close ad
WARNING: Do Not Install the DREAMWEAVER CC 2017 or 2018 Update »
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Registering users on local server

Thread began 5/06/2010 2:12 pm by koneill385535 | Last modified 5/19/2010 9:37 pm by Eric Mittman | 1180 views | 9 replies |

koneill385535

Registering users on local server

Hi,

I just went through the SecurityAssist wizard and built all the pages to login and register. However, when I tried to register on the local server, it didn't create my account. The information I entered is in my database, but I don't know how to activate the account.

I think the problem may be with the email confirmation. I entered the email address I wanted to send it from but was not asked to provide a password or anything. Did I need to have Universal Email set up before I went through the wizard?

Sign in to reply to this post

Eric Mittman

The verify email does not send the password, it send the user a link to click on that takes them back to your site to the confirm page. This page should update the UserEmailVerified column to be set to 1. Once this columns value has been updated the user will be verified.

You will not be able to have this email sent without a properly configured SMTP sever available on the server you are testing the pages on.

koneill385535

How do I set it up so I can send a confirmation email? Is there a tutorial somewhere?

Eric Mittman

You will need to test the script out on a server with an SMTP server running. To do local email testing like this on a Windows machine I will make use of a nice tool called Free SMTP Server. It is very simple to use and acts as a local SMTP server. I can use this tool on my Windows machine to successfully send emails. I'm not sure of any for the Mac though. If you have access to a live server for testing purposes that has an SMTP server you should be able to use that.

koneill385535

OK,

I'm just testing everything live right now, but I don't know how to actually tell the computer to send out a confirmation email. I told it which email address to send it from but I didn't give it my credentials. How do I get the emails to actually get sent out?

Eric Mittman

The confirmation email is sent after registering. If you would like to trigger this functionality to test the email that is coming through you will need to register a new user with the user registration page on your live server. If the user already exists in the db you can delete them first to register a new user with those details.

koneill385535

How do you program it to automatically send out an email without giving your credentials for the email address you choose to send it from? Or how do you give your credentials so it does happen?

Do you need to manually send out each confirmation email?

Eric Mittman

I'm a little unsure about what you are asking. Normally when a user registers the confirmation email is sent to that user at that time. I think I might have a better understanding of what you are hoping to accomplish if you can post back and explain it in a little more detail from the perspective of the user that will be doing this.

The confirm email functionality that is built into Security Assist is not very customizable. If you would like to be able to send emails under your own custom conditions you would need to make use of Universal Email. Here is a link to the product page for this if you do not have this tool:

universal-email/

koneill385535

I have Universal Email, but I haven't applied it to the registration process. Is that what I need to do?

My confusion about the email is that I gave the computer the email address I would like to send the emails from, but I didn't give it my password or anything to verify that it actually is me. So I doubt the program's ability to send an email from that address.

For instance, I told the computer that I want the emails to be sent from webmaster@eperfusion.com... but I didn't give a password or tell it how to access that email account.

So I don't really know how the email function works. I didn't really give it any information to be able send out an email. Maybe you can explain this to me; I might need to apply Universal Email to get the result I'm looking for.

Eric Mittman

In order to send out the emails you just need to ensure that you have access to an SMTP server that does not require authentication. This is very common for most hosts. So all that you really need is the appropriate address for the server with the SMTP running.

The email address that you enter as the from value is just like a label, you could put in your email address or any other.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...