close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

The last 12 months of WebAssist

Thread began 9/15/2009 10:51 am by Brad Lawryk | Last modified 9/25/2009 7:24 am by Ray Borduin | 4019 views | 12 replies |

Brad Lawryk

The last 12 months of WebAssist

I bought my first set of extensions 9 months ago and have since bought almost all of them.

WebAssist states it averages 6 new products a year. I can remember 1 .... Sculptor 3 recently. And that's not even a new product, but merely a minor update.

Anyone able to list any new extensions in the last year? Just trying to do the math as if I had the subscription for the past year would it have been worth it.

So far I can tell I would have paid $300 for a $50 upgrade on Sculptor that I wouldn't even get to keep anyways.

So just curious as to what new extensions WA has put out in the last 12 months. According to the announcement forum the sculptor is the first since March when the forum started.

Thanks.

Sign in to reply to this post

anonymous

I know that CSS Form Builder was just released about a month ago, as I purchased it. It also included an updated Validation Toolkit extension.

Digital File Pro 2 was completely new from the DFP 1 (it contained a lot more features).

CSS Sculptor 3 maybe minor in some aspects but it did add new functions for div and spry placements and the new color picker were more than just compatibility updates.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Cheers,

Brian

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Menu Writer v2 was released, Jeoffry Zeldman's web standards advisor, Surveyor, Sitescribe, and an update to Site Import were also done... Pro Maps for google was updated, Digital File Pro v2, CSS Form Builder. We did the database starter kit and several other paid for training pieces. Some template and menu designs... we actually updated CSS Sculptor twice in the past 12 months if you include this one just released.

Those are off the top of my head. We are constantly working on updating and expanding our product line and expect 8-12 major extension updates or new products per year.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Brad Lawryk

Ah yes, forgot about digital File Pro ..... bought the upgrade and havn't been able to use it since. Way to complicated - just keep going back to the Adobe Developers Toolkit. But thats another issue.

Ok thats 2 ...... upgrades to both cost $100 inclusive. So either is a lot of new stuff comin in the next couple months to make up that 6 product average - or its just another number pulled out of a hat.

Think about it, the only practical use of the subscription is to get a monthly and only use it when a new product comes out or you want to test one before purchasing. To stay on the subscription is just plain throwing money away. Would have saved money on not buying Digital File 2 as well.

I would have gladly paid the $19 to try Site Assist before I paid for that extension. That in reality is the only practical use of the subscriptions. A try before you buy avenue.

Brad Lawryk

Thanks for the list, Ray.

But seriously .. out of those only File Upload and Sculptor really mount to anything. Judging by the posts in the forums on the other ones - no one even uses them.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

My suggestion to you would be to continue purchasing updates and see how much money you spend over the next year. See if it would have made sense to you to subscribe or if it makes sense to continue purchasing only those extensions that interest you.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

The subscription model isn't for everyone. If it isn't for you, then ignore it and continue purchasing extensions as you used to.

Some users are complaining they were idiots for buying before the subscription model came out. You think you would have to be an idiot to subscribe and not purchase. Everyone is entitled to make their own judgment on what is right for them and go with that route. In my opinion neither one are idiots because they both got great software at a great deal.

For some people it makes perfect sense and saves them money. Those are the people that should sign up for the program.

Brad Lawryk

Originally Said By: Brad Lawryk
  Think about it, the only practical use of the subscription is to get a monthly and only use it when a new product comes out or you want to test one before purchasing. To stay on the subscription is just plain throwing money away. Would have saved money on not buying Digital File 2 as well.

I would have gladly paid the $19 to try Site Assist before I paid for that extension. That in reality is the only practical use of the subscriptions. A try before you buy avenue.  

Now I'm told that its not a one time charge for activation like the site says. So I take it back ... its not even good for that anymore. Which is too bad. Which is too bad since I was seriously thinking on going that route as I am interested in trying out Sculptor 3 and the Registration one before buying.

Oh well ......

Ray BorduinWebAssist

We hope to add a trial period in the future to account for that case. The subscription is really for someone that wants access to all of our extensions but doesn't have $1000 or more to buy them individually.

It is also for someone who regularly purchases all of our products and updates and would rather have a fixed charge they can depend on than have to evaluate each update individually.

It is also for us, since a lot of the power of our tools comes from using them together, we want to make it easier for someone to have everything rather than constantly accounting for users who have one product and not another.

Brad Lawryk

Trial periods would be very very helpful.

As an alternative, I would certainly not be opposed to 'subscribers' getting an additional discount for purchasing.

For example; I would not think twice about getting a subscription to have access to the ones I don't use very much and perhaps try something else out to see if it works. Thus allowing me to purchase and secure the ones I use all the time and not feel like I am paying for it twice.

Ultimately it would be wise for WebAssist to waive the monthly fee for subscription (keep the activation fee even) if you own one or more of the major suites. This would allow users that have already put forth a fair chunk of cash to have access to the lesser individual products and perhaps purchase them.

A system like that would allow those that choose to go the purchase route the opportunity to see if the products do what they need before they purchase. Could make the difference between a happy customer that knows ahead of time whether a product will do the job for them or not and one very disgruntled one that was forced to pay outright only to find its insufficient for what the buyer was under the impression it would do.

One of the biggest issues I gather form the discussions is the alienating of customers that have just recently paid full price or are willing to pay full price. Anyways, I'll leave it at that. I have said enough on the subject. ;-)

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...