close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

problems uploading via dreamweaver ftp

Thread began 3/29/2010 1:32 pm by michaelgreen252387183 | Last modified 4/09/2010 7:21 am by michaelgreen252387183 | 20643 views | 16 replies |

michaelgreen252387183

problems uploading via dreamweaver ftp

hello, i recently upgraded to ps3 and im getting an error message when trying to upload files via ftp to live site in cpanel. im using dreamweaver cs4, so far what ive done was dragged all files into my dreamweaver files panel and then connected to remote host and while trying to put on to site i am prompted with this error..
thanks
AboutUs.php - error occurred - An FTP error occurred - cannot put AboutUs.php. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem. Make sure you have proper authorization on the server and the server is properly configured.
/Admin - error occurred - Unable to create remote folder /Admin. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem. Make sure you have proper authorization on the server and the server is properly configured.
careers.php - error occurred - An FTP error occurred - cannot put careers.php. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem. Make sure you have proper authorization on the server and the server is properly configured.
cart.php - error occurred - An FTP error occurred - cannot put cart.php. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem. Make sure you have proper authorization on the server and the server is properly configured.
checkout.php - error occurred - An FTP error occurred - cannot put checkout.php. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem. Make sure you have proper authorization on the server and the server is properly configured.
checkout_failure.php - error occurred - An FTP error occurred - cannot put checkout_failure.php. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem. Make sure you have proper authorization on the server and the server is properly configured.
checkout_success.php - error occurred - An FTP error occurred - cannot put checkout_success.php. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem. Make sure you have proper authorization on the server and the server is properly configured.
confirm.php - error occurred - An FTP error occurred - cannot put confirm.php. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem. Make sure you have proper authorization on the server and the server is properly configured.
contactus.php - error occurred - An FTP error occurred - cannot put contactus.php. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem. Make sure you have proper authorization on the server and the server is properly configured.
/css - error occurred - Unable to create remote folder /css. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem. Make sure you have proper authorization on the server and the server is properly configured.
/CSSFormBuilder - error occurred - Unable to create remote folder /CSSFormBuilder. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem. Make sure you have proper authorization on the server and the server is properly configured.
/CSSMenuWriter - error occurred - Unable to create remote folder /CSSMenuWriter. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem. Make sure you have proper authorization on the server and the server is properly configured.
/DynamicWebCharts - error occurred - Unable to create remote folder /DynamicWebCharts. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem. Make sure you have proper authorization on the server and the server is properly configured.
faq.php - error occurred - An FTP error occurred - cannot put faq.php. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem. Make sure you have proper authorization on the server and the server is properly configured.
/google_javascript - error occurred - Unable to create remote folder /google_javascript. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem. Make sure you have proper authorization on the server and the server is properly configured.
/HTMLEditor - error occurred - Unable to create remote folder /HTMLEditor. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem. Make sure you have proper authorization on the server and the server is properly configured.
/Images - error occurred - Unable to create remote folder /Images. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem. Make sure you have proper authorization on the server and the server is properly configured.
index.php - error occurred - An FTP error occurred - cannot put index.php. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem. Make sure you have proper authorization on the server and the server is properly configured.
/install - error occurred - Unable to create remote folder /install. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem. Make sure you have proper authorization on the server and the server is properly configured.
/js - error occurred - Unable to create remote folder /js. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem. Make sure you have proper authorization on the server and the server is properly configured.
Ordering.php - error occurred - An FTP error occurred - cannot put Ordering.php. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem. Make sure you have proper authorization on the server and the server is properly configured.
orders_Detail.php - error occurred - An FTP error occurred - cannot put orders_Detail.php. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem. Make sure you have proper authorization on the server and the server is properly configured.
orders_History.php - error occurred - An FTP error occurred - cannot put orders_History.php. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem. Make sure you have proper authorization on the server and the server is properly configured.
pp_cancel.php - error occurred - An FTP error occurred - cannot put pp_cancel.php. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem. Make sure you have proper authorization on the server and the server is properly configured.
pp_checkout_failure.php - error occurred - An FTP error occurred - cannot put pp_checkout_failure.php. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem. Make sure you have proper authorization on the server and the server is properly configured.
pp_checkout_success.php - error occurred - An FTP error occurred - cannot put pp_checkout_success.php. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem. Make sure you have proper authorization on the server and the server is properly configured.

