close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Master Detail Documentation

Thread began 1/13/2010 12:50 pm by Brad Lawryk | Last modified 1/15/2010 10:24 am by Jason Byrnes | 3348 views | 7 replies |

Brad Lawryk

Master Detail Documentation

I searched for documentation on this but couldn't find any ....

Is there any documentation on how to create MAster Detail recordsets with Data Assist?

Thanks

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

When you run the DataAssist wizard, it creates a master / detail pages set using the results page and the detail page. It doesn't use any behavioors that are specific to DataAssist however.

To create the master page:
1) Create a recordset, the recordset will not have any filtering on it.

2) Add a table to the page, for simplicity sake, lets make it 1 column with 1 rows

3) from the bindings panel, drag the name column from tyour recordset to the table cell.

4) With the name in the cell highlited, go to the Prop[erties panel and clic kthe folder Icon next to link. Select the detail page, then click the Prameters button to add a URL parameter. Set the name to "ID" (without quotes) click the lightning bolt next to value and select the ID column from the recordset.

5) After the link is created, in the Tag selector, select the tables TR tag, then in the Server Behaviors panel, clic kthe plus button and select Repeat Region. from the Select list, select the recordset name and set it to show all records.

Now create the detail page:
1) Create a recordset, from the filtering options, set it to filter the ID column on the ID Querystring Parameter.

2) Then create the record display, add a table, set it to be 2 column by however many rows are in your recordset.

3) In the Right Coluimn, add the recordset bindings, In the Left column type the labels for the corresponding recordset column names.

You should examine a DataAssist Results and detail page to get a visual example of what I am describing.

Brad Lawryk

Thanks Jason,

But thats not exactly what I was getting at. I know how to do all that stuff.

Basically with the ADDT and old InterAKT Kollection I could create in my administration say a Table and input/edit and delete records of say dogs in this case. Much like your Results page now. This is fine.

But with ADDT I was able to add another button to add photos for each dog into another table using the dog id as a common field.

Maybe parent/child is a better way to describe what I was needing. I guess master/detail forms is what I needed, not pages. Sorry ... I didn't describe that right.

Brad

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

are you putting the image form on the detail page?

On the detail page, the ID is passed in as a querystring variable.

In the form you add to the detail page, create a hidden form element to capture this querytring variable value.

When the form is submitted to upload the file, store the image name in one column, and relate it to the dog by the value stored in the hidden form element.

Brad Lawryk

I don't think I am explaining myself correctly .... anyways, thanks for your attention to this. I'll figure out another way to do it.

Much appreciated.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

No I think I understand what you are trying to do, you are trying to add information to a linked table and relate it to the master table via the primary key field.

It can be done on the results page or the detail page. On the results page, it is just a matter of adding a hidden form field that captures the Primary Key value for the existing record to pass it to the linked table.

Mustapha307688

Master Detail

Hi Jason

I just started using data assist extension and the most important questions is the Master Detail page creation. In a relational Db like mysql the tables are already link via primary keys ect. Why do one have to create a link to a detail page ? To display detail on result pages.

I create my own templates in dreamweaver ? How do I use dataAssist to work with my template. I can create all the page myself using my template but data assist also creates pages with css in it already and want all of this in my template and positioned my page
accordingly.

Many thx
M.AJam

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

The results page created by data assist shows a listing of all of the records in your table. The Detail page allows you to view one single record.

On the first page of the DataAssist Wizard, you can select the template that should be used and select the editable region that the information should be shown in.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...