close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

adding and editing links in Menu Writer

Thread began 11/02/2009 6:07 pm by micja | Last modified 5/24/2010 12:11 pm by Eric Mittman | 3698 views | 11 replies |

micja

adding and editing links in Menu Writer

I have windows vista, my site is in the testing server folder under an xampp folder and I am running Apache and MySQL. I JUST got menu writer to work (thanks Jason and Eric), and want to modify the drop down menus in powerstore 2. Some of the menu items need to link to pages that exist in another site (existing site done before we got Powerstore and all in html--schizo, I know).

My question is, am I better off to put the url in the link field, or will I be able to browse to a completely different site folder, one that is NOT in the xampp folder?

I've been told to separate the powerstore site and the existing site into two folders and just upload both to the same /public_html/ folder when I go live on the remote server. But I am concerned about the paths I will be creating...

Example:
Current "HOME" button becomes "Store" and link is: /index.php
the new "HOME" button link would browse to this path for the link:
L:/allsitecontent/existing_site/index.html which is the actual home page for the overall site.

Should this work?

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

I think that unless you have the sites in the same directory on the server you should probably not use the browser button to select the file but should instead use an absolute address for the other pages that include the http:// in them.

If you know your sites are going to be in the same directory then you can use the browse file system button to select the pages and create relative links to the other sites pages.

micja

Originally Said By: Eric Mittman
  I think that unless you have the sites in the same directory on the server you should probably not use the browser button to select the file but should instead use an absolute address for the other pages that include the http:// in them.

If you know your sites are going to be in the same directory then you can use the browse file system button to select the pages and create relative links to the other sites pages.  

Thanks Eric, very helpful. Just for clarification, when you say "unless you have the sites in the same directory on the server" do you mean they need to be in the same local testing server or as long as they end up in the same remote server? Or both?

If I go with an "absolute address" would it be filename.php? Or would it be the path to the file on my local computer? pagename.php?

Eric Mittman

When I refer to the same directory on the server I mean on the live server, but if you do not have them organized this way in your local sites and create relative links they may not work as intended on the live site.

For the absolute URL it would be like your first example:

filename.php

micja

When I refer to the same directory on the server I mean on the live server, but if you do not have them organized this way in your local sites and create relative links they may not work as intended on the live site.

For the absolute URL it would be like your first example:

filename.php  

Yes, the files are all in the same live server, but when I create the links in dreamweaver, I am having to point to files that are in a different dreamweaver site, so the path gets a bit convoluted.

I used menu writer to link to the pages of the existing site using the absolute URL and that seems to have worked well. In fact, they were the only pages I could get to come up. I seem to be having a template issue.

Eric Mittman

I think going with the absolute URL's may be the way to go if you are getting a good result like this. The problem with using relative links for the pages is getting them setup properly in DW. In order for the links to work correctly on the live site the relative paths must point to the correct pages. If they are organized differently on your local testing server then creating the links by selecting the other pages from within DW can result in the links being written incorrectly for the live pages. To overcome this you would need to examine the links and adjust them accordingly for how you have the pages in your live site.

micja

I think going with the absolute URL's may be the way to go if you are getting a good result like this. The problem with using relative links for the pages is getting them setup properly in DW. In order for the links to work correctly on the live site the relative paths must point to the correct pages. If they are organized differently on your local testing server then creating the links by selecting the other pages from within DW can result in the links being written incorrectly for the live pages. To overcome this you would need to examine the links and adjust them accordingly for how you have the pages in your live site.  

Which seems to be exactly the problem I am having, but have no idea how to work it out. The problem seems to be worse now that I have installed the powerstore site in the subfolder "store" on the remote server. Before I did that, I could at least get the index.php page to come up, but now I get the top part and then "require.once" errors because the paths don't match up. I do have an issue that requires private information, if you wouldn't mind starting a new ticket for me...

Eric Mittman

You will need to keep track of where you are placing the files and adjust the paths accordingly. Since you can put the files into any folder or end destination it is very difficult to tell you what the correct values should be for the links, this is why it is important to have an understanding of basic linking structure so that you can make these changes when they are needed.

For the error you are currently getting when you try to visit the index page what is the path to the connection file on the top of this page? Also, where in relation to this file on your live server is this connections folder?

If you have moved just some of the files into this new subdirectory it may be the problem, ensure that you have uploaded all of the files and folders for this part. If it is necessary to share the private details I will open you a ticket but I think this is just a linking issue that we should be able to work out without these details.

anonymous

Menu Writer - Powerstore 3

Hi If someone could help - i have a site in dreamweaver uploaded to server etc, but for some reason when i try to enter the menu menu to add another link it said that the powerstore connection doesnot pick up any table to enable access. I know its connected because i can see the record sets already set up on page for boxes but it uses complex sql in the code rather than showing table - how do i get the menu changed when the powerstore connection does not show tables etc?

Eric Mittman

Here is a post that might help with this issue:

showpost.php?p=42499&postcount=6

It refers to an updated file that might help you to get past this issue. Although there is a guide for it and the menu using in PowerStore was created with Menu Writer I would not suggest updating the menu with Menu Writer. I have seen that it can cause a few different issues and it is difficult to correct.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...