Sign in to reply to this post

neilo

Hiya Michael,

Nice to hear from you again!

I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean about dragging files in to dreamweaver files panel or FTPing to cpanel'

The surest way is to define a site in Dreamweaver with local and remote details all entered, and use the in-built 'Test' button to make sure you have access to a working FTP connection in Dreamweaver.

I apologise if I've misunderstood, and the following instructions are redundant, but they might help, and someone else may benefit.

-------------------------------------------------

Open Dreamweaver, and in the Menu bar at the top, select; Site > New Site > and in the window that opens, make sure the 'advanced' tab is selected.

Under 'Category', select 'Local Info'. [See attached image, site_definition1.png]

Site name: Choose a name for your local Site.
Local root folder: Click the little folder icon and navigate to the folder that contains all your PS3 files and folders. (You may have to select a file inside that one for the right path to show up) Your path may look something like: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\PowerStore300\
Links Relative to: Make sure 'Document' has been selected.

Then under 'Category' again, select 'Remote Info' Your hosting provider should have given you all the necessary details.

Access: Choose 'FTP' from the select list.
FTP host: This will be something like 'ftp.mydomainname.com' or
Host Directory: This may be something like 'html/mydomainname.com/
Login: Your FTP login name (might be the same as your cpanel login name)
Password: Your FTP Password (might be the same as your cpanel login password)

[See attached image, site_definition2.png]

Click the 'Test' Button, and you should see a pop-up message saying, "Dreamweaver connected to your Web Server successfully [See attached image, site_definition3.png]. If it doesn't, then contact your hosting provider to request all the FTP information mentioned above. (FTP Host, Host Directory, Login and Password).

If all is fine, then Click OK, and then OK again to exit the site definition.

Dreamweaver will now create your cache, this may take a few of seconds. When it has finished, your PowerStore site (i.e. Files and Folders) will show up in your Files panel.

With your Dreamweaver 'Power Store' site defined, and the FTP connection tested and working, you can upload the whole site to your remote server. If you like, before doing that, you can click on 'Local View' in the bar at the top of the files panel and choose 'Remote View' just to check that your files will be uploading to the right directory. [See attached image, site_definition4.png] The very top level should read the same as you entered for 'Host Directory' above.

Now switch back to 'Local View'. Click the top level folder that will read (something like) 'Site - Power Store'.

Finally, click on the 'upload' icon, which is a blue Arrow pointing upwards. Another pop-up message will ask you, "Are you sure you wish to put the entire site?"

Click OK. If prompted with any messages about overwriting files or about synchronisation info, just keep clicking OK or agree to any options.

The files will take some time to upload, and you will know when it's finished when the 'background activity' indicators are finished.

Then in your browser, navigate to yourdomain.com and the Installation checks and instruction steps will begin.

Hope this helps; - if you get problems post back with which stage caused problems and any messages you get.

If I've completely missed the point, sorry - and post back with more detail!

Cheers.

michaelgreen252387183

ftp problems

hey neilo, i appreciate the detail its much needed. i believe ive covered most of your instructions, i just want to piont out my steps to see if im missing something. thanks.

Im not working with a local testing server im uploading directly to my remote server.
after downloading ps3 to my desktop. i open dreamweaver cs4 and define a site,
i enter all local information and then enter my remote server info which i then test and it returns successful. i then highlight all powerstore files on desktop and drag and drop into my dreamweaver files panel window(not sure if this was correct approach if not please advise)i then select connect in my dreamweaver files panel and then highlight top folder and select put...i then am prompted with upload entire site message....i choose yes and then it starts reading off the previously posted error message. also just to point out in my dw site definition /remote info...ive filled all the remote credentials ftp host.. i put .. mysite.com
under login i put ftp.mysite.com and also added my password. it was suggested by my hosting provider to input this way ..i was also suggested to leave the hosting directory blank.. which ive done and then i ran the connection test which it passed. message said dreamweaver successfully connected to server. im hoping ive made some obvious noob mistakes..thanks again

neilo

Hiya Michael,

That's right, you don't need a local testing server, you just need to get the folders and files to your remote site.

