close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Show Region if not logged in not functioning properly on one particular iPad

Thread began 8/11/2015 5:24 am by Justin@AdventDesign | Last modified 8/20/2015 8:08 am by Ray Borduin | 2739 views | 27 replies |

Justin@AdventDesign

Show Region if not logged in not functioning properly on one particular iPad

I've created a web app that utilizes security assist Show Region if function to determine different levels of user login and authentication. It works flawlessly across all devices and browsers, with one exception. The client has one particular iPad, I'm told an older one, for which the Show Region function doesn't seem to work. For instance, there is a login form that is set to show only if the user is not logged in, but for some reason, that login form remains hidden on that particular device even if the user is not logged in.

I'm awaiting more information on the exact iPad version, iOS version and browser, but I'm looking for direction on troubleshooting. What sorts of functionality within the device would prevent the Show Region function from operating properly? I had thought with PHP it would be primarily a server side function, but apparently there's something else to it.

Sign in to reply to this post

Ray BorduinWebAssist

That code is entirely server side, so I can't imagine why it wouldn't be working on a particular device. It really shouldn't be possible, particularly for something that would show if you are not logged in.

Do you have an auto-login feature? Maybe they are logged in and just don't know it?

Did this help? Tips are appreciated...

Justin@AdventDesign

Yes there is a 'keep me logged in feature', but if they are logged in, alternative content is supposed to show. Instead, it appears anything within any of the "show region" PHP code doesn't show.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

It is all server side, so if you have two sections one that says "show if logged in" and one for "show if not logged in" it would seem impossible that both would not appear on a particular device, since that code and determination is made on the server and I can't imagine how the device would matter.

Maybe the fact that it displays or doesn't has nothing to do with the show if at all, but something to do with the actual HTML displayed.

If you create a copy of the page and remove the show if server code does it display on this particular iPad?

Justin@AdventDesign

Yes. Simply removing the PHP show if code wrapping the section allows that section to be shown on that particular ipad.

Justin@AdventDesign

OK, I just got off the phone with the client and we have a little new information. Up until this point it was one and only one device that had the issue. However, they just informed me that they had the same problem on a desktop PC, with one new bit of info. On both devices it happened after the client logged in, used the app, then closed the browser and later went back to the app to use it again, only to find none of the show if sections were displayed. So it appears to happen after a login and the browser is closed out and then you revisit the page. I'm attaching the page below to see if you can shed any light on it...

Ray BorduinWebAssist

I'd need a url and steps to reproduce to pair with the code to see what is going on.

Justin@AdventDesign

Well, I haven't been able to reproduce it on my end. Following the exact same path as they outline, I'm not getting any problems, but see private message.

Ray BorduinWebAssist

It looks like the first region is using:
"Logged in, Level 2"

and the second region is using:
NOT "Logged in to users"

So it seems like it would be possible for both to not be true and therefor no content.

If you want to make sure that one or the other is always displayed then you should be using:
"Logged in to users"

and
NOT "Logged in to users"

for the two display areas.

Justin@AdventDesign

But there's a third section "Logged in but not approved" which is set to Logged in at Level 1. So whether they are not logged in, logged in at level 1 or logged in at level 2, there will be a section shown. I've tested all three states, and all three so the proper section on my system, whether users are the default level 1, level 2, or not logged in at all.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...