close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

setting up failed...

Thread began 7/19/2011 8:41 am by edrosenthal350859 | Last modified 7/22/2011 8:48 am by edrosenthal350859 | 2383 views | 7 replies |

edrosenthal350859

setting up failed...

i am trying to follow the instructions but likely i have missed something. I opened up DW (CS4) and activated Power Builder CMS. I highlighted some text and started the procedure to add content. knowing in advance i would use a database on the remote machine i created that database and after the database setup was complete was able to obtain the hosting name for mysql. ie;

Host Name:
h50mysql137.secureserver.net
db name etc...

having all that info i thought i was going to be able to proceed with the dw pb cms setup. however it was unable to make the database connection. i think i realize that since the db remote setup had no dialogue for me to make the database externally accessible, and lack of any tunnel to get to it, makes the power builder setup unrealizable the way it was supposed to go, or am i wrong about that?
eddie
are there another set of instructions that i should be following?

ok i am trying this again with a client, who DID have the database ability to have remote access and the following occurred.
I was able to complete and test connect ok, then continued to try to put something under cms.
I highlighted some text, then went to the menu to put under the cms, and got the following error:
While executing applyServerBehavior in WAPCMS_ContentNode.htm, a JavaScript error occurrred.
any suggestions ?
thanks in advance

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

for the connection to work, the host must support connections t othe mysql server from outside computers. you should contact the host to see if they support connections to the mySQL server from outside computers.

edrosenthal350859

external connection was ok...

i am using a database that was connected to ok, after i switched to using one of my clients' server databases, that has been allowed that sort of access. That part of the install was done ok, after it failed on my own database ( i am upgrading to allow for that ). But now after that part worked, no files were uploaded to the server, and i got that javascript error...
i have not installed power cms on this client's site. Am i to do that first? in the document it says i would be advised to upload files,
which files? powercms 2.1 files?
so what to do?note also that i have removed the cache dat file.
e

edrosenthal350859

need more help!

ok never mind! i think i see my stupid ways... ( php is better than html, hint )
ok having said that i did make progress, but its still not working.
i ( after changing the suffix) saw that it seemed to be working, as it put the developer notes in place.
i uploaded and thought i saw other files uploaded as well.
i went to that file on the remote server, ( i thought it was the remote server) and i went through an install process.
i don't see a local database with that name, so i will look in a min. to see if its on the remote side.
but i cannot seem to get it to work yet...
i got redirected back to a file that does not exist - <domainname>/install_cms/index.php
ok i manually uploaded a few directories and then it started to make headway on the remote admin installation.
but now i am getting this error

Warning: require(install.dwt.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/87/6888687/html/install_cms/serial.php on line 10

Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'install.dwt.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in /home/content/87/6888687/html/install_cms/serial.php on line 10

ok i found that in the templates directory and uploaded that. let's see if it proceeds.
ok install finally worked. but now the editor failed because it is lacked the editor!
ok so now i am uploading the webassist directory... i thought the all the files were to be uploaded... ok lesson learned.
btw - files are still uploading so although i can see the content in the editor, i am waiting for the files to be completely uploaded
to actually edit.
nice!

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

not sure from this last post, but are you still having problems?

if so please clarify the current state.

edrosenthal350859

working around issues

i seem to have overcome the earlier deficits. once i was able to finish the install - I just am proceeding as if i didn't have builder though. i put in place in php files the top two required files, then on the remote server use the cms to add content, and get the developer notes.
than i put the notes into the local file, and upload. not sure if i would screw things up if i did it any other way. sure this is not the envisioned workflow is it? i probably can save a step or two if i was confident the thing would work properly...

---*** i am having an issue with the image icon though. i am trying to figure that one out first, before another postal...
i believe its because dw did not upload all the files i asked it to, especially in the kfm directory...
i especially appreciate the font code is in place in the editor, instead of manually putting it there, and can i expect
to be able to upload from the desktop, through the editor, a local file for an image?

it is possible that because i did not have those required files added before trying to use builder, that i wouldn't get the javascript error. perhaps when i have more time and want to experiment on a file where i don't have to worry about so much, like one that doesn't go into production, i will though...
i think the most suspicious problem was that not all the files and directories were uploaded by builder, but also that the javascript error does not lend itself to investigation, by this detective anyway!
thanks!

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Let us know if you have a project you'd like help debugging this issue with. We'll schedule a support incident and have an engineer work with you in a screen sharing session. Then you can reproduce the problem you are experiencing and we'll help debug it and figure out a solution.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

edrosenthal350859

local host instead of remote host

ok now that i have one builder install under the belt, one in which it basically was a manual install and got at least the client pages under cms and editable, now i want to test it on my own remote server and started the process by creating an accessible database to test with.
Even this test is not a pure one though, since previously i had installed the wa cms on the remote server and there are some files there, although i believe it is version 1 files.
anyway i started up builder and it wants to install on the localhost, the same thing as it did before - when i failed to notice that issue. so i have to install on the local host and then
put the files on the remote server, unless there is some dw management of the site that i should be doing beforehand? such as removing the testing server from the picture?

further on... i uploaded various directories and after doing that did not have to go through another install, and the original content that was placed under cms was available on the remote host. so apparently the builder accesses the remote database, placed the content there, and after putting the files all is ready for a user to edit the pages that have been put under the cms...
the directories that i needed to upload were
webassist
CSSMenuWriter
WA_CMS
WA_Globals
cms
admin_cms
Connections
Templates
and css

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...