does not work for you, you might want to give something else a try, such as FileZilla.
Within the Dreamweaver Files panel, you can upload all your files through FTP to your live server. Before you can do this, you will have to have
configured the Remote Info settings within your defined site.
If you are a Dreamweaver owner, this is by far the most straightforward approach to uploading and downloading files from your live server.
- From the Dreamweaver files panel, click the Connect icon.
- Select the root folder of your site. The root folder will be listed above all other directories.
- Select the Put icon.
The upload process will begin and a dialog will display the progress.
Uploading an entire Solution Pack can take some time.
Built into Windows XP and Vista is a standard FTP client that will work with most hosting providers. Follow these steps to connect to this client, and
upload your files.
- On your Windows machine, open a Windows Explorer window. Typically, this can be done by opening My Computer, or Documents.
- In the Address bar enter ftp://yourdomain.com
Replace yourdomain.com with the path to your live server.
- Press Enter.
- When prompted, enter your username and password.
- Click OK.
Once you successfully connect you should see all the files stored on your server. By default, this is likely to be empty or contain only a few files.
- In another Windows Explorer window, locate your Solution Pack files.
- Press Ctrl A to select all the files.
- Click and drag those files to the FTP window. This will initiate the upload process.
The upload process can take some time.
The built-in FTP client with OSX only allows for downloading files form your web server. For this reason, we recommend using a very popular FTP client known as Transmit instead. You can obtain and install a version of Transmit from this address: http://www.panic.com/transmit/
Apache needs read/write/create permissions on the folder you are uploading to. All servers have different security policies so we suggest contacting your host for the best way to set these permissions on your server.
- After installing, open Transmit, click Connect.
- Enter your domain in the Server field.
For example: mydomain.com
- Enter your User name.
- Enter your password.
- Click Connect.
- Once Transmit connects to your server, you can drag any files you wish to the pane on the right hand side, either from the left hand pane, or from Finder.
With all Solution Packs, you will want to upload the entire package, including all directories. Once the upload process has completed, navigate to your web address in your browser to see if everything is working as desired.