close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

table issues using powercms

Thread began 12/07/2009 5:33 am by secure377208 | Last modified 12/08/2009 2:33 pm by Jason Byrnes | 2812 views | 8 replies |

secure377208

table issues using powercms

Hi all,
I am having issues with powercms and tables, I have a page which my client will update which uses tables to format his information, the easiest way to advise him to do this is to simply copy the pre-created table and paste it in again to add another blank table to insert his info so it all formats the same, however what should be simple isnt, in firefox, when selecting the table there is no copy function available either from a right click or the menu, if we try to use IE8 all the menus are screwed up by refusing to float to the front, an apparently known but not fixed issue.

As it is without being able to perform this simple copy and paste function for the tables the whole system becomes useless to the client.

If someone could advise on a simple workaround or fix for these issues it would be appreciated as it would not be acceptible to have to ask the client to use different browsers to perform different functions within the editor.

I did read somewhere that an update to powercms is on the cards which uses a different editor which is likely to overcome this issues, do we know when this will be released as these limitations are a serious problem with regard to it being suitable as a content management system.

Thanks in advance

Sign in to reply to this post

neilo

Not sure why you're getting that problem, - I use Ctrl+C to copy the table, and Ctrl+V to paste it. I'm not getting a problem in any browser.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

To copy the table, click the Source control button in the toolbar, select the table code.

When pasting the table, you should also be in source view so you can manipulate the HTML source code.

secure377208

table issue

Hi all,
I assume you arent using firefox 3.5.5 if you are able to copy and paste, using 3.5.5 in windows 7 I do not have the copy paste facities for tables, text etc yes I can copy and paste text but I need it for the tables for this client, I cannot access it by right click its greyed out and ctrl c etc doesnt work either. I suspect it is something to do with security settings on firefox but cannot see anything relevent in firefox menus. This may be a firefox issue but the IE menu issue needs to be addressed.

With IE8 even in compatibility mode while I have copy and paste functionality any right click on the table to access table menus for merge insert etc cannot be seen or accessed properly due to the sub menu being covered by the top level menu, when is this going to be fixed!!

I have to say I am totally gobsmacked by the suggestion that the editing should be done in source mode, you cannot seriously expect me to ask a client to try to decipher all the coding to ascertain where the section starts and ends for the table, I know web designers who would have an issue with that let alone an end user who has paid good money for a simple to use Content Management Solution.

Cmon guys, take some pride in your work, you surely cannot be happy with the state that you have left this package in and the issues you have left your clients to have to deal with.

Are we going to get a fix for this issue or not? (teaching our clients the ins and outs of html source code because your menu doesnt work doesnt count as an answer!)

neilo

Hiya Secure,

Sorry you're still having problems. I think it must me a Windows 7 problem, in that case.

I use FireFox 3.5.5 on Vista, and IE8 on Vista.

In IE8, I can just select (when the cursor hovers and changes to the 'select' cursor) and Ctrl+C Ctrl+V.

In Firefox, it is not so apparent (you don't get a 'select' cursor) - I have to click the mouse in a free space before or after the table, and drag it over and past the table to another free space in order to select it.

copy_table/

Hopefully someone with Windows 7 might have some advice on this.

Neil Beadle

I just tested this on the PowerCMS demo in Windows 7 using Firefox 3.5.5 and was able to copy and paste the table - bit it isn't perfect.

There seem to be two issues at play here. First, you need to make sure you are selecting all the cells in the table, not the table itself. For some reason, the copying function is not enabling when selecting the table. So, click and drag from the bottom right cell to the top left cell and you should see a blue border around all cells.

Press Ctrl (Cmd) + C to copy this to the clipboard and Press Ctrl (Cmd) + V to paste.

The table should be pasted where your cursor was placed, but for some reason the borders are not displaying. I discovered if you switch to Source and then back to Design views, the borders appear. Also, if you press Ctrl + Z (Undo) and then Ctrl + Y (Redo), the table reinserts with borders visible as well.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

There will be an update to PowerCMS coming out that will upgrade the version of the FCKEditor to version 2.6.5. We do not have a release date for the update at this time, all I can say is that is is planned.

I have tested the behavior of the CKEditor demo site at:
demo

and a similar issue exists, so this appears to be a problem inherent in the FCKEditor. The work around that Neil posted in his reply of selecting all of the cells, then copying and pasting the table still gives the same result of needing to toggle Source code on then off to see the formatting.

gruant2000381341

Don't hold your breath

I posted about problems with tables back on 10/2, and they are still saying an update is coming (but can't give a date).
showthread.php?t=5074

I am no computer whiz by any stretch of the imagination. But if I offer some software that's big selling point is...rebrand it so you can offer it to your clients. It would be awfully great if that client ( who does not know anything about code or they would do it themself ) could use it without the need for secret keystrokes to get something to work. Hit backspace, Capital L, esc, esc, F11, hold your finger to your right eyeball, then enter.

It's been 2 months and 1 week since I posted the initial problems. Since that date...you have released Gallery, the new html editor, the database for ecommerce and search Boss. Maybe take a moment to fix a few issues before releasing new stuff?

Not trying to be bitter, but hard not to be at this point.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

gruant,

In the thread that you have posted to, the problem you are experiencing is one that we cannot reproduce. Without being able to reproduce the issue, it is next to impossible to come up with a fix. We are working on it, but we need to be able to faithfully reproduce the issue in order to troubleshoot it.

when the update is released we hope address your issue as well as others that have been reported including simplifying the installation process.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...