close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Your tutorial Dynamic Dropdowns with Data Bridge 2.0 is not working with my project. The reason seems to be the database structure.

Thread began 3/01/2019 3:36 am by Jonas | Last modified 3/12/2019 4:15 pm by Ray Borduin | 489 views | 5 replies |

Jonas

The tutorial Dynamic Dropdowns with Data Bridge 2.0 is not working with my project. The reason seems to be the database structure.

I have tried to start from your tutorial Dynamic Dropdowns with Data Bridge 2.0 to create a corresponding dynamic dropdown for my project.

But its not working. The reason seems to be the structure that the tables in the tutorials have.

It does not feel realistic given the normalization of databases to have two tables with the same content in. As in your case where the cities name is in text in both tables.

The more logical here is, I guess - is that the field 'teamTown' in the table 'teams' instead contains a number that refers to the corresponding field 'townName' in the table 'towns'. That's how my database is built.

See the attached picture of how my structure looks.

How do I create a dynamic dropdown in this case?

I guess I need to change the code from step 2: Define child page recordset, in the tutorial in someway, but I don't know how?

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

It doesn't change anything whether you use a text or ID column. You just specify the ID column instead of the text column as the value of the parent dropdown and use it when specifying the relationships. There really is no difference, but I agree your structure is the more accepted technique.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Jonas

Okey, thanks Ray, now this works!

Now to my next question.

One of my webpage is made up of three design elements: menu, article and aside.

The menu part consists mainly of a menu that shows different cateogories.

In the article section, I want to show bootstrap cards that belong to the selected category from the menu above.

The aside section should display the contents of the card the user chooses.

The user experience should be in three steps. First you choose category. Then you choose a card. And lastly, the contents of the selected card are displayed.

I think I can use Dynamic Dropdown menu DataBridge 2.0 for this. But I do not know how - because this differs too much from the tutorial. Can you tell me how this should be done. Thanks in advance!

The more help I can get the better. But I understand if this is too much requested. If only I had understood how to think - it would have made it easier in any case.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

It is too complex for me to walk you through in the forum. You should be able to use the same concepts as you find in the Dynamic Dropdowns tutorial though. The dynamic section doesn't have to be a dropdown... it can be images or a form or whatever you need for your application.

It might make sense to use a premier support ticket to help with this due to the complexity.

Jonas

Okay, I understand. But can you at least give me a tip on how I can create so-called cards instead of a list menu? Unfortunately, the tutorial is far too general and unfortunately it does not help me. Which I hope you had wanted when you created this. Thanks in advance!

Ray BorduinWebAssist

Add cards to the plugin instead of a list. The content of the loaded plugin can be anything.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...