I think I'm missing something about the process though, because I haven't seen things done quite this way before. Sorry to be a bit slow picking it up, but the first bit I can't quite get to grips with is where you say you 'highlight all powerstore files on desktop and drag and drop into my dreamweaver files panel window'. It's just that I've never done that, and when I try to do that here to test it out, I can't do it. The only way that I can drag files or folders in to Dreamweaver's Files panel, is if I open that folder in Adobe Bridge, select the files and folders and then drag them in. It is maybe just a lack of experience on my part.

So for that bit, please could you tell me what version of Dreamweaver you are using*, and what operating system is on your computer*?

The main point I would like to mention about that bit, is that if you have set up your site definition in Dreamweaver properly, so that in Local Root folder points to the directory that holds all the PowerStore files and folders, then they will all appear in your Local Files panel already, without having to drag any files in to it. When you have defined your local and remote site, do you not see the files and folders in your Local Files panel in Dreamweaver* (without any dragging)?

The second bit that is strange for me (just because it is outside of my experience) is the settings that your domain hosts have given you for your FTP remote site. Again, this is only odd because I haven't come across their format before. Maybe other people here have seen it or use it and will hopefully chime in. Also, the fact that you get the message saying that Dreamweaver connected to your remote site successfully, supports your hosts' advice.

However, the fact remains that for each file that you are trying to upload to your remote server, you are getting an error message, which says:

Unable to create remote folder /(folder/filename.here). Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem. Make sure you have proper authorization on the server and the server is properly configured.

- so the issue is about being denied access and permissions.

This simply suggests to me that either your FTP details are wrong (somehow - despite the success message) or that your hosts are denying you access for some reason, - maybe you have exceeded your site capacity quota, or maybe you need to renew your hosting plan.

Could you also please let me know who your hosting service* is? There may be some specific information available for their set-up. I don't want you to feel as if you have to divulge anything you don't want to, but that info as well as your domain name* might help take us forward a bit.

Please could you also open the site in Dreamweaver, and at the top of the Files Panel, click on the second drop-down list and select 'Remote View', and tell me what happens*, and what you see*?

If you could possible answer the questions marked with a * , it would really help.

The second thing you could do is to refer this thread to your domain hosts (sendthem a link to showthread.php?t=11721 ) and also email them again (so you get a written reply) and ask them once more for the FTP details (FTP Host, Host Directory, Login and Password) and perhaps even attach the remote info screen shot that I have attached in a zip file.

This may be something that your hosting providers will need to be more pro-active with, regarding the access/permissions error messages.

I'm sorry if any of this sounds impertinent, but I'd rather be over-curious than risk missing something out. Someone may chip in with the obvious question or answer in the meantime, which usually happens after I have posted at length and displayed my lack of understanding.

It may be that - failing more help from your providers - the WA Guys might open a ticket for you. But please post back with whatever answers* you can.

Cheers Michael,

Attached Files
remote.zip

neilo

Just noticed a couple of extra options you can try - have never used them, and didn't notice them before. In remote info, click on 'Server Compatibility' and experiment with the checkboxes.

See attached image.

michaelgreen252387183

connection issues

thanks neilo, im a noob.lol
the answers to your questions
using dreamweaver cs4 and operating on vista
host= hostgator.com and my site= spotgrabber.com
so far my test feature in dreamweavers site definitions return successful but im thinking i may be uploading powerstore3 files incorrectly and would really like your insite on this especially.
so heres my method...please advise becuase im lost on the installation starting point..thanks

i use winzip to recieve my zip files
after downloading ps3 from wa i then send it to my desktop.
i define a site in dreamweaver which i create root folder and image folder
then i open ps3 folder on desktop..it contains all folders and it still says powerstorezipx
i highlight all folders and files and then with my dreamweaver files panel open i drop all of them under my root folder..it takes a while to copy all files and then it completes
then i hit connect button in files panel and then select put and it askes if i want to put entire site..i choose yes and thats when it starts reading off all the errors

can you tell me the best way to get all the files in to the files panel..
wnen i add the ps3 folder into another folder and define it as my root folder only the main pw3 file is present in window in its zipx format
was i supposed to extract the file from winzip window..
or anything else you can point out....thanks neilo

i.edwards384429

update

Hi

hope I'm not missing the point but this is what I would do.

open IE, firefox etc and in the address bar type

ftp.yoursite.com (or uk or eu - whatever)

put in your user name and password.

