close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

problems uploading via dreamweaver ftp

Thread began 3/29/2010 1:32 pm by michaelgreen252387183 | Last modified 4/09/2010 7:21 am by michaelgreen252387183 | 20665 views | 16 replies

neilo

Hiya Michael,

That's right, you don't need a local testing server, you just need to get the folders and files to your remote site.

I think I'm missing something about the process though, because I haven't seen things done quite this way before. Sorry to be a bit slow picking it up, but the first bit I can't quite get to grips with is where you say you 'highlight all powerstore files on desktop and drag and drop into my dreamweaver files panel window'. It's just that I've never done that, and when I try to do that here to test it out, I can't do it. The only way that I can drag files or folders in to Dreamweaver's Files panel, is if I open that folder in Adobe Bridge, select the files and folders and then drag them in. It is maybe just a lack of experience on my part.

So for that bit, please could you tell me what version of Dreamweaver you are using*, and what operating system is on your computer*?

The main point I would like to mention about that bit, is that if you have set up your site definition in Dreamweaver properly, so that in Local Root folder points to the directory that holds all the PowerStore files and folders, then they will all appear in your Local Files panel already, without having to drag any files in to it. When you have defined your local and remote site, do you not see the files and folders in your Local Files panel in Dreamweaver* (without any dragging)?

The second bit that is strange for me (just because it is outside of my experience) is the settings that your domain hosts have given you for your FTP remote site. Again, this is only odd because I haven't come across their format before. Maybe other people here have seen it or use it and will hopefully chime in. Also, the fact that you get the message saying that Dreamweaver connected to your remote site successfully, supports your hosts' advice.

However, the fact remains that for each file that you are trying to upload to your remote server, you are getting an error message, which says:

Unable to create remote folder /(folder/filename.here). Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem. Make sure you have proper authorization on the server and the server is properly configured.

- so the issue is about being denied access and permissions.

This simply suggests to me that either your FTP details are wrong (somehow - despite the success message) or that your hosts are denying you access for some reason, - maybe you have exceeded your site capacity quota, or maybe you need to renew your hosting plan.

Could you also please let me know who your hosting service* is? There may be some specific information available for their set-up. I don't want you to feel as if you have to divulge anything you don't want to, but that info as well as your domain name* might help take us forward a bit.

Please could you also open the site in Dreamweaver, and at the top of the Files Panel, click on the second drop-down list and select 'Remote View', and tell me what happens*, and what you see*?

If you could possible answer the questions marked with a * , it would really help.

The second thing you could do is to refer this thread to your domain hosts (sendthem a link to showthread.php?t=11721 ) and also email them again (so you get a written reply) and ask them once more for the FTP details (FTP Host, Host Directory, Login and Password) and perhaps even attach the remote info screen shot that I have attached in a zip file.

This may be something that your hosting providers will need to be more pro-active with, regarding the access/permissions error messages.

I'm sorry if any of this sounds impertinent, but I'd rather be over-curious than risk missing something out. Someone may chip in with the obvious question or answer in the meantime, which usually happens after I have posted at length and displayed my lack of understanding.

It may be that - failing more help from your providers - the WA Guys might open a ticket for you. But please post back with whatever answers* you can.

Cheers Michael,

Attached Files
remote.zip

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...