close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Have you actually tested on an Apple Mac?

Thread began 10/07/2009 5:39 pm by mrs | Last modified 10/29/2009 2:12 pm by anonymous | 8806 views | 27 replies |

mrs

Have you actually tested on an Apple Mac?

I am incensed with rage here. I have spent hours loading and unloading your extensions on a completely new Mac only to have DW crash time and time again.

It's to do with the memento panel, and there are so many people on this forum that have complained about it, so why on earth have you got it as an automatic install?

I have now spent five hours in the extension manager loading and unloading your extensions, nobody else's, just to have DW crash on me!!

It's all because the memento panel is so unstable. I have had to find an extension that will allow me to keep DW open long enough so I can choose to never use it.

Once I had managed to disable the memento panel, I started slowly loading your extensions one at a time, then launching DW to see if it will remain open. Painstakingly slow, so I decided to run the risk of doing two at a time... BIG mistake! All was going well after five hours, and suddenly, loading one of the last remaining extensions, DW crashes upon launch. So, I unload the offending couple of extensions, but to no avail. I now find myself having to unload them all again only to go and load them again! F**K

Your memento panel is a cheap shot at extra marketing. You already have marketing loaded into each extension when they are launched, so please, for god's sake, have memento as an extra loadable extension rather than a must have. I have lost so much time trying to sort this out!

I am an Adobe Influencer, and since the introduction of memento and the stability issues I now face, I have not once recommended your software as I do not want my clients coming back to me stating I should sort out their problems because I recommended something inherently unstable!

The extension I started to unload before writing this rant is still trying to unload... I have another 28 to get through!

Sign in to reply to this post

jon_upton

Hello Mrs

This issue doesn't just happen with momento and webassist products it happens with other extension writers products that take advantage of Dreamweavers extensibility. The fix is to delete Dreamweavers cache file and all works well then.

I rather think you are shooting the wrong person and should be addressing your concerns to Adobe - a quick search of their forums will bring up a number of postings about the cache file and extensibility issues.

For anyone who hasn't seen the fix its listed below

Delete the WinFilecache-########.dat or MacFileCache-########.dat, depending on your operating system, file from the following location:

WinXP
-DW8
--C:\Documents and Settings\<Your User Name>\Application Data\Macromedia\Dreamweaver 8\Configuration
-DWCS3
--C:\Documents and Settings\<Your User Name>\Application Data\Adobe\Dreamweaver 9\Configuration
-DWCS4
--C:\Documents and Settings\<Your User Name>\Application Data\Adobe\Dreamweaver CS4\en_US\Configuration

Win Vista
-DW8
--C:\Users\<Your User Name>\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Dreamweaver 8\Configuration
-DWCS3
--C:Users\<Your User Name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Dreamweaver 9\Configuration
-DWCS4
--C:\Users\<Your User Name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Dreamweaver CS4\en_US\Configuration

Mac OSX;
-DW8
--Hard disk: Users: <Your User Name>: Library: Application Support: Macromedia: Dreamweaver 8:Configuration
-DWCS3
--Hard disk: Users: <Your User Name>: Library: Application Support: Adobe: Dreamweaver 9: Configuration
-DWCS4
--Hard disk: Users: <Your User Name>: Library: Application Support: Adobe: Dreamweaver CS4: en_US: Configuration

(Please note that <Your User Name> Should be replaced with the User name you use to log into your computer)

regards

Jon

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Yes, Jon Is correct, when Dreamweaver Crashes on loading after installing extensions, the problem is in the Dreamweaver Cache file in the users configuration folder.

On the support landing page:
support/

There is a link to the "Common Installation Issues" document that explains the fix that Jon has posted bellow:
common_installation_issues.pdf

neilo

Hi Jason,

I have had my share of problems (and still do) - presumably caused by Adobe as explained above - but have been reluctant to delete the wincache as I thought it would necessitate reinstalling all my third-party extensions, and/or would lose the saved settings of the extensions in Dreamweaver.

Please could you give me an idea of what to expect once I have deleted or renamed the wincache file?

Thanks.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

You will not have to reinstall extensions if you delete the winfile cache.

You should not notice anything after deleting that file, it is a file Dreamweaver uses in the background.

orders178658

Deleting the cache file doesn't stop my crashes

This is a new DW CS4 installation on OS X 10.5.8. I installed all the WebAssist extensions, deleted the MacFileCache.dat file from /users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Dreamweaver CS4/en_US/Configuration/
and DreamWeaver crashes. What now?

Stephen

DataAssist 2.06

I found that by moving AA_000_WADA_Init.htm out of my Configuration/Startup folder the crashes stop.

Stephen

Momento_Startup.htm

Correction. I still get crashes. After some 15 or 20 restarts what I have consistently found is that moving Momento_Startup.htm out of the Startup folder stops the crashes. It obviously introduces some other big problems in using WebAssist. What now?

anonymous

Stephen,

Do you have any other third party extensions installed?

I have used WebAssist stuff on every incarnation of Leopard and now Snow Leopard and have zero problems (and I am running every single extension available).

I have in the past had issues, though, with other extensions where I needed to unload them one by one to find out what was causing the problem.

Best regards,

Brian

Stephen

Would installation order matter?

Hi Brian,

Originally Said By: SOJO web
  Do you have any other third party extensions installed?  

No, this is a clean install with no other extensions.

I have used WebAssist stuff on every incarnation of Leopard and now Snow Leopard and have zero problems (and I am running every single extension available).  

I wonder if load order matters? It appears that some of the code is shared across the WebAssist extensions and it is hard to imagine that none of that shared code would be updated in the newer extensions.

I have in the past had issues, though, with other extensions where I needed to unload them one by one to find out what was causing the problem.  

I tried backing them out till I was down to just a few extensions. I decided to go ahead and start clean and so I removed them all. I now only have 2 or 3 of the newest extensions loaded.

If I did a backup of
/users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Dreamweaver CS4/en_US/Configuration/

Would a restore of all those subfolders return my DW CS4 install/extensions to the state at the time of the backup? Going through the Extension Manager can be ridiculously slow for removing a number of extensions. I am just looking for a faster way to restore my setup once it's hosed rather than relying on the obvious EM bugs.

Stephen

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...