close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

What do I use to receive the form results?

Thread began 8/19/2009 3:18 pm by steven371033 | Last modified 9/14/2009 2:23 pm by Jason Byrnes | 8009 views | 31 replies |

steven371033

What do I use to receive the form results?

I am guessing that Form Builder just builds the form but doesn't set up the PHP for receiving the results of the form.

So which of your programs does and where can I get information or tutorials to show me how to do that?

Perhaps Universal Email but how would that work sending back the detailed form information?

Thanks much!

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

We have a couple of ways you can accomplish this. Using the Form Builder along with Universal Email you can create a form that fits your needs then you can use Universal Email to send the form information in an email. If you are interested in doing it this way we have a Solution Recipe for Universal Email that details the steps you would need to take. It can be found the the support page for Universal Email in the Solution Recipes. Here is a link to the support page:

universal-email/

Another way you could to this would be to use our Contact Form Solution Pack. It has a form the user fills in and sends the results to whomever you would like. Here is a link to the page with more info on this:

contact-form/

mikael360692

Steven,

You could also just tell the form action to send it to your formmail.pl if you have that installed.

...Mikael

steven371033

Cleaning up the form submission email wording

OK, got Form Builder to work with Universal Email.

But when I get the emailed form results it looks like this:

Contact me group Name: Steven J Harte
Contact me group Email: steven@hartethrobgraphics.com
Contact me group Comments: Greetings! Seeing if this works.
Contact me group Security code: 9bkAx
Contact me group nbsp: 9
HiddenFields fields:
SimpleContact submit x: 27
SimpleContact submit y: 8

So how could I get rid of all the extraneous stuff with this? E.G. "Contact me group" which Form Builder inserts for the values of the forms. I don't see anything within the Form Builder menu to change that. Doing a "find and replace" in DW would effect all the javascript etc.

Also, a client wouldn't need all the security code info and hidden fields stuff. I am sure they would want the results lean and mean.

Any easy solutions?

Thanks much!

Eric Mittman

The best way to do this is to update the html body of your Universal Email message from within the Universal Email server behavior. Instead of using the for each loop you can use the individual elements in the email directly. First remove the for each, then using the bindings panel in design view type out labels for your fields then drag and drop the bindings onto the page where you would like them to appear. This will give you a custom layout with the values directly from the form in the email message.

dgwhit288523

Form Builder - An After Thought!

I purchased Form Builder today thinking that it was a complete, easy to use extension with the "send to" "cc" and all the other configurations there. I should have checked before I purchased it! I am also upset that I paid for an extension that by comparison to others, is not complete!

First, I own about every extension that WebAssist makes and I love their products and use them frequently when devloping my client's web sites. Don't take this as "bashing" anything or them, I am simply very disappointed in this extension.

I own most of the Project Seven Extensions and all of the CoffeCup extensions. They make life much easier for me as a site developer.

The developers at WebAssist should take a look at CoffeeCup's Form builder as an example.
form-builder

You can do practically anything with this PHP form in terms of customization and it is user friendly for a complete novice. Here is one for you to look at: contact_us.htm

I don't even know why I purchased the WebAssist Form Builder today. I guess it is just a habit. (probably good for most of the time)

Here is a good example for you WebAssist developers to make your extension user friendly like it should have been before you introduced it!

Cheers!

Don

neil186287

Absolutely agree with dgwhit288523.

Bought this assuming it would at least have ability to map fields to mysql. I got to the interface, - practically no formatting options and no fine-tuning options, with no integration options either. Easier and quicker to build your own templates. Crashed every time I used it ("While executing onClick in WAFB_AddForm htm, the following JavaScript error(s) occurred: . . . etc" etc.). Never got even a simple form out of it. Even if it worked, it would be an abject waste of disk space.

Am within my first fifteen days so will be returning it for refund along with the similarly lamentable Digital File Pro (I found a far superior two page script from Sitepoint). WebAssist does some great stuff, but seem to be scraping the barrel with their latest offerings. They seem to promise more than they provide.

Shame, - although I won't discount the possibility of some better thought out and programmed Apps in the future.

Eric Mittman

Thanks for the feedback on our new CSS Form Builder tool. We used to just have a tool called the Validation Toolkit, it was an extension that would allow you to add in validations to a web form. We had many request to have a more capable validation tool that would also let you build out the forms and apply the validations in a single approach. This is what the CSS Form Builder is designed to do, allow you to create a form for just about any purpose and choose the elements that are in that form and apply validation. It can also be used on existing forms that are already in place.

While there are many other features offered by the tool this is the primary intent, create forms and apply the validations. While pointing out a competitor tool that you find useful is helpful it would be most helpful to get specific feedback on CSS Form Builder and it's functionality in regards to what you like about/don't like about it as well as any suggestions for new or different features that would be helpful. This type of feedback will help us to produce more robust and feature rich versions of our tools.

Ozdachs

"Form Builder" Implied More to Me, Too

I'm trolling here on the last day of the form builder sale, thinking I was going to buy the extension. But, really, I am looking to build a form that I can put into a web page and be done with it. That includes sending the form information somewhere!

I didn't expect to have to spend another $100 for Universal Mail and then to worry about bindings and other good things.

Providing a form building extension that validates fields and does CAPTCHA is a great idea. But, how about making ONE extension to buy?

donna387432

Form Builder for Mac

"dgwhit288523"-

I took a look at the Coffecup Form builder you suggested - It looks good, but I work on a Mac. I am a complete beginner at PHP and have wasted valuable days trying to figure out this FB. Any suggestions for a good form builder for use on a Mac-- that would also include the 'back-end' stuff?

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...