close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Users getting a 404 page when trying to login

Thread began 5/06/2021 3:33 am by Mags | Last modified 5/07/2021 9:05 am by Ray Borduin | 321 views | 5 replies |

Mags

Users getting a 404 page when trying to login

Hi Ray, some users on one of our clients' sites are having problems logging in and are reporting getting the 404 page. It's only affecting some users and seems to happen particularly if they click on a link in an email which goes to a protected page on the site, but has also been reported by some users when they're on the site and click the login link there. The obvious explanation would be that it's a local issue since it doesn't happen to everyone, but the fact that it seems to be affecting quite a few people does make me wonder if there's some other explanation.

I asked the client to follow up with one particular user to get exact details of what was happening, and got the following response:

User received an email with a 'register here' hyperlink, which goes to a protected page on the site. Clicks the link, but is taken to the 404 page - he doesn't even get as far as the login page.

Browsers used: Microsoft edge but also tried Google Chrome and it is the same

Which email system are you using, and is this via your browser or do you have the email application on your computer? Microsoft Exchange

If you open your browser and copy and paste the link (don’t click on it) into your browser will it let you access the page? No

I asked him to try it in a private window and this worked (although I have had to reset his password for him)

He has since tried it again normally (without a private window) and it still won’t work

Do you have any ideas what's happening? I can give you links and FTP access.

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I'd need to reproduce the issue. Can you send me the email with the link that goes to the 404 error? 404 means page not found, so it is something wrong with the link itself.

In order to fix any issue, you need to be able to reproduce it. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to test if you have fixed it even if you did try to do something. At this stage, when a problem is first reported, you need to work on doing whatever is necessary to reproduce the problem. If you follow the same steps as the user, then you should get the same result.

Once you can send me steps to reproduce, then I'll be able to get it resolved for you, but I really need to see it first to diagnose the cause and test to make sure I've fixed it.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Mags

That's the problem, I can't reproduce it. It works fine for me and also for our client, but random other users say it doesn't work. It does appear to be a cookie or cache problem because I've now heard that this particular user cleared their cookies and cache and it then worked for them. I've put the details in the PM section if you want to take a look and see if it works for you.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

It might be something with their email client messing with the link. A 404 page means a bad link. I'd have to see the bad link to see what is wrong with it. This link seems to work, so maybe something is messing with the link before it gets clicked.

Do you have someone that can reproduce it that is willing to do a screen share to debug it? One way or another I'm going to have to see the problem to fix it.

Mags

I did suggest to my client that I could do a screenshare with someone so that I can see exactly what's going on, but no luck so far. It is all pointing to local issues though - so many people just don't know how to clear their cache and cookies for a particular site. I might actually put some instructions on the client's website on how to do this!

Ray BorduinWebAssist

OK. If you get someone that can reproduce it, let me know and I'll do screen sharing to debug and fix the issue.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...