close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

how to make a file field to remember the file to upload after server validation fails?

Thread began 6/21/2017 7:36 am by tony | Last modified 1/31/2018 9:24 am by Ray Borduin | 723 views | 4 replies |

tony

how to make a file field to remember the file to upload after server validation fails?

Hi All,
I've set a large form with lots of fields and applied the PERSIST FORM data to populate all field and retain entered data after validation fails.
All text field, select, checkbox and textarea are fine but I cannot find a way to make FILE field to remember the file to upload when validation fails.
Is there a way to use PERSIST DATA in file fields?
TIA
tony

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

You can use the "Validated Entry" values from the bindings. If you need to use both, then add a url parameter to the failed validation in the server validations server behavior like: mypage.php?fail=1

Then you can use a conditional statement to show one value or the other like:

php:
<?php echo((isset($_GET['fail']))?[ValidatedEntryFromBindings]:[PersistentValue]); ?>
Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

tony

Originally Said By: Ray Borduin
  You can use the "Validated Entry" values from the bindings. If you need to use both, then add a url parameter to the failed validation in the server validations server behavior like: mypage.php?fail=1

Then you can use a conditional statement to show one value or the other like:
php:
<?php echo((isset($_GET['fail']))?[ValidatedEntryFromBindings]:[PersistentValue]); ?>

Hi Ray,
I cannot understand you reply completely.
So, I bind the validated entry to the file field and then?
What do you mean by "if you need to use both"?
TIA
tony

Ray BorduinWebAssist

You probably don't need to use both, so try binding to the validated entry and see if that is enough for you.

Sometimes if you allow people to go back to previous pages before storing in the database you may want to be able to use the persistent form value if it exists, but use the validated field value if the submit fails... that is what I mean by use both, really one or the other based on whether the form validation just failed or not.

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

tony

Hi Ray,
just an update on this issue.
Standard browsers do not allow file field to retain persistent data. Ok, I can understand.
So, going back to previous page and re-submitting the same form (with a file field) would produce errors for required file field. This is ok and I'm fine with it.
But now chrome behaves in another way: if you go back to the form page and re-submit the page without re-selecting any file, it will not throw any error and the form is submitted.
This happens only with Chrome (v.63 or v.64). Firefox and Edge work as expected.
What can I do to make the form work consistently across all browser?
Actually I checked the REQUIRED checkbox for the file fields and it seems to stop chrome to submit if no file is selected.

Perhaps Chrome is the new IE6?

Thanks in advance for any help.
tony

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...