close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Increase in non productive posts

Thread began 10/04/2009 7:32 pm by Office Guy-172461 | Last modified 10/05/2009 7:10 am by Ray Borduin | 1367 views | 4 replies |

Office Guy-172461

Increase in non productive posts

At the risk of sounding like a whiner myself, we seem to be spending a lot more time dealing with posters with a chip on their shoulder or an axe to grind. This has greatly affected my willingness to risk getting involved with posters. I've actually resorted to making a list of people to avoid, broken down into:

Rude
Whiners
Waste of time (those that appear to be asking people to write their site for them instead of trying to learn how to do it themselves)

This helps me avoid getting into useless debates. I was greatly encouraged when Ray deleted a post that I thought was way out of line. At times it's seems that we have been invaded by people that just want to derail the community.

I don't know what the answer is, but I think some plan should be formulated before it gets totally out of hand. Maybe an image can be created with the WA logo and something like "Post outside forum guidelines", that can be use to replace the text of offensive posts. That would act like a place holder so it wouldn't require a lot of explanation and maybe prevent the poster from feeling that they were being singled out.

Any ideas?

BTW thanks to Dave Buchholz for taking over for me in the "Web Assist not available to IE6 users" debate with Reynold. It was getting harder and harder for me to resist saying something unprofessional. :)

Sign in to reply to this post

anonymous

Yes... it does seem there are some that come on these boards and just want to spew negativity.

I would be very much in favor in just getting rid of Reynold's account, altogether!

That kind of "tag-a-long" stone throwing that he does when it appears that he doesn't even own any of these extensions is a complete waste of all of our times.

But, I will try to remain positive.

Dave BuchholzBeta Tester

It's a fine line WA have to tread between keeping the forum as a place for healthy debate and not encouraging trolls and flamers. The likes of Reynold will appear from time to time because of the anonymity the internet offers and that is a sad fact of life I am afraid.

One thing I would say is that I can understand some new users frustrations as WA do a fantastic job of marketing their products but they do gloss over the need for programming experience do anything other than the basics with the wizards, I have mentioned this in conversations with Michael Leske, Joe Lowery and Mark Fletcher in the past, and to be able to debug when things go wrong.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

It was quite difficult trying to hold a reasonable conversation with Reynold. I think banning him would only encourage him to spew his negativity elsewhere where I might not be able to respond or control it, so I figure better to let him release his anger here in a somewhat controlled environment.

He seems to have taken every opportunity to complain about even the slightest detail where he can find it. In some regards it is constructive to point out where we could improve, and some of his points are resonable, but his tone and continuation of posts certainly crossed a line on several occasions where they became completely non-constructive. It is hard to imagine how he could feel rewarded enough to continue to put the effort he has into his posts.

My feeling is that he will just go away after a couple of days if he is properly responded to, short and sweet, and subsuquently ignored. He is looking for a rise, trying to make us stoop to his level so that he can point at it and say "see you are just as bad as me"... we just need to be careful not to give him that ammunition and he will leave unable to get what he set out for.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Ray BorduinWebAssist

People that don't really want help are usually pretty easy to identify. My suggestion would be to avoid posting to those people entirely. We can't help those who aren't interested in listening to it, and sometimes responding to them only eggs them on.

We really appreciate all of the posts by the community experts. We have found it to be a very successful program, so I hope we don't let a few rogue posters succeed in their goal of discouraging the helpful posts you all provide.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...