close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Recreating Website but want to keep DB's...

Thread began 1/27/2010 12:08 pm by elevy388997 | Last modified 2/03/2010 8:02 pm by Dani Chankhour | 2678 views | 9 replies |

elevy388997Beta Tester

Recreating Website but want to keep DB's...

I also posted this in the Dreamweaver section but i guess it can go here too...

Hello,

I had a website made awhile ago and I believe it was done using .aspx and now that I have some experience I want to recreate it myself. I can do all the graphics and setup, as I am just keeping the information, but doing a new interface. I want to keep the Databases by either transferring them over, or just recreating them exactly the same. I need to keep login (username/password), order history, and a couple other things.

I need to be able to have a user register, log-in, save info (address, credit card, etc), submit a design, and see order history.

With the design, once it is submitted it has to go to a part in their account that is "Submitted but not looked at", then on my account i want to see it under the same thing, then when I look at it and make the appropriate comments and quotes, it goes into "in Progress" on both of ours, then once they agree to everything and pay through the website with the information they saves when they registered, the order goes to "Paid but not completed", then when completed, put into "completed"....complicated.

If you need more clarification, I would be happy to explain more as this needs to work flawlessly.

I have the whole extension library so implemented any of the tools would be awesome, either because I have to, or for added effect such as dynamic charts to see when I get the most orders and such...anything that can be added to increase the efficiency and effectiveness.

Also, if I should get any other packages such as the registration php solution or anything... that will be fine as long as it speeds up or makes this process easier. But i figured I could make those packages through the extension manager.

This website is my business and needs this remodel..

Sign in to reply to this post

Dani Chankhour

It seems that you need to split your site to a Front End and a Back End.

On the front end you have users registering and submitting designs.
On the back end you update the users status.

As far as the database, i'm not sure how you could transfer the data to a MySql Database.

I'm still not clear on what you want happen on the front end pages. But it looks like you could use Security Assist to build your user registration, profile, login and logout pages. Then you could use Form Builder and DataAssist to build the page to submit your design.

On the Back end, you will run DataAssist to create, your update and results pages for the users and the designs.

I'm not sure if i'm on the right track with, but if this does not sound correct, please explain a little more on what would you like to happen.

elevy388997Beta Tester

Thanks for the reply.

Let me try to clear things up.

The easy one to understand is the registration, login and profile. Here is an example of the design thing.

Lets say you want to submit a design to be digitized (turned into a format an embroidery machine can read). You log-in and it takes you to a specific page that has a few tables shown: Get a Quote, Quote in Progress and Completed Quotes.

So you fill out the "Get a Quote" section, typing in a description of the design, when you need it by, an attachment of the design and other items such as name, email, phone will be also sent...but since that stuff is saved in the profile, the user doesn't have to put it in.

Then I get an email with the information and i log into my account on my website. It also takes me to the main page with all the tables. But now in my "Quotes in Progress" I see your quote. So I click on it to only show your information since there could be a handful of quotes at any time. I see your name, email, phone etc along with an attachment of the design and your description you typed. Now I "appraise" it and in a text box for a price, I type in the price it would cost for me to digitize it. Then I click "save" and now YOU get an email.

So you log back into your account and see MY information I typed and if you accept you click PAY NOW, pay using credit card, paypal etc. Then that quote goes to "Completed Quotes" in YOUR account. Then I get an email I received payment, I do the job, then upload the new file. It gets sent to you and goes into MY "completed Quotes" history.

Hopefully this didn't confuse you more.

Dani Chankhour

All the features you have listed could be done using a combination of our extensions.
I think you should take this project one step at a time, so you might want to finish the user registration and then work on the design submission and then start working on the admin section, and if you have more specific question, we should be able to help you.

I will describe in general what extension you need to use for each of the feature:

1. user registration -> Security Assist
2. Design Submission -> DataAssist, Digital File Pro, and Universal Email
3. In the Back end, you will use DataAssist to create the admin pages. So it will create a result page of all the designs submitted and an update page to make update and then you will use Universal Email to send out emails to users.
4. on the front pages, for the check out, you could use eCart to create your check out pages.

There is a lot of small details that i probably did not cover, but this should help get started.

elevy388997Beta Tester

A+, thank you, this is just what I needed. Now I will follow the support resources and such and get this show on the road.

For clarification: Do I have to have the graphical pages done first? I am dying to get my hands wet with the extensions...

Dani Chankhour

Yeah, and since you are going to use DataAssist and SecurityAssist, you might want to create a template, because those extensions are able to create the pages based on a template.

elevy388997Beta Tester

Create a template as in a css page that matches all the pages? I have been turning the site into a Photoshop image so I can slice it and use the parts for the css sculptor... is this the correct way of doing it?

Dani Chankhour

Yeah, that would work. Basically when you create your sculptor page, you could set the background image of the different areas from the sliced images.

Once you have your sculptor page, i recommend to create a template from it so you can create the rest of the pages based on that template, so your site is consistent. You could also create a SiteAssist Pro Template.

here is a link that talks a little about templates:

dreamweaver_template.asp

You could also read this PDF on how to create a SiteAssist pro template from a sculptor page:

siteassist/

and click on the How Tos tab.

elevy388997Beta Tester

I think this will be PHP... in creating the CSS template for the site, I want to make sure I can easily change the more permanent items on the page, such as the Logo (for holidays), the header and footer (add/subtract items), and some banner areas that need to appear on every page.

I will create the CSS sculpture page from the photoshop image slices, then create a template for SiteAssist Pro. I am guessing that I will use the CSS menu writer to create the menu, then use... an... iFrame on each page that links to the CSS menu? I am a bit iffy on this part as that means I will have an iframe for the Logo, header, footer, banner area 1, 2,3 etc..How should I go about this?

Also, if possible, I want the items (header, footer, logo etc) to show up as I am in dreamweaver. I don't want to see a gray block that is linking to another file (as iFrames do). Sorry, I am new to using the "best methods", as before I just dealt with iFrames and such...it isn't good enough any more.

A side note, how can I keep signed into WA.com? It logs me out every 30 mins or something.

Thanks!

I also attached a screen shot of the page I am trying to get into the CSS Sculptor.

Dani Chankhour

I'm not sure why you would want to use iFrames for those regions, i would suggest just creating Template regions and place the menu and footer in those regions. This way Dreamweaver will render the design correctly.

So once you have your sculptor page, create the different regions (header, menu, content and footer) and create the template and then apply CSS Menu writer to the template directly. And if you are going to use SiteAssist Pro, you could use SiteAssist Pro as your starting point, because SiteAssist Pro will create the Template and different regions you needs (header, content and footer) and you could more regions if you wanted. And the menu that is created from SiteAssist Pro you could customize with CSS Menu Writer.

In regard to the WebAssist login, that is a security feature and I'm not sure if there is a way around it.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...