close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

site was fine and 'suddenly' not

Thread began 4/21/2014 7:39 am by Jamie | Last modified 4/21/2014 8:52 am by Jason Byrnes | 1944 views | 12 replies |

Jamie

site was fine and 'suddenly' not

Hi Jason

am not sure what has happened but for 'suddenly' (and not sure when as I was only advised of this yesterday by the client) a site that was workign absolutely fine and all content was being displayed as 'expected' is now not doing so.

On every page of this site, http://www.doghollow.co.uk, the main content is now being shown below the left hand column content and the content within the main content area looks like its being listed.

the site has been live, with no issues, for months now and cant find what is causing this issue at all. have been usign firebug to try and find the errant code but cant find it..... I woudl really appreciate your help when you get a chance please

Many thanks

Jamie

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Using Fire Bug to analyze the page, the content div is inside the left column div.

the content div should not be nested inside the left column div.

I seem recall you had a similar problem in another site before that ended up being caused by one of the 3rd part script libraries you had added. I had noticed a similar nesting problem, but when you inspected the pages code, the content div was not nested, not sure.

But at any rate, the content div being nested in the left column div is the cause of the problem.

Jamie

actually it seems to be content related rather than css...

if i delete or hide the latest entry in the blog, this makes every page revert to how it should look... but as soon as the most recent blog is added something is buggering up the content area....

I have also tried leaving the latest blog post in and added a test one and it seems to be that one specific blog article that is causing it to happen...

Jamie

sorry posts seem to have crossed.... will look at the nested div as well but it is defintley one single blog post that is causing the issue.

if i leave it in and add a new blog post, everything goes back to normal... if I then re-create the offending blog post then it goes back to throwing things out...

edit... just looking at the nesting issue and the content div and left column areboth within the contentWrapper div but not nested within each other....

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

look for unbalanced tags in the blog post, most likely there is an extra closing or opening div tag, that would explain why the content div is being nested in the left panel

Jamie

OK, think I have narrowed it down to the " that the client has used in the post and have had problems with her keyboard in the past (and not got any resolution on it)

but why would that throw off all other pages as well rather than just the blog list and the article page itself?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

No idea, I couldn't say without seeing it, and you seam to have removed it.

Jamie

OK have put it back to the way it was....

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

viewing the source code for the page, i see the following for the blogg:

<a href="blogarticle.php?ID=134-Confusing Alpha"> Confusing Alpha </a>
<div style="margin-top:10px;"></div>
Alpha meaning “denoting the dominant animal or human in a particular group” (Oxford English Dictionary)

<p... </div>
<div class="panelBase"></div>
</div>

it seams to not like the weird p tag:
<p... </div>

Jamie

this is the actual content code that is being stored in the database and shown in the editor in the backend:

<p>Alpha meaning “denoting the dominant animal or human in a particular group” (Oxford English Dictionary)</p>

<p>Dominant meaning “Having power or influence over others” (Oxford English Dictionary)</p>

I am sure its down to the "" that the clients keyboard kicks out but have never got to the bottom of why etc.

But why would this affect the WHOLE site rather than the pages that this content is being shown on (eg the blog list page and the article page itself?

edit actually I think i have answered it myself... its to do with the blog panel that is on each page... thats why its affecting every page on the site

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...