close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Clarification on Theme-It, Upload to Server & Footer

Thread began 2/10/2011 12:37 pm by don324575 | Last modified 2/14/2011 1:17 pm by Jason Byrnes | 1559 views | 3 replies |

don324575

Clarification on Theme-It, Upload to Server & Footer

Dear Sirs:

Background: Working on Dell with/CS3/DW 9.0, Windows XP Pro system. Built www.thiemecreativemedia.com with WebAssist/Site Assist. Purchased Site Sculptor {SS} last fall. Finding it frustrating and not user-friendly. Would like to master SS for many reasons.

2.10.11 Update

Your reply to my December 2010 posting was oblique, BUT you provided extremely valuable tip on "Firebug" for "Firefox" browser. {You only made brief mention of Firebug; didn't know at that time, it was a FF Extension.} Have downloaded Firebug 1.6.2. into FF. Wow ... thanks for that tip.

While I judge that WebAssist/SS would be a stronger DW Extension if you could easily find detailed sizes for Template portions, you're right: Firebug is an awesome tool for overcoming WA/SS's deficiency for detailed "div, etc." sizing.

Now, as I've shared with Neil in Sales, I'm going to give WA/SS one more intense effort to master your SS Wizard, but if I cannot slay the dragon, then it's time to move to the competition.

So, questions of the moment:

Q. Is your YouTube tutorial on "Theme-It" completely relevant to the Theme-It component in WA/SS or is the Theme-It in SS a "stripped down version?"

Q. The WA/SS instructors online in SS videos keep making reference to "Upload to Server" and then later in the tutorial, "Go Live!" I would never put a client's website out on the Internet via a Web Hosting Company's Server until I had fully previewed my work in Dreamweaver's Previewing mode for both Firefox and Internet Explorer. Therefore, is your Wizard's "Upload to Server" step really a mis-statement?

Q. For one client, leaning heavily to your SS "Simple" Template. Is your wording of "Resource List" another way of stating "Site Footer" details? Or how do I make the Site Footer horizontal script -- with or without hyperlinks -- part of the Simple Template?

Q. Related question: Your Wizard shows "Sitemap." I liked the Sitemaps I got out of Site Assist. Will WA/SS's Sitemap give me the same hierarchal structure to all of the navigational buttons and any pages falling under a specific nav button?

Don
410.394.0326 {EST}

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Originally Said By: don324575
  Q. Is your YouTube tutorial on "Theme-It" completely relevant to the Theme-It component in WA/SS or is the Theme-It in SS a "stripped down version?"  

The Theme - it included in site sculptor is exactly the same as the standalone version of Theme-it

Q. The WA/SS instructors online in SS videos keep making reference to "Upload to Server" and then later in the tutorial, "Go Live!" I would never put a client's website out on the Internet via a Web Hosting Company's Server until I had fully previewed my work in Dreamweaver's Previewing mode for both Firefox and Internet Explorer. Therefore, is your Wizard's "Upload to Server" step really a mis-statement?  

Different people have different work flows. some people manage a local testing server, others use a sub domain of the remote site as a testing server. Those instructions are in place to make sure that the files are on the testing server before you try to preview.

Q. For one client, leaning heavily to your SS "Simple" Template. Is your wording of "Resource List" another way of stating "Site Footer" details? Or how do I make the Site Footer horizontal script -- with or without hyperlinks -- part of the Simple Template?  

The Resource list is part of the Club - Agency site type. it is inteded as a list of respources for the Club or Agency.

the footer is already a part of the simple design, any pages under the Footer Pages section will be included as links int he page footer.

Q. Related question: Your Wizard shows "Sitemap." I liked the Sitemaps I got out of Site Assist. Will WA/SS's Sitemap give me the same hierarchal structure to all of the navigational buttons and any pages falling under a specific nav button?  

Yes, the site sculptor sitemap will have the same hierarchical structure

don324575

Further Clarification Needed on WA/SS Wizard Options

[posted February 14, 2011]

Dear Sirs:

Background: Working on Dell with/CS3/DW 9.0, Windows XP Pro system. Built www.thiemecreativemedia.com with WebAssist/Site Assist. Purchased Site Sculptor {SS} last fall. Finding it frustrating and not user-friendly. Would like to master SS for many reasons.

2.14.11 Update

New Background: For website client of the moment, working with SS's "Simple, Consultant Professional" Template.

Jason, appreciate your timely reply on last posting. Clearly understood a couple of your answers; just what I needed.

However, on the following, we're not connecting. I had asked:

Jason's reply:

"Different people have different work flows. some people manage a local testing server, others use a sub domain of the remote site as a testing server. Those instructions are in place to make sure that the files are on the testing server before you try to preview."

Jason, before answering, let me clear on the client's needs -- at this time. This client's website needs to be a straight HTML site, somewhere between 7 and 10 pages, including the HOME page. There will be no "drop downs" on the Nav buttons -- at this stage. So I need to get everything presentable in CS3/DW 9.0, OFFLINE, here in my office for client presentation.

Q. So, do I stay away from checking the "box" for "Include content management for this site?" Yes, from within DW 9.0, I will be adding substantial Body Copy/"Content" and supporting content-related images.

Jason, I spent about an hour and a half today trying to master the Wizard/Theme-It/Modifying Images in FW/Inserting new Images, etc. I knew to never hit "Finish," because I wasn't there yet in all of my Wizard/Template/Color Tweaking. However, all my "work-in-progress" went away -- as I tried to move from one section of the Wizard to another. Now, I have to start all over again. Which brings us to a critical WA/SS option.

Q. Can I save my "work-in-progress" in the Wizard, knowing that I didn't reach the final tweaks in the SS Wizard? And how do I get back to this "work-in-progress?" Where I can continue massaging the website look. When I hit "Finish" {AGAIN!} will the Wizard will update the site's overall look, colors, etc.?

Q. Do I come back to the WA/SS "Preset Manager" option in the DW drop down?

Don
410.394.0326 {EST}

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

If you are not ready to upload the site to the server, then do not upload the site to the server, this is what I was trying to get at when I said that "Different people have different work flows. some people manage a local testing server, others use a sub domain of the remote site as a testing server."

Some people dop there testing localy ( No Need to Upload to the server to test) Some do there testing remotely (In this case you would need to uplopad to the remote teting server to test).

Really it is up to you and your work flow.

If your work flow is to test locally and not upload to the server until testing is done, then do not upload to the server until you have completed testing.

If you click on the theme it button and make you tweaks, then click on cancel to get out of theme it, yes, you will loose any of the tweaks you have made, that's what happens when you click cancel, you cancel out all of the changes. to save the changes you made, you would need to click the finish button.

bear in mind that the finish button in theme it is not the finish button in the Site Sculptor wizard, they are 2 separate finish buttons.

when you click the finish button in theme It, you will prompted to save your changes as a new Theme.

if you save the changes as a new theme, then you can click the cancel button in Site Sculptor and when you open Site Sculptor again, you can select your saved theme.

Same holds true if you click the Define button next to Site type, make changes on that screen and click finish, you will be prompted to save your changes as a new site type that can be reused later.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...