close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Updating based on results from recordset

Thread began 1/07/2010 9:05 am by david.barrack304604 | Last modified 1/12/2010 5:26 pm by Jimmy Wu | 1104 views | 3 replies |

david.barrack304604

Updating based on results from recordset

I'm a bit stuck and not sure I'm approaching the problem correctly. I have a page that displays a recordset. The recordset has a number of joins and subselects and displays a count for each row. I would like to now update a table based on the contents of the recordset. So this is a multi-record update to a table based on all of the records returned by the recordset. I read the WA documentation about multi-record updates, but from what I read this applies to text entry fields only. I didn't see a way to use the multi-record update server behavior to update all records based on the recordset and was confused by the need to specify a number of iterations if the number of records is unknown. Help!

Ideally, I would have the page update the table with results from the recordset upon page load and not even show the user anything but I'm not seeing a way to do that easily.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jimmy Wu

I'm not sure what you mean by a multi record update based on all the records returned in a recordset. Could you please clarify what you are trying to accomplish? Maybe a concrete example would help with clarification.

david.barrack304604

So on a reservation page a user assigns guests to rooms. To calculate room rates per guest a count is needed of the number of guests residing in each room. The reservation page gathers all entry info and then calls another page to calculate rates. It's the calculate page that's the issue. This page has a recordset that provides a listing of all guests in a particular reservation and the total number of guests within each guests room. I then used the Data Assist update multiple record update server behavior to update all guests records with a count that is a column in the recordset. I followed the WA instructions to create a repeating region and then add the data assist update record (multiple) server behavior. Does that make sense?

Jimmy Wu

Which part are you getting stuck on?

"I didn't see a way to use the multi-record update server behavior to update all records based on the recordset and was confused by the need to specify a number of iterations if the number of records is unknown."

You don't need ot specify the number of iterations, when you create your repeat region you just select All records.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...