close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Activation Issues

Thread began 2/19/2010 7:55 am by james57944 | Last modified 2/22/2010 10:06 am by james57944 | 1829 views | 5 replies |

james57944

Activation Issues

Every time I open eCart on my laptop it asks for the license # then tells me that the # of activations is exceeded. So I login and flush the activations, re enter the license #, and go.

I have ecart installed on my desktop and laptop (it says I can have 2 installations, right?)

When I flush the licenses, it never asks me for activation again on my desktop. In theory it should.
Only when I start it up on my laptop.

It's a real pain to have to go through this process everytime I want to use ecart on my laptop.

Any ideas?

Jim

Sign in to reply to this post

codamedia

I'm not sure if this is your problem or not, but I thought I would throw it in here - just in case.

Does your laptop connect with Wireless, network cable, or both?
I believe activation is based on MAC address, and your wireless and network cable would have two different MAC addresses. So - if you activated the WebAssist products when connected by wireless and then you try to use it when connected by Cable it thinks it's a new machine and won't authenticate.

If I'm am completely wrong about that I'll let a Web Assist tech correct me :) But I recall having this sort of problem a few years back, and I'm sure that's what I figured out.

Eric Mittman

The assessment about this issue is correct. If you are continually being asked to activate it is likely due to a changing MAC address value. The only way to get around this is to make sure you are working with the same connection whenever you attempt to use the tools. If the MAC is changing due to a VPN or something like that then even using the same connection will not resolve this problem.

james57944

That's a drag

That really makes license management a royal pain!

Especially for people like me who work from lots of different locations (think onsite with clients, or in a library or coffee shop via wireless).

Can't it just work off current activations & license # and not your mac address?

There's gotta be a better way

Jim

codamedia

Jim,

Just to clarify, MAC address is not IP Address. The Mac Address is fixed to the computer and does not depend on where you connect to the internet. It only depends on "which connection" you use - Wireless or Hard Wired.

I will admit it is a bit of a pain if you always connect "both ways" at various times. I would like to see Web Assist silently increase the "activation limit to 3". That would be a very quick fix for this as that would not need any new programming on their end.

james57944

I under stand that.

If I connect through my router at home, I'm going to show a different mac address than hard wired in my office, VPN, 3g, or a coffee shop.

There is no real way around this other than to reactivate every time I want to use ecart, or other extension??

3 activations wouldn't fix this either, only make it work a little longer before I have to reactivate.

uggh!

I'm suprised I haven't seen more about this.

Weird that my desktop doesn't need reactivation after clearing them in my profile, only the laptop.

JIm

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...