close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Multiple sites using same data

Thread began 7/26/2014 4:57 am by mel321998 | Last modified 7/28/2014 11:36 am by Jason Byrnes | 1445 views | 3 replies |

mel321998

Multiple sites using same data

Hello,

Would be grateful for some guidance of how to best implement the following:

I have several sites NOT all on the same server, the sites are on dedicated servers under my control

I want to display the same data on all sites (or at least parts of it by using different detail pages)
the pages include thumbnail images for the area pages and 6+ plus pics on an individual record page

Only the master site would have admin to create, amend, delete records etc

I already run a third party CMS on one of the sites which I will move over to PowerCMS

Any suggestions as to how you would run lets say 6 sites all using the same data

My other thought is not to use CMS at all and to stick to databases

My one thought is to use Navicat to keep all databases up to date but that does not solve keeping the picture upload file
updated and have powerCMS on all sites to ensure uniformity of file and query structure but still would have to overcome
updating problems

Any thoughts on a manageable solution as to how you guys would implement this would be much appreciated

Thank you - Mel

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

My other thought is not to use CMS at all and to stick to databases  

A CMS System uses a database.

The whole idea of a CMS system is to store the content in a database.

Set each of you sites up to connect to the same Database, for the pictures use a full URL in the image source so that each site is looking for the images at the same place.

only put the CMS admin on the one main site.

mel321998

Hello Jason,

What I meant about not using CMS was if I have a site already designed perhaps I would be better off just using DataAssist to build Insert, Update, Delete records rather than using CMS

Your suggestion about using the full url for the images, is something I wanted to avoid from a Google/SEO perspective, which is why I was looking for a way to replicate the master database (which can be done without problem using navicat) and updating the slave databases but my problem is how to get the images over to each of the sites automatically?

I am assuming if all the databases are set with the same table names and the image upload file is called the same then all sites should function independently or is my thinking of course a bit here

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

you could use either CMS or Use Data bridge to create the admin files manually, either way will work

as for the images, there is not an automated way to upload images from the admin to multiples sites, that was why I suggested using full urls.

If the images wont be changing, then just make sure they are all uploaded to each site and it should work.

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...