close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Moved To New Computer - Can't Get DB Connection

Thread began 2/04/2014 7:49 am by David in Mississippi | Last modified 3/22/2014 6:39 pm by David in Mississippi | 3353 views | 14 replies |

David in Mississippi

Moved To New Computer - Can't Get DB Connection

My old computer, which worked beautifully with PowerCMS and other DB connections, crashed. Thanks to a good warranty, I now have a brand new computer and have installed all my old software on it (including Dreamweaver) and it's all working fine. I have reinstalled all my WebAssist tools and am trying to get them working.

For the first client I'm working on that uses PowerCMS, I set up the main server and tested it, got a good connection. I then duplicated that server as a testing server, tested it, and got a good connection.

When I opened up a client's page that has PowerCMS content, I get the message "Content Area Not Found." So I went to the Dreamweaver DATABASES tab and opened the PowerCMSConnection MySQL connection dialog, and clicked the TEST button. I got Error 404 file not found. I tried configuring both the main and testing servers with and without passive FTP, with and without IPV6 Transfer Mode, and with and without using the alternative FTP Move Method. All tests connected successfully to the server, and each resulted in the 404 error when trying to connect to the database.

HOWEVER, I know the client site works, because their on-site PowerCMS is working fine for them. I just can't get Dreamweaver to connect to the database. I know the PowerCMSConnection is good because it worked fine on the previous machine.

I'm using DW6 on Win7-64 with 16GB RAM.

What am I doing wrong? How can I get Dreamweaver to connect to the database? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the 404 error indicates a bad Web URL in the testing server settings.

make sure that the proper web address is entered in the WebURL setting.

if the FTP connection connects to a location outside of the site root, you may also need to add a root directory.

David in Mississippi

Thanks so much for your response. This is a very frustrating error. This kind of great support is a wonderful thing.

If this were not a proper web address, wouldn't I be unable to connect to the server when I click TEST on setting up the server? When I click TEST, I get the notification "Dreamweaver connected to your server successfully."

Also, everything I do is at public_html as site root, so my server root directory is set to /public_html. Is this wrong? (It still tests as connecting successfully.)

The testing server duplicates the main server, only the checkboxes Remote and Testing are different on the Site Setup panel.

Thanks again for your help.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

testing the connection only tests the ability for dreamweaver to make an FTP connction.

it has nothing to do with the Web URL

When you test the database connection it places files on the site, then uses the web URL to access them

the 404 error means that the web URL is pointing to a different location then the FTP connection is connecting to.

make sure to use the proper URL for the Web URL in the testing server settings.

David in Mississippi

I'm not trying to be obtuse, really. But I'm confused.

The 404 error indicates the testing server does not map to http://www.sogomusicms.com/public_html/_mmServerScripts/MMHTTPDB.php.

I opened FileZilla and looked on the site and found that PHP file at that location.

Back in Dreamweaver, in the Basic Server configuration dialog for the testing server, the Web URL is http://www.sogomusicms.com/public_html/

It seems to me that the testing server IS mapped properly, and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. The text following the 404 message is no help. Your advice to "make sure to use the proper URL for the Web URL in the testing server settings" is undoubtedly accurate, but I thought I WAS using the proper URL.

It's probably something forehead-slapping simple, but I can't see it. I really appreciate your forbearance.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

the web url should not contain the public_html/ folder. it should be just:

http://www.sogomusicms.com/

David in Mississippi

FONT SIZE="3 million" COLOR="Relieved" ... WHEW!! /FONT

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!! !!!!!! (That solution worked!)
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, why can't Dreamweaver give simple and unmistakable instructions!?!?

Again, thank you for your patience and sticking with me on this.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

glad to hear you got it working.

David in Mississippi

Still Not Working

Yes, it's been more than a month since I got the Database Connection working - THANKS for your help on that!

But I am still getting "Content Area Not Found" on my DW web pages. (I got involved in a huge project meantime. That one's done.) I just opened up the databases panel and tested both database connections:PowerCMSConnection and RootConnect, and both said "Successfully connected to database."

However, the CMS content areas on the web pages still display "Content Area Not Found."

This was working fine on my old computer, and I haven't changed anything. Everything I said earlier in this thread about my computer and the website is still valid. I'm really scratching my head over this. Thanks so much for any help you can give.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

Please provide a Skype username or a US phone number and a good time to contact you when you will be in front of your computer and we will have an engineer contact you to resolve this issue over the phone.

We are available Monday - Friday from 9am - 4pm EST (except major U.S. holidays).

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...