close ad

Important WebAssist Announcement
open ad
View Menu

Technical Support Forums

Free, outstanding support from WebAssist and your colleagues

rating

Can't find the tutorial

Thread began 1/05/2014 8:41 pm by jen425288 | Last modified 1/14/2014 5:01 pm by Jason Byrnes | 2786 views | 10 replies |

jen425288

Can't find the tutorial

I'm back here after a couple of years. A client wants some new access rules and I've forgotten how to do it. I'm sure there used to be a tutorial somewhere on this site but can't find it anywhere - just a "getting started with SecurityAssist tutorial. Is there an index page somewhere for tutorials? Even better, can someone supply a link?

Sign in to reply to this post

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

to create a new access rule, go to WebAssist - Security Assist -> Manage Site Access -> Access Rules Manager.

I'm not sure of the tutorial you are referring to, but if you need more help, please post some specifics of what you are trying to accomplish and what part of the process you need help with.

jen425288

Yes, I know where to go but once that window is open there are certain steps to take. I remember following step-by-step instructions last time. WebAssist does provide instructions, yes? Perhaps it was just written instructions?

But I think I may have another problem - I have uninstalled Xampp since I last did this, and I need a local server, don't I. Is there any way of doing this via phpMyadmin instead?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

I'm not familiar with the tutorial you refer to, if you provide details on what you want the rule to do, i can provide details on how to create it.

as for the testing server, phpMyAdmin is used for managing the contents of the database. it has nothing to do with the code.

you will either need to install a local testing server, or set up the DW Site to use the remote server as the testing server as well.

jen425288

Jason, what I want to do, what I've always needed to do, is very complex but this thread describes my needs. If you skip to the end you'll see the solution I found.
http://www.webassist.com/forums/posts.php?id=21330

For the tutorial, I need step by step instructions for what to do in the Access Rules Manager window that opens for adding a new rule. I have attached an image. Specifically, after I click the plus sign (which I'm assuming is the first thing I do), what next?

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

i still don't follow what it is that you want the access rules to accomplish.

I can give you the steps, but only if I understand your needs.

please describe in your own words what you need help figuring out how to accomplish and i can tell you how to go about it.

jen425288

Jason, thanks for pointing out that I can set up the site to use the remote server as the testing server. That completely solves my local server issue.

Does WebAssist provide any instructions for using the Access Rules Manager? Please just tell me how to access the instructions, as they will probably answer all my questions. If not, I will lay out my problem here.

Jason ByrnesWebAssist

There is not a specific tutorial for creating access rules.

the basic concept of the access rules is to add conditional to determine the site access based on variables.

for example, by default the authenticate user server behavior creates a session variable that contains the users ID.

you could edit the authenticate user server behavior on the sessions tab to save other user column in session as well, lets say you had a user gorup column and wanted to create user level access. you would edit the authenticate user beahvior to save the user group as a session variable, then create an access rile to use the user group session

in the access rule, add a condition as:

Allow If
for the Value, click the lightning bolt icon and select the user group session
for the criteria select "="
for the comparison enter 1

this will create a rule to allow access if the user group session has a value of 1

the double option in tutorial contains an example of setting an access rule in the Create the restrict access rule section:
http://www.webassist.com/community/tutorials/view_tutorial.php?tid=20

jen425288

OK, looks like that link at the end was what I needed all along. Thanks.

jen425288

Right, next problem. I created a new Access Rule. Or, I thought I did. Followed the directions, then when I clicked OK and was back at the list of rules, it was there in the list.

But the next time I opened the Access Rules Manager, it wasn't there any more. What could that be?

Build websites with a little help from your friends

Your friends over here at WebAssist! These Dreamweaver extensions will assist you in building unlimited, custom websites.

Build websites from already-built web applications

These out-of-the-box solutions provide you proven, tested applications that can be up and running now.  Build a store, a gallery, or a web-based email solution.

Want your website pre-built and hosted?

Close Windowclose

Rate your experience or provide feedback on this page

Account or customer service questions?
Please user our contact form.

Need technical support?
Please visit support to ask a question

Content

rating

Layout

rating

Ease of use

rating

security code refresh image

We do not respond to comments submitted from this page directly, but we do read and analyze any feedback and will use it to help make your experience better in the future.

Close Windowclose

We were unable to retrieve the attached file

Close Windowclose

Attach and remove files

add attachmentAdd attachment
Close Windowclose

Enter the URL you would like to link to in your post

Close Windowclose

This is how you use right click RTF editing

Enable right click RTF editing option allows you to add html markup into your tutorial such as images, bulleted lists, files and more...

-- click to close --

Uploading file...