close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Advice on creating a product update form - image updating, thumbnail creating, text updating

Thread began 3/20/2014 5:42 am by Nathon Jones Web Design | Last modified 3/26/2014 1:40 pm by Nathon Jones Web Design | 3663 views | 30 replies |

Nathon Jones Web Design

Advice on creating a product update form - image updating, thumbnail creating, text updating

In a CMS that we're building I'd like to have forms for adding and updating products on a website.
What is the best approach, using WebAssist extensions, in order to achieve this?
We need:

1) Basic text form fields (to add/update thing like the title, price, weight etc)
2) Drop-down menus (that are populated dynamically using recordsets but that retain the correct value should we be editing a product)
3) Textarea form fields that will allow users to enter formatted text with <p> tags for paragraph breaks.
4) File upload form fields that will allow users to upload product photographs (option to create a thumbnail on the fly?)

We've used so many solutions over the years (Interakt, DMXzone etc) and we just want to streamline this into one extension, or one set of extensions, if at all possible.

Would appreciate any advice offered, thank you.
NJ

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

see the eCommerce tutorial for creating a product catalog, it includes a section for creating the admin pages to insert and update product details:

http://www.webassist.com/tutorials/Create-a-product-catalog-eCommerce-Series

When running the Data Assist wizard to create the product admin pages, in the Field settings section of the manage pages tab, you select for fields to be text areas, lists and file fields. For lists, you can specify them to use another table like categories to populate.

the Data Assist wizard can be configured to create the results, update and insert pages. The results page will have a link to the update page and the update page will be pre populated with the selected record.

Nathon Jones Web Design

I already have my database connection and product catalogue in place which I created without using DataAssist.
I'm simply looking to create two forms...an INSERT product and an UPDATE product form.

Am I going to be able to do this without running through the DataAssist wizard?

Also, I can't see anything in the tutorial you've highlighted about uploading images, creating textareas with formatting etc. It just seems to deal with simple text input fields.

Hope you can direct me to the right place/solution.
Thank you.
NJ

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

without using the data assist wizard, you will need to do it manually. we don't have a tutorial for this, it would be simpler to use the wizard to create the pages, using the wizard you can configure everything you asked about within the wizard.

The tutorial may not mention anything about file upload, and text areas, but if you become familiar with using the wizard, you will see, as I said in my reply, that they can be easily added:

"When running the Data Assist wizard to create the product admin pages, in the Field settings section of the manage pages tab, you select for fields to be text areas, lists and file fields. For lists, you can specify them to use another table like categories to populate."

Nathon Jones Web Design

I'm happy to work without the DataAssist wizard because it means that I won't have to recreate pages that already exist.

Can you forward instruction on how I create a file upload option using WebAssist extensions?
I also need to insert what I formerly knew as iRite on some textarea fields. What is that called now and how do I access it?

Thank you.
NJ

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the tutorial section of our site is searchable

go here:
http://www.webassist.com/tutorials

in the keywords section enter:
"file upload"
the first 2 results are:
http://www.webassist.com/tutorials/Add-file-fields-to-Data-Bridge-insert-update-pages

http://www.webassist.com/tutorials/Apply-file-upload-or-download

iRite is now HTML editor, see the getting started guide here:
http://www.webassist.com/tutorials/Getting-started-with-HTML-Editor

Nathon Jones Web Design

Thank you Jason.

Is the File Manager aspect of HTML Editor different to the file fields option for the Data Bridge insert / update pages?

We want our user to be able to upload up to 3 product images one of which would be a thumbnail of the main image.

Much appreciated.
NJ

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Yes, the file manager is different from the file upload.

Nathon Jones Web Design

Ok, let me re-phrase that question...which should we use to achieve what I have described?
Is the File Manager function to allow people to upload images within their formatted text?

Also, you might want to have a look at the text on the page you highlighted:
http://www.webassist.com/tutorials/Add-file-fields-to-Data-Bridge-insert-update-pages

...there appear to be some odd HTML sections such as step 4 in the Applying to your Update page:
4.Change <input type=%u201Dtext%u201D> to <input type=%u201Dhidden%u201D>.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

to upload multiple files, you will need to have multiple file fields, and multiple upload behaviors.

you could also use the file manager, but again, you would need multiple instances on the page.

I sugest you experiment with each to see the differences and determine which suits your needs best.

I will forward the comment about the tutorial to the documentation team

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...