If this logs you in then in the menu bar select page --- open in windows explorer.

This will then open your PC with the ftp directory listed.

You can then copy, drag do what ever you want to your files.

If it works then your issue is with Dreamweaver if it does not then your issue is with permissions on your server.

Either way post back and we'll all try to help

HTH

Ian

michaelgreen252387183

ftp problems

thx for the help..

ok i followed the steps, typed in my web address bar..ftp.spotgrabber.com and did not see any menus to log in it just had this

FTP root at ftp.spotgrabber.com
To view this FTP site in Windows Explorer, click Page, and then click Open FTP Site in Windows Explorer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/15/2009 08:28PM Directory .
12/15/2009 08:28PM Directory ..
12/15/2009 08:28PM Directory pub

so i then open in windows explorer and it has an empty folder that says pub

is this folder the one that i was looking for and also i never encountered any page which requested my login or password..does this mean anything to you..? thanks in advance

it seems like im installing the ps3 files incorrectly into dreaweaver..any idea what is the correct approach..am i supposed to add the ps3 file to an already defined site with an empty localroot folder and image folder defined and then drop all the powerstore files and folders into the files panel with the site open or is there a better approach...thanks again

i.edwards384429

update

Hi

this is somewhat weird, only thing I can suggest is either wait for tech to open a support ticket and give them access to your PC so they can check or if you want you can privatlely email me the ftp username, password, domain name etc and I'll try it from my system.

cheers

Ian

neilo

Cheers Michael,

Many thanks for posting back the details. It makes it much easier to follow this through.

Ah! Yes, the zipped archive needs to be unzipped (The files and folders extracted) to a folder that you can then use as your site root folder.

How these are extracted depends on whether you are using winzip, winrar, just the inbuilt Vista extractor or some other software - although essentially they are much the same!

To start, lets assume that you are starting with a zip file on your desktop called PowerStore300.zip

The method for Winzip (If I remember correctly) is

1. (a) Double-click it, select 'Extract' from the toolbar or from the 'Actions' menu, then navigate to and select a folder to extract the files to, or (b) (Easiest way) Right click the downloaded 'PowerStore300.zip' file and select Winzip > then 'Extract to Folder(perhaps some path to Desktop) PowerStore300'
2. You will then see an activity window saying, 'Processing File: PowerStore300.zip'
3. You will now have a normal (properly extracted) PowerStore300 folder on your desktop.
4. You can choose to leave it there for the purposes of uploading to your remote server, or you can put it somewhere permanent - perhaps in a 'Sites' folder in your documents folder. Either way, wherever you have it will need to be the location entered as the local root directory in your DreamWeaver Site definition.

If you don't have Winzip or Winrar installed:

The method for Vista's inbuilt extractor is:

1. Double click the PowerStore300.zip file on your desk top.
2. It will look pretty much like an ordinary folder, except on the toolbar there is an option 'Extract aff files'
3. Click on 'Extract all files'. An options window called 'Extract Compressed (Zipped) Folders' will open and suggest a path and folder to extract the files to. This is usually a folder in the same place your zipped file is, and with the same name (but without the '.zip')
4. Just accept that location for now (on your desktop) and click the 'Extract' button at the bottom of the options window.
5. You will see a progress bar saying it is Copying 1,496 items (11.9MB).
6. You will now have a normal (properly extracted) PowerStore300 folder on your desktop.
7. You can choose to leave it there for the purposes of uploading to your remote server, or you can put it somewhere permanent - perhaps in a 'Sites' folder in your documents folder. Either way, wherever you have it will need to be the location entered as the local root directory in your DreamWeaver Site definition.

And then go back to my post [#2 - Yesterday 10:32 PM] and work through from there. I think this is what will make the difference, or at least carry us forward a bit! I think my last instructions will make a bit more sense to you now with the files extracted!

Everyone's a noob at most stuff, so take your time and ask whatever questions you need to till we get this sorted.

(Edit): I'd like the opportunity to carry on working through this with you if I may.

Cheers

neilo